IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Advance Info on 2010 IS???

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-08, 08:57 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

With all other competitors having more hp in their cars, it's likely Lexus will give the next gen base IS more power. But don't expect that change for another two years when the car is redone. My prediction is they'll bring back a 3.0-sized V6 that is up on power yet still efficient.
Old 12-27-08, 09:13 PM
SeOuLiS250
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Emarati_K
maybe you guys were not treating the Infiniti very well. My brother has FX35 since 2006 till now not even a single problem..

It depends on how you are taking care of the car... You can't just blame something made out of Toyota or Nissan since they are reliable can you? unless many people out there are having problems with their car..
you have no idea how much I baby my CAR
is it my fault that my NAV just turned off by itself?
(I got this replaced 4 TIMES)
is it my fault that my driver side seat belt got locked for no reason
(this happens 3 TIMES) and when I call Infiniti, they had guts to ask me to
drive my car to the dealer when i told them that my seat belt wasn't working
and everyone knows that some Gs have oil linking problem

but yes...it really depends on how you take care your car
Old 12-27-08, 09:50 PM
JKA.nyc
Pole Position

I know you're looking into the IS, but if AWD is a must and you are craving the extra power and the Lexus experience maybe you should check out the GS 350 AWD, also it's overall length is about 4 inches smaller than the Infiniti M, not much but it's something.
Old 12-27-08, 09:50 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

JD Power'll tell you Lexus is a -lot- more reliable than Infiniti (or pretty much anyone else- Lexus has been #1 in that category for like 15 years straight now)

Lexus expects small AWD buyers to buy the 250. The 350 is for performance buyers, and AWD is terrible for performance unless you want performance on muddy rally courses. It adds weight and robs power.

If you want more power and AWD in a Lexus you'll be looking at the larger GS.

Honestly, almost nobody "needs" AWD- for most folks it's a crutch for people who refuse to learn to drive RWD cars properly and refuse to buy snow tires in the winter. Amazingly everyone drove just fine for most of last century, even in the north, with RWD cars and snow tires.
Old 12-27-08, 10:00 PM
CAIFAN_64
Lexus Champion

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Lexus is not going to realese an IS350 AWD. If you want a
3.5 AWD you should be looking at the Lexus GS
Old 12-27-08, 11:24 PM
crazybuggy
Racer

i too wish there was an is350 awd. that awd title needs to be changed. audi has quatro and mercedes has 4matic, by far the best name for awd imo. infiniti has the rwd but the turns into awd when needed. thass wassop!
Old 12-28-08, 02:24 AM
brtnrdr1x
Pole Position

i have the is250 Manual trans...was looking into the 350 but it only came in AUTO which is BULL$HIYYT haha..plus i was always an AWD car fan..but the RWD and snow tires is actually PROVEN better than AWD w/ all seasons (weird right)..as long as u know how to drive RWD haha. but lookin back, shoulda got the auto 350, jus to be able to screw around with G's n 335's..but i keep to rsx's and honda's for now..back to the subject..get the more HORSE POWER..the 250 sux, but i'll deal for now..get AWD and FAST..audi a4, the g35/37x or whatever it is now (only problems if u push it too hard), HIGHLY recommend the bmw 335xi..same size as IS..n has a 6-cylinder 3.0 twinturbo engine & intelligent ALL WHEEL DRIVE lol ..that was my first choice..but lexus is doable for now money wise..u will regret less powerr!! always will say damn i wish i could keep up!! but if u got sum *****..n like the lexus..IS350 n get snow tires!! and remember its not an SUV, so u can't dodge 1 fot of snow like i did HAHAHAHA..used to be in an 05 cherokee limited (4.7 8cylinder). AWD, SUV, 8 CYLINDER ..to RWD, CAR, 6 CYLINDER haha
Old 12-28-08, 03:34 AM
Emarati_K
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SeOuLiS250
you have no idea how much I baby my CAR
is it my fault that my NAV just turned off by itself?
(I got this replaced 4 TIMES)
is it my fault that my driver side seat belt got locked for no reason
(this happens 3 TIMES) and when I call Infiniti, they had guts to ask me to
drive my car to the dealer when i told them that my seat belt wasn't working
and everyone knows that some Gs have oil linking problem

but yes...it really depends on how you take care your car
Take it easy bro I don't mean you are screwing your car lol. I heard Infiniti sometime mess up.. like my bro had a problem with sensors twice and he had problem with gas feeling door not opening and seat built is locking... but this is after a long use...

It will happen sooner or later even if the car is new.

When I bought my IS I had problem with oil liking from the engine after 2 months of use... and I had problem with my Navigational system after a year of a use and replaced it once and I had problem with the lamp inside my car after 1 year and 9 months of use...

Even though I treat my car just like a woman I love so much who do me many things I love

still I would call both cars, Infiniti and Lexus perfect cars can't find any better..

Last edited by Emarati_K; 12-28-08 at 03:38 AM.
Old 12-28-08, 10:12 AM
Scythe
Lead Lap

lexus kinda messed this one up, they put AWD only on the 2.5 liter, and Manual only on the 2.5 liter... should have put the manual on the 3.5 liter, as well as the AWD options.. i havent heard any news about it though
Old 12-28-08, 12:28 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Scythe
lexus kinda messed this one up, they put AWD only on the 2.5 liter, and Manual only on the 2.5 liter... should have put the manual on the 3.5 liter, as well as the AWD options.. i havent heard any news about it though
Really, they didn't.

The 350 is for performance drivers.

The automatic offers better performance than a manual. Better mileage too. This isn't 1953 anymore.

RWD offers better performance than a heavy AWD system.

The IS-F is even more for performance, and you'll notice no AWD or manual there either.

The best performing porsches don't even have a clutch pedal anymore... and AWD is never a good idea for performance unless you're racing on muddy or uneven traction surfaces frequently or your car makes so much power it overwhelms a 2WD system, and no Lexus is anywhere close to that kinda power.

I admit, BMW and Infiniti both offer these options in their performance cars since apparently their customers don't know enough about actual performance to realize they're hurting themselves with either option. Lexus assumes its buyers are better informed :P
Old 12-28-08, 12:31 PM
Shoganai
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

keep us inform if you find out anything... it would be nice to have the option on the IS350... i would of jumped on it
Old 12-31-08, 06:49 PM
Jeff NYC
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Kurtz
Honestly, almost nobody "needs" AWD- for most folks it's a crutch for people who refuse to learn to drive RWD cars properly and refuse to buy snow tires in the winter. Amazingly everyone drove just fine for most of last century, even in the north, with RWD cars and snow tires.

Don't really agree with this thought. I live in Westchester County, NY (about 35 miles N of NYC) and my office is about 65 miles N of my home. I take the Taconic Pkwy back and forth and if you know anything about that road, AWD in the winter is well beyond necessary. Not sure how much snow and ice you get in North Carolina, but in NY we get plenty.

As for the GS350 awd, I agree it is a good fit, but again my drive is long and I want something smaller, lighter and also closer to 25 mpg versus 20.
Old 01-02-09, 07:57 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Jeff NYC
Don't really agree with this thought. I live in Westchester County, NY (about 35 miles N of NYC) and my office is about 65 miles N of my home. I take the Taconic Pkwy back and forth and if you know anything about that road, AWD in the winter is well beyond necessary. Not sure how much snow and ice you get in North Carolina, but in NY we get plenty.

As for the GS350 awd, I agree it is a good fit, but again my drive is long and I want something smaller, lighter and also closer to 25 mpg versus 20.
Actually, I grew up in NY. Learned to drive there.

And I've lived in Canada too. Where I drove a 1973 Monte Carlo. Chevy 350 engine, RWD.

AWD is a crutch for people who don't know how to drive a RWD car properly. (or refuse to buy proper snow tires, or both)

People got along fine driving RWD cars for most of the last century, in places with way more snow and ice than Westchester.

Certainly AWD'll be a little more forgiving on bad roads, and if I lived someplace the roads were snowy/ice the majority of the year I'd probably have a 4WD or AWD vehicle... but in that case I wouldn't really care I didn't have 300 hp since I'd rarely get to use the power either.

Someplace (like Westchester, or even lower Ontario where I lived for a while, or Buffalo where I worked for a while) where the roads are clear most of the year, and just bad in winter, I'll take RWD and more power over a heavy power-draining AWD system all the time and just drive carefully in winter.
Old 01-02-09, 09:26 AM
venZon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A option when I was looking around was a subaru legacy spec B. But I used to own a impreza.
Old 01-02-09, 09:36 AM
berliner
Rookie

Originally Posted by Jeff NYC
Happy Holidays...

Have less than 10 months on my M35x and wife's SUV and starting to think about new vehicles. Was planning on the new TL - SHawd and MDX, but TL exterior design and size of vehicle are real turn-offs.

Test drove and spent some time with the IS awd and was impressed. I want to go smaller, lighter and more nimble than my M and really liked the IS. Love the exterior and high quality appearance interior. Issue is I must have AWD and am somewhat bummed at the 2.5 liter 204hp engine when the TL awd is over 300hp, the new Audi A4 is much closer to 300hp and the Infiniti G37 is well over 300hp. I consider all of these vehicles direct competition to the IS awd.

Is there any chatter about Lexus bumping up the size of the engine or even better, adding awd to the 350??? I have looked online, but cannot find anything about it. It would certainly appear on "paper" to be sorely lacking in power and Lexus has to recognize this.

Any help would be appreciated.
ahmm..did you say "wifes suv"? if you want a suv that feels like a normal sports sedan then do check out the new FX. I went from an IS300 to a GS460, but finally ended up buying the 09 FX50s....and all I can say is

Quick Reply: Advance Info on 2010 IS???