IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Been Wanting to do a Couple Mods

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-08, 10:45 AM
Bynumite
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Been Wanting to do a Couple Mods

So, I finally got some money and I'm interested in buying a couple things but i have a lot of questions for you guys who are much more knowledgeable

so.. I want to get a trunk spoiler. I found this on Ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Paint...Q5fAccessories

is this legit?? is this "Carson" spoiler different than the OEM one??

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Next, which halos are the best to get? CCFL or AAC? When installing the halos, I want to turn off the DRL's as well and take out the orange reflector. Can this be done? Also, I'm thinking about blacking out the housing but I'm not sure if it will match my car. (Black Sapphire)

Any help or suggestions? Thanks
Old 12-24-08, 11:53 AM
AM1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

DRL's can be turned off by the dealer using an OBD II reader, though your dealer may not agree to do this even if you pay them. im sure you can remove the reflector and add angel eyes, though in my experience in past cars and people i know cracking open the headlight housing is usually not a good idea, since that usually leads to condensation or moisture buildup.
Old 12-24-08, 01:48 PM
ELL Y
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1) For the ebay spoiler, I have no personal experience. Try a forum search or wait for more replies. And if you do decide to get it and install it, let the rest of us know for future reference and other people in your shoes!

2) For your information CCFL just stands for Cold Cathode Flourescent Lamp (or lighting or something). AAC is a company that produces these in prefit configurations. Other companies also produce CCFL halos (angel eyes, demon eyes, etc.) in prefitted configurations, such as competitors on ebay.

Can't comment on their fit, but CCFLs are notoriously difficult to wield, and many people break the fragile tubes and have to end up asking for replacements. Installation is probably not for DIY noobs.
As to the headlight housing condensation comment, oftentimes people poorly reseal headlights - Holes in glue, resealing in a very moist environment, bad seal period, etc.
I've heard that our headlights are particularly hard to take apart, but I cannot comment on that yet until I do my retrofit in a few months hopefully.

As to whether black housing matches, that's really up to your opinion isn't it?
Old 12-24-08, 02:44 PM
Evil Teo
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

the trunk spoiler u can find cheaper then that and the quality is good. also the one in the link is basically the same thing as the other ones on ebay. as for the halos they look nice. it will take 5+ hours. batmobile took 8 hours long to complete the process.