IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

So how bad is salt for the paint exactly?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-08, 02:45 PM
06-IS250
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So how bad is salt for the paint exactly?

Hey guys,

So here is my story. Its been snowing and salty for the past 2 weeks here. Couple days ago, i washed my car, then that very same day, it snowed, so i had to leave my car on the side of a main street, for 2 days, and then i could drive it home (i dont have AWD). So when i brought it home, parked in the garage and when the snow finally melted off the car, i had a funny picture to look at. the right side of my car is SHINY and brand new looking, the left side is covered in snow and mud and all sorts of debris. ( the cars driving past my car on the main road just splattered my car with salt)

So now, im in the garage, and im snowed in. I cant get my car to a car wash. SOoooooooooo, the magical question: how bad is salt for my paint? Should i be worried, or a couple days of saltiness not gonna be that bad?

p.s. Did i mention i haaaaaaaaaaaaaaate snow?

thanks for the input
Old 12-21-08, 02:49 PM
farquad
Lexus Test Driver

a couple days won't be too bad.. in general though, salt is horrible.. reason why canadian cars are so rusted compared to cars from cali and the like
Old 12-21-08, 03:20 PM
VIS250P
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dont think it will get damage on the paint but underneat the car, all the metals get rusted like bolts, LCA, shocks, springs and etc..
Old 12-21-08, 04:35 PM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

just rinse your car with water....
Old 12-21-08, 10:39 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

salt is bad because with the moisture it will oxidize and rust the metal
Old 12-22-08, 06:42 AM
CapitalisT
Driver

Im pretty sure i should just move out west like now, just got over two feet of snow and my IS looks a snowmobile lol although it performs quite well.

08 IS250AWD Matador Red
Old 12-22-08, 09:24 AM
Zinda
Lexus Test Driver

I wish they made a fast AWD IS350!

I know I know I just said something that shouldn't be used in the same sentence. I almost died 5 times because of this damned NJ snow. It doesn't help that I have summertires on and this is my first RWD car.
Old 12-22-08, 10:11 AM
SwooshICE
Rookie

Originally Posted by kickin8
just rinse your car with water....
not when its -30C outside -_-
Old 12-22-08, 10:22 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by SwooshICE
not when its -30C outside -_-
I used to wash mine in the freezing winter when I lived in Oklahoma. A couple days okay but if that gunk sits there more many weeks, there could be problems.
Old 12-22-08, 02:47 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Zinda
I wish they made a fast AWD IS350!

I know I know I just said something that shouldn't be used in the same sentence. I almost died 5 times because of this damned NJ snow. It doesn't help that I have summertires on and this is my first RWD car.
you need to get snow tires pronto
Old 12-23-08, 02:59 PM
irfan
Rookie

its not a big deal as long as you dont have huge scratches in your paint that exposes the metal. ive never had a problem with a rusting car in ohio. its not like you are going to come home and find holes all over your car.

heck, if you have gouges in your paint it will rust with or without the salt. the moisture in the air and from rain will be enough for that.

next time its warm, wash your car. dont sweat it.
Old 12-23-08, 08:07 PM
Stokdgs
Driver

Agree with just leaving it alone, unless you can perhaps get to a carwash like they have at Chevron Stations here in Washington, and that will wash off hopefully most of it.
Just remember to sometime after they are done salting and snow, etc., is gone, get to a carwash or use a hose with a nozzle on it and try to spray under the car as best you can, especially the wheelwells, between all the cracks where the doors meet the body, etc..
I rinse these things out every time I wash the car anyway just to try to keep as much road crap off the car.
Salt will in time kill the metal, get into the door panels, fenderwells, and start eating the car from the inside out. This is the most neglected cases though, so dont worry, just really try to keep it rinsed off underneath as much as possible.
Good luck! Merry Christmas ! DanF
Old 12-23-08, 09:32 PM
ELL Y
Lexus Test Driver

Many carwashes add swirls due to their often harsh techniques.

and to people who talk about rinsing the car, it is often unfeasible as hoses freeze over and the only option is to grab many buckets of water to slowly rinse it off.
Old 12-24-08, 11:12 AM
maxnix
Driver

On properly sealed paint, no worries. On ferrous metal, very bad!
Old 12-24-08, 11:26 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

Standard corrosion tests for metal are salt/water spray while measuring time to corrode. Paint is intended to slow this process dramatically, and it does, but there's no such thing as a perfectly painted car from the manufacturer. You'll see corrosion on the welds holding your suspension together first because the manufacturers all seem to have issues with properly cleaning welds before painting them. My brand new (1 week) IS-F is already showing this and I live in Atlanta where there is no road salt.

If you can clear water rinse, that helps. If you can't, this discussion is academic because there's really nothing you can do anyway.

Quick Reply: So how bad is salt for the paint exactly?