IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Squeaky, Creaky, Rattles in the IS Dash

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-08, 07:00 PM
is350drive
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by VikH
No one is saying that the IS350 is crap. They just don't make them like they used to. Like I said before, your car is still new. My car had 0 rattles until about 8000-10000 miles. You will get them.
You will get them?? are you totally positive, because i have 18,000 miles on my 06 IS350 and not a single rattle.
Old 12-04-08, 08:27 PM
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by is350drive
You will get them?? are you totally positive, because i have 18,000 miles on my 06 IS350 and not a single rattle.
All cars are slightly different, but people have different habits as well. If you ride with music on and/or windows rolled down on a regular basis, you're much less likely to notice creaks/squeaks/rattles than someone driving in silence with the windows rolled up.

People also have different expectations. I expect my Lexus to be vault quiet like the old ES300 I rode in before I bought it, and was disappointed when I found that it rattles from at least three places. I'm even more disappointed that my seat has started to squeak now. This is the "noisiest" car I've had in terms of rattles since a 1991 Pontiac LeMans that was made by Daewoo. That should put things into perspective.
Old 12-04-08, 08:40 PM
VikH
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by is350drive
Since you live in such a warm climate, this thread does not apply to you.

Originally Posted by 15951
All cars are slightly different, but people have different habits as well. If you ride with music on and/or windows rolled down on a regular basis, you're much less likely to notice creaks/squeaks/rattles than someone driving in silence with the windows rolled up.

People also have different expectations. I expect my Lexus to be vault quiet like the old ES300 I rode in before I bought it, and was disappointed when I found that it rattles from at least three places. I'm even more disappointed that my seat has started to squeak now. This is the "noisiest" car I've had in terms of rattles since a 1991 Pontiac LeMans that was made by Daewoo. That should put things into perspective.
Yep
Old 12-04-08, 08:46 PM
Akatsuki
Lead Lap

I have it too and on bumpy roads its driving me crazyyyyyyyyyy
Old 12-04-08, 10:48 PM
tcho82
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm on my second IS350 and both have/had the exact same squaks and rattles. I've fixed most of them through TSB's and knowledge from the first one. This car just has issues with rattles. It may have changed with the 08+ models.

Many people also have different levels of sensitivity when it comes to rattles, ticks, and squeaks. Also the car being as quiet as it is, tends to amplify squeaks and rattles. When it comes to squeaks, my 92 LS was quieter. Overall build quality is great, but there are issues with rattles in this car.

All cars will eventually develop some rattles at some point. Its just the nature of the product. When brand new, all panels fit tight and snug. Over time the panels flex, or the wear from driving loosens fitment.

Try to tackle the ones you can and learn to just live with the rest.
Old 12-06-08, 07:08 AM
albertkey
Driver School Candidate

Now that it is getting cold I started having an annoying rattle by the center console where it meets with the door of the ashtray storage area- sounds like it is INSIDE since that area is pretty tight, also have a rattle below the start button.. Kinda annoying for a 42K car but it will happen- 19K on the odo.

However- I found a possible easy fix for the dash rattle; i started using the defrost/foot well vent function and keeping the temp around 80 degrees. Seems to cure my dash rattle in the early AM.

These rattles suck, but the car runs like a beast and all than makes up for it!

Im sure a 400K phantom will develop similiar annoyances- just have to live with it and be less **** like I was before. No point in stressing about it.

Cheers and happy holidays!
Old 12-06-08, 11:19 AM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 99% fixed

OK, so I took the car to my local service shop where they change my oil... Talked to the guys there and they took a look at it... Immediately they found 2 spots that were the sources of the rattles...

1) The overall entire dash is loose, so they suggested the rubber tubing in between the dash and windshield. (They would tap/shake the dash and it rattled in the center pretty loud)

2) The big rattle, on the driver side dash, is the entire instrument cluster area moving up and down slightly, so they suggested foam inside there somewhere... (They took a small rubber mallet and tapped right on the dash on top of the instrument cluster and it made the loud rattle that I hate)

So, we fixed it in about 10 minutes... They got this HUGE block of foam, it was like a 1 foot cube of foam (think borg ship, lol, I'm serious)... They cut out like a 1" thick rectangle piece that was like 3 inches long and wedged it right in the middle of the dash between the windshield and the dash... We tapped/shaked the dash and no more rattle in the center! But, rattle #2 was still there as expected...

So, for rattle #2 (Driver side instrument cluster), they took off the side panel where the driver side door closes (left side of the dash) and if we applied up or down pressure to any section of the instrument cluster, or similar area, the dash would not rattle/creak when we hit it with the rubber mallet.. So, they tore off like a 1" cube of foam and wedged it in between the metal and plastic area under the instrument cluster and then tapped the dash again, NO RATTLE!

Snapped the side cover back on and we were done... No more than 10 minutes, not a single screw to do, just one panel that snapped off in 2 seconds... The key was the THICK foam... They said "look at this small stuff" You could see THIN pieces of felt between the windshield and dash, they tore one off and laughed... You really gotta use something thick that applies good pressure (but not too much pressure)...

Anyway, on the drive home, I go over a bridge with tons of bumps and grooves that normally makes my dash rattle and creak SO LOUD, but on the drive home, I only heard (I think), one TINY little creak from the right side when I hit a huge bump... So, 99% fixed

PS - They did this 100% for free (cool f'ing guys there), and they gave me the rest of the foam too (think of a borg cube damaged in battle before it finished regenerating, lol), so if anyone has rattles, just PM me before the next area meet and I'll bring you some foam...

Last edited by Technique; 12-06-08 at 11:24 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Technique:
eric08 (02-27-18), notguilty (06-11-17)
Old 12-06-08, 12:07 PM
VikH
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Technique
OK, so I took the car to my local service shop where they change my oil... Talked to the guys there and they took a look at it... Immediately they found 2 spots that were the sources of the rattles...

1) The overall entire dash is loose, so they suggested the rubber tubing in between the dash and windshield. (They would tap/shake the dash and it rattled in the center pretty loud)

2) The big rattle, on the driver side dash, is the entire instrument cluster area moving up and down slightly, so they suggested foam inside there somewhere... (They took a small rubber mallet and tapped right on the dash on top of the instrument cluster and it made the loud rattle that I hate)

So, we fixed it in about 10 minutes... They got this HUGE block of foam, it was like a 1 foot cube of foam (think borg ship, lol, I'm serious)... They cut out like a 1" thick rectangle piece that was like 3 inches long and wedged it right in the middle of the dash between the windshield and the dash... We tapped/shaked the dash and no more rattle in the center! But, rattle #2 was still there as expected...

So, for rattle #2 (Driver side instrument cluster), they took off the side panel where the driver side door closes (left side of the dash) and if we applied up or down pressure to any section of the instrument cluster, or similar area, the dash would not rattle/creak when we hit it with the rubber mallet.. So, they tore off like a 1" cube of foam and wedged it in between the metal and plastic area under the instrument cluster and then tapped the dash again, NO RATTLE!

Snapped the side cover back on and we were done... No more than 10 minutes, not a single screw to do, just one panel that snapped off in 2 seconds... The key was the THICK foam... They said "look at this small stuff" You could see THIN pieces of felt between the windshield and dash, they tore one off and laughed... You really gotta use something thick that applies good pressure (but not too much pressure)...

Anyway, on the drive home, I go over a bridge with tons of bumps and grooves that normally makes my dash rattle and creak SO LOUD, but on the drive home, I only heard (I think), one TINY little creak from the right side when I hit a huge bump... So, 99% fixed

PS - They did this 100% for free (cool f'ing guys there), and they gave me the rest of the foam too (think of a borg cube damaged in battle before it finished regenerating, lol), so if anyone has rattles, just PM me before the next area meet and I'll bring you some foam...
Your dealer must be a POS for you to go through all that stuff.

Scenario:

Let's say the 2IS breaks down when you are driving close to the dealership. Are you so hardcore that you will have it towed to your indie shop?
Old 12-06-08, 12:42 PM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Your dealer must be a POS for you to go through all that stuff.

Scenario:

Let's say the 2IS breaks down when you are driving close to the dealership. Are you so hardcore that you will have it towed to your indie shop?

First off, "all that stuff" = 10 minutes of my time at my local indie shop and "going to the dealer" = hours of my time, probably leaving it for a few days, and they probably won't fix the problem and it will come back with more problems than I dropped it off with. So it's really the other way around: Are people who go to the dealer really convinced their local indie shops are POS?

Second of all, IMHO, all dealers are POS...

But, in answer to your question, if the car breaks down, I'll have it towed by Lexus roadside assistance to the dealer because of the warranty. But for routine maintenance, always my indie shop. For "tricky" things, like rattles, always my indie shop...
Old 12-06-08, 01:16 PM
VikH
Lexus Champion

First off, "all that stuff" = 10 minutes of my time at my local indie shop and "going to the dealer" = hours of my time, probably leaving it for a few days, and they probably won't fix the problem and it will come back with more problems than I dropped it off with. So it's really the other way around: Are people who go to the dealer really convinced their local indie shops are POS?

Second of all, IMHO, all dealers are POS...
I'm with you on dealers being POS. However, I dont have a trust worthy shop that can work on my 2IS, so I am stuck

This is what my dealer will have to fix on the next trip. Wish me luck!

-Steering wheel lock rattle
-Center speaker rattle
-Moonroof rattle
-ML sub blown
-Seat squeaks
Old 12-06-08, 01:31 PM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm with you on dealers being POS. However, I dont have a trust worthy shop that can work on my 2IS, so I am stuck

-Center speaker rattle
-Moonroof rattle
-ML sub blown
-Seat squeaks
Vic,

I had no idea your IS was rattling like that. At first last year, I thought I was going insane and then, I found the TSIB's. The dealer fixed all of those issues for me (minus sub).
Old 12-06-08, 01:36 PM
Technique
Lexus Champion

-Center speaker rattle
-Moonroof rattle
-ML sub blown
-Seat squeaks
Phew... Well, center speaker rattle is the "easiest" to fix there...

Careful with ML sub blown... I'd also tell them you have a rattle in the rear deck so when they take it apart they will put some foam/felt when they put it back together... Rear deck can rattle, especially after it's taken apart... Good luck!
Old 12-06-08, 03:44 PM
A.C Milan
Lead Lap

now I'm jealous
seriously, that side panel cover how do you remove it?
I'll probably pop it out and see what i can do
Old 12-06-08, 07:14 PM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by A.C Milan
now I'm jealous
seriously, that side panel cover how do you remove it?
I'll probably pop it out and see what i can do
Just pry it open, it pops right off!

Here's an old pic (ignore the switch hanging out):

Old 12-06-08, 08:24 PM
Dan's IS
Driver School Candidate

Hi, I am new to this forum.
I also experience some pop, snap and crackle noises from my 08 250 AWD. The noises are intermittent but noticable when they happen. I have never had a car that does that. As they are intermittent, they are not too too annoying (yet). I picked up mine in April 08 and it was doing that already, so I don;t think the temperature has anything to do with it.
Have a couple questions though .. and any feedback is highly appreciated.
Stock tires " Bridgestone Potenza RE92 225/45/17" are horrible in snow (I mean just a dusting and nothing serious).. anybody has this same issue and any recommendation for winter tires?
Audio system .. when CD's are played (original CD's .. not copies) I have to crank the volume real high. Example .. listening to the radio, the volume is set at Volume 12 for example and to play a CD, I may have to crank it up to 25 or higher setting (for the same volume result).. am I missing something?
Thank you in advance
Dan

Quick Reply: Squeaky, Creaky, Rattles in the IS Dash