IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Have factory sound system, want to upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-09, 04:47 AM
tqlla3k
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why dont you try it then?

Audio CDs are Stereo. You can put video or or a data stream on there, or a MS word document. That doesnt mean your player will play it. Will your Player play DVD audio or Video as advertised on Levinsons site?

Last edited by tqlla3k; 01-07-09 at 05:05 AM.
Old 01-07-09, 05:03 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by tqlla3k
Why dont you try it then

Audio CDs are Stereo. You can put video or or a data stream on there, or a MS word document. That doesnt mean your player will play it. Will your Player play DVD audio or Video as advertised on Levinsons site?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/5.1_Music_Disc

CDs are whatever you encode on em.

Including DTS 5.1.

They sell commerical 5.1 DTS CDs.

Here's one for example.

http://www.elusivedisc.com/prodinfo....mber=DMPDTS803

I suspect my player would play DVD-Audio just fine if you actually had a DVD source available.

Still waiting for you to explain how the ML and non-ML head units can be the same (according to you) yet have physically different buttons and different menu options too.
Old 01-07-09, 05:11 AM
tqlla3k
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Kurtz
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/5.1_Music_Disc

CDs are whatever you encode on em.

Including DTS 5.1.

They sell commerical 5.1 DTS CDs.

Here's one for example.

http://www.elusivedisc.com/prodinfo....mber=DMPDTS803

I suspect my player would play DVD-Audio just fine if you actually had a DVD source available.

Still waiting for you to explain how the ML and non-ML head units can be the same (according to you) yet have physically different buttons and different menu options too.
On the Bottom of my unit, it DVD Video/Audio, Dolby Digital, DTS, WMA and MP3 are stampped on the bottom.

Does your CD player denote DTS or Dolby Digital? I already know that the answer is NO!

You can put a Word Document on a CD. That doesnt make it an Audio CD. A 5.1 DTS stream on a CD is not an audio CD. Can you play these 5.1 DTS CDs on a regular CD player? NO, that is meant to work in a DVD player. I can put a 1080P encode on a DVD, does that mean it will work in a DVD player?
Old 01-07-09, 05:22 AM
tqlla3k
Lexus Test Driver

I have the answer, but I am not going to answer someone who will post "Youre WRONG, Youre Wrong, youre wrong"... when they dont know what they are talking about.

You wont listen. I am done. Go ahead and buy your DVD audio, and order your DTS CD

Last edited by tqlla3k; 01-07-09 at 05:26 AM.
Old 01-07-09, 05:30 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

You can put a Word Document on a CD. That doesnt make it an Audio CD. A 5.1 DTS stream on a CD is not an audio CD. Can you play these 5.1 DTS CDs on a regular CD player? NO, that is meant to work in a DVD player. I can put a 1080P encode on a DVD, does that mean it will work in a DVD player?

I see you didn't bother to read any of the links provided... well done!

A 5.1 DTS stream on a CD IS an audio CD. It plays in a normal CD player, so long as the hardware will decode DTS.

That's the POINT of the format.

Let me quote the relevant info for you:

"The DTS-CD, DTS Audio CD or 5.1 Music Disc (official name) is an audio Compact Disc that contains music in surround sound format.

Physically, it conforms to the Red Book standard, except for the way the music is encoded on the CD. Where regular CDs store the music as linear PCM, the DTS-CD stores music using the DTS format, with the same fixed bitrate as 16-bit linear PCM, namely 1,411,200 bit/s or roughly 1,378 Kib/s.

As opposed to other surround formats, such as Super Audio CD and DVD-Audio, which require a specialized player, a DTS-CD is compatible with most standard CD players with a digital (S/PDIF) output.

CD players recognize the disk as a standard audio CD. The only requirement is a receiver that can decode DTS audio."

Did you notice the part that directly contradicts your claims there?

If you refuse to address anyone who proves you wrong on something, well, that's more a personal issue of yours than anything topical to the forum.
Old 01-07-09, 05:35 AM
tqlla3k
Lexus Test Driver

MP3 on a CD is NOT an audio CD. DTS on a CD is not an audio CD.

If you are so confident that I am wrong, then buy it. And tell me when it fails.

The answer to why it will fail, is in one of my previous posts

Last edited by tqlla3k; 01-07-09 at 05:40 AM.
Old 01-07-09, 05:49 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

MP3 on a CD is NOT an audio CD. DTS on a CD is not an audio CD.

If you are so confident that I am wrong, then buy it. And tell me when it fails.

The answer to why it will fail, is in one of my previous posts

Can you explain how you seem to know more than the -definition of the audio format- does?

You know, the one that directly contradicts you and states it IS an audio CD and that it is recognized as such by standard CD players? Lemme quote it again for you "CD players recognize the disk as a standard audio CD."

Still waiting for your explanation of how the two CD head units are identical despite having physically different buttons and different menu options too.
Old 01-07-09, 05:57 AM
tqlla3k
Lexus Test Driver

Can you explain how you seem to know more than the -definition of the audio format- does?

You know, the one that directly contradicts you and states it IS an audio CD and that it is recognized as such by standard CD players? Lemme quote it again for you "CD players recognize the disk as a standard audio CD."

Still waiting for your explanation of how the two CD head units are identical despite having physically different buttons and different menu options too.
"a DTS-CD is compatible with most standard CD players with a digital (S/PDIF) output"

Why do you need SPDIF? Why do you need a receiver that can decode DTS? The answer is that the DATA needs to be streamed and decoded. DTS on a CD is not an Audio CD.

You have your wiki answer right there. You can find out for yourself if I am right or if Wikipedia is right. Buy a DTS CD and put it in your car.

Tell us when it fails.

Last edited by tqlla3k; 01-07-09 at 06:05 AM.
Old 01-07-09, 06:13 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Already on it's way

I figured it was appropriate to buy Hell Freezes Over.

Should sound great on the ML. Even if it doesn't it'll sound great on my home system that is connected with SPDIF, so not like I'm buying a coaster.

When it stops raining I'll also pop my trunk and see if the digital input on my ML amp is populated or not, which I think'd answer the question even quicker.

Still waiting for the explanation on how two identical head units have different buttons and menu options BTW. Why have a surround option on the CD-only ML system if it doesn't support surround?
Old 01-07-09, 06:34 AM
tqlla3k
Lexus Test Driver

You would be better off buying the Hell Freezes over DVD. It also has the DTS stream. But neither will work in your car.

Attached is the answer to your question about the different button on the HVAC controller(Note, that the HVAC controller is NOT a part of CD Player)

Position selection is NOT an option in factory cars with the Mark Levinson option. Yet, there it is in the picture. Why do you think that is? When you figure that out, you will have your answer.
Attached Thumbnails Have factory sound system, want to upgrade-picture-007.jpg  
Old 01-07-09, 06:39 AM
tqlla3k
Lexus Test Driver

Why have a surround option on the CD-only ML system if it doesn't support surround?
The surround sound is fake. Its Matrixed from 2 channels. Your CAR DOES Not support any Surround format.

As I stated earlier, my ML DVD player has DTS, Dolby Digital, DVD Video, DVD audio stamped on it. Your CD player does not, because it does not support DVD Audio, DTS or Dolby Digital
Old 01-07-09, 06:47 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Attached is the answer to your question about the different button on the HVAC controller(Note, that the HVAC controller is NOT a part of CD Player)

Position selection is NOT an option in factory cars with the Mark Levinson option. Yet, there it is in the picture. Why do you think that is? When you figure that out, you will have your answer.
So really, attached isn't an answer, it's you asking a question you claim to already know the answer to.

Huh...I thought this forum was for sharing information and answers... not riddles. My bad.

Last edited by Kurtz; 01-07-09 at 06:53 AM.
Old 01-07-09, 06:56 AM
tqlla3k
Lexus Test Driver

If you cant figure it out on your own, and wont listen to my answers... then I cant help you.

For the picture above, my cousin and I have ML DVD changers and Navigation units.
Yet, he has a position option and I dont.
His ML DVD changer/NAV was installed into his Non-Nav/Standard audio IS250... by Me
My ML system/NAV was installed by Lexus

The DVD units are the same, the Nav units are the same....So whats different?

Last edited by tqlla3k; 01-07-09 at 07:10 AM.
Old 01-07-09, 07:16 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

If you cant figure it out on your own, and wont listen to my answers... then I cant help you.

For the picture above, my cousin and I have ML DVD changers and Navigation units.
Yet, he has a position option and I dont.
His ML DVD changer/NAV was installed into his Non-Nav/Standard audio IS250... by Me
My ML system/NAV was installed by Lexus

The DVD units are the same, the Nav units are the same....So whats different?

The amp, I would assume, since you stated you didn't use the ML amp for his install.

I'm unclear how that has anything to do with the question I asked though.

It'd be nice if you could reply with an actual answer, rather than more riddles.

In fact, from everything you described, you've never -seen- the back of a head unit from an ML without nav car.

So I'm curious how you're so positive you know they're the same thing as the non-ML head unit.

Which was the original question after all, and had nothing to do with nav, which seems to be all you want to discuss.

Especially when yesterday you said you "think", it's "likely" and you "guess" but today you're positive and anyone who isn't positive has no idea what they're talking about.

Last edited by Kurtz; 01-07-09 at 07:32 AM.
Old 01-07-09, 07:45 AM
tqlla3k
Lexus Test Driver

I answered your question by example. "How can the CD units be the same despite having a different button(lack of position) on the controller"

So I showed you a DVD ML unit with a Position option in the controller(Nav unit). A factory NAV/ML wont have this feature. The picture itself shows you that P-select(position) is not determined by your CD unit.

Why are you in such denial about your head unit? Reading your post, I wouldnt be surprised if you were crying while you are typing.

What do you think it being different would get you? I have already proven to you that your ML doesnt support Surround sound. What do you think that SPDIF transmission of MP3/FM/AM/WMA CD-audio will get you?

Last edited by tqlla3k; 01-07-09 at 07:57 AM.

Quick Reply: Have factory sound system, want to upgrade