IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Have factory sound system, want to upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-09, 07:59 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by tqlla3k

Why are you in such denial about your head unit? Reading your post, I wouldnt be surprised if you were crying while you are typing.
Are you reading the same thread I am? I've maintained the entire time I don't -know- if they're different or not. You're the one who keeps getting emotional everytime someone suggests you're wrong... insisting every time you wouldn't respond anymore then doing so anyway...Projection perhaps?

What do you think it being different would get you? I have already proven to you that your ML doesnt support Surround sound.
No you didn't. I can't imagine where you think you did. All you did was insist you were right, offering 0 evidence whatsoever. You've shown that the P.Sel versus Surround setting was a function of the amp. I have an ML amp. Where in the world do you then conclude from that I do NOT have surround sound?

What do you think that SPDIF transmission of MP3/FM/AM/WMA CD-audio will get you?
A cleaner signal perhaps. Playback of DTS CDs for another. We already established that a CD player with SPDIF can play those after all.
Old 01-07-09, 08:14 AM
tqlla3k
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Come on man. Does your CD player have DTS or Dolby Digital or DVD audio stamped on it?
No. Why do you think that is?
Old 01-07-09, 08:56 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Come on man. Does your CD player have DTS or Dolby Digital or DVD audio stamped on it?
No. Why do you think that is?
Yesterday you were sure the "stamp" on the front of the unit (where mine says ML) didn't mean it did anything differently than the HW without the stamp.

Now the stamp is important?

What a difference a day makes!

BTW, got a quick break in the rain and ran outside and poped the cover above the amp... there's 3 connections going into it as far as I can tell, but I can't see what they are since they're at the back of the amp, right near the wall of the trunk...and the weather was too bad to try and get tools out, unbolt the amp, and remove the whole thing for nearer inspection.

Anyone got a pic of the back of an ML 2IS amp? I'd easily be able to tell what's populated and what isn't with the visual reference against where I saw the cables going.
Old 01-07-09, 08:57 AM
benzo555
Lexus Test Driver

Come on guys.. both of yall are kicking a dead horse.

tqlla3k so basically you just swapped the reg non ml unit to a nav/ml unit without changing the amp and speakers to your cousin's car? Did you have to run additional wires?
Old 01-07-09, 09:50 AM
RU514
Lead Lap

tqlla3k,

Just wondering where you bought the ML DVD changer for, how much, and if you have the part number for it?

Right now, I have NAV without ML so I really want to get the DVD Changer. I'm guessing all I have to do is buy the DVD changer unit (bottom part of NAV) and it's going to be plug and play swap?

Thanks
Old 01-07-09, 12:01 PM
tqlla3k
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by benzo555
Come on guys.. both of yall are kicking a dead horse.

tqlla3k so basically you just swapped the reg non ml unit to a nav/ml unit without changing the amp and speakers to your cousin's car? Did you have to run additional wires?
Well, I installed Nav and ML into my cousins car. The Amp and Speakers were unchanged.

Its a beast of a job. I would not suggest doing it, unless you are very comfortable with cutting a lot of wires. There are about 40 wires that must be spliced in order to get the Nav unit working.
Old 01-07-09, 12:19 PM
Salil022
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Where can you buy these DVD Audio format discs? on a regular burned cd's sound is not much different than non ml.
Old 01-07-09, 12:29 PM
popz3210
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To ask an eairler question again, If you have nav could just plug and play swap the CD changer for a DVD changer?
Old 01-07-09, 12:30 PM
tqlla3k
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by iskcon
tqlla3k,

Just wondering where you bought the ML DVD changer for, how much, and if you have the part number for it?

Right now, I have NAV without ML so I really want to get the DVD Changer. I'm guessing all I have to do is buy the DVD changer unit (bottom part of NAV) and it's going to be plug and play swap?

Thanks
I dont see why it wouldnt work. I looked at the back of NAV and ML Nav units. They are the same. And the ML Amplifier is not a requirement for sound from DVD movies. The bad news is

1) You need a J63 cable. Its a blue video cable that attaches from the DVD unit to the Navigation unit. This cable is a part of the cars wiring harness, and I do not think you can get it seperately

2) The ML DVD changer is very expensive($2500-$3000).

I got extremely lucky with that NAV/ML unit. Someone in the classifieds section was selling it with the cars wiring harness. No one wanted to pay money for something they were not sure would work.

I bought it for extremely cheap and sat on it for a year, until someone from on this board installed it in his car. He helped me with what wires needed to be spliced. Unfortunately by that time I had already sold my 06, non nav car and special ordered a NAV/ML car. Which is why I installed it in my cousins car.

Last edited by tqlla3k; 01-07-09 at 12:40 PM.
Old 01-07-09, 12:32 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Salil022
Where can you buy these DVD Audio format discs? on a regular burned cd's sound is not much different than non ml.
Sadly (or happily if you can't play em anyway I suppose) neither 5.1 DTS CDs nor DVD-Audio discs (or SACDs) ever caught on as a thriving format... so very very little was ever released on any of em... You can still find some examples of all of the above formats for sale online, but selection is limited and don't expect the hottest new releases.

I don't think any common home-use burning software will burn any of these formats, but there's some higher end software that will, if you have a valid source to burn em from.

Here's one place that seems to carry some stuff, tower records has some too (online anyway)

http://www.5point1.com/Products.html
Old 01-07-09, 12:36 PM
Salil022
Instructor

How else can you hear that good dolby surround sound without spending almost $100 per discs
Old 01-07-09, 12:46 PM
tqlla3k
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Salil022
How else can you hear that good dolby surround sound without spending almost $100 per discs
Your best bet would be to buy music DVDs. They usually have a 5.1 track on them.

The ML units do not support DVD-A anyway. Even though they claim to support DVD-A, the ML units will only play the DTS or DD track. If those Tracks do not exist on the DVD-A... then no audio will play.
Old 01-07-09, 12:52 PM
Salil022
Instructor

will definitely give that a try.....Any good place to get those for reasonable price and good selection?
Old 01-07-09, 01:02 PM
tqlla3k
Lexus Test Driver

Amazon. Hell Freezes over by the eagles is a good one to start with.