IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Off the wall TPMS question

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-08, 09:30 AM
Zeus69
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Off the wall TPMS question

Do the TPMS sensors in our cars emit an RF signal indefinitely when they are not "pressurized" (i.e., just sitting on the shelf)?

In other words, if I take them out of the stock wheels to transfer them to a new aftermarket set, do I have to do it within a certain amount of time (days, weeks?) before they need to be re-programmed by Lexus?
Old 11-29-08, 09:34 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

you dont need to do anything just take them out and slap then in those wheels. the pressure in the new tires/rims will "wake" them up. Just get a 2nd set off Ebay. They are ~110 for all 4 shipped to your door brand new. then all you have to do is toggle between the winter/summer rims!
Old 11-29-08, 09:59 AM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, RF is emitted and the TPMS contains a battery that eventually will expire. The 2gen IS has a dual setting to allow tire and wheel swap outs.
Old 11-29-08, 11:48 AM
Zeus69
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Brian231
Yes, RF is emitted and the TPMS contains a battery that eventually will expire. The 2gen IS has a dual setting to allow tire and wheel swap outs.
Bit more info: I actually am running two sets of TPMS sensors right now, and I toggle between MAIN and SECOND when I switch between summer/winter setups. My winters (SECOND) are currently on the car.

I was planning on using the sensors in my stock OEM wheels (MAIN) to plug into my new aftermarket wheels, which won't go on until spring. My concern was, if I pop the sensors out of the stocks, put them on the shelf for a few months, then install them in the new rims in April will I have to get them reprogrammed by Lexus...

Sounds like you're telling me that as long as the battery is intact (8 year life span?), the sensors don't have to be "pressurized" to retain memory and should be recognized by the car in spring whether they're in a tire or in a box.
Old 11-29-08, 11:54 AM
J250
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by passnu2
you dont need to do anything just take them out and slap then in those wheels. the pressure in the new tires/rims will "wake" them up. Just get a 2nd set off Ebay. They are ~110 for all 4 shipped to your door brand new. then all you have to do is toggle between the winter/summer rims!
So the second set of TPMS that you buy from Ebay does not need to be programmed again by lexus?
Old 11-29-08, 02:22 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

Originally Posted by Muggy
So the second set of TPMS that you buy from Ebay does not need to be programmed again by lexus?
That's not what passnu2 said. He said you could move the sensors to another set of wheels without doing anything special. If you buy another set from eBay (or any other source), you'll need to have the dealer (or someone with a factory scan tool) program your car to recognize them.
Old 11-29-08, 03:43 PM
ISBU
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

once the sensors are awake (means its been installed before) its always going to send signal until the battery dies. lexus sensors should last 8 years.
Old 11-29-08, 08:55 PM
sinister2c
Racer

Received 177 Likes on 139 Posts

no the sensors have a code embedded in their eprom memory. This code is programmed to your car. As long as your car reads that sensor code it will read its air pressure value. It will not erase from your cars memory unless someone overwrites or erases it.

You will only need to reprogram if in 10-12 years the battery runs out on the sensor.
Old 11-29-08, 09:06 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Bichon
That's not what passnu2 said. He said you could move the sensors to another set of wheels without doing anything special. If you buy another set from eBay (or any other source), you'll need to have the dealer (or someone with a factory scan tool) program your car to recognize them.
this is correct my 2nd set was done in the service drive at Lexus. I was just saying its was better to have 2 sets as the OP replied back that he already has a set.

OP...You have nothing to worry about by putting them on the summer set up before you use them They will be ready when spring comes around to put them on and toggle to sync them up!

Cant wait to see your car
Old 11-29-08, 11:04 PM
Zeus69
Pole Position

Originally Posted by passnu2
OP...You have nothing to worry about by putting them on the summer set up before you use them They will be ready when spring comes around to put them on and toggle to sync them up!

Cant wait to see your car
Appreciate the enthusiasm, Mike . I'm pretty psyched about my new wheels and springs. Farmer's Almanac says we're in for a *****in' winter so add-ons won't see daylight until weather permits. Either way, my car probably won't hold a candle to some of the "Dream Machines" on this forum .
Old 11-29-08, 11:06 PM
Zeus69
Pole Position

Originally Posted by sinister2c
no the sensors have a code embedded in their eprom memory. This code is programmed to your car. As long as your car reads that sensor code it will read its air pressure value. It will not erase from your cars memory unless someone overwrites or erases it.

You will only need to reprogram if in 10-12 years the battery runs out on the sensor.
Sums it up nicely, thanks
Old 12-13-08, 11:56 AM
vietdeluxx
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So just to clarify...

I can take the sensors from the factory wheels and place them on new wheels without having to go to the dealership to reprogram the codes correct?

Or...

I can buy a 2nd set of sensors and put them on my wheels but I will have to have it programmed at the dealership correct?

The flashing light is a buzz kill while I am driving!

Thanks for your help in advance
Old 12-13-08, 12:27 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

Yes on both counts.
Old 12-13-08, 09:57 PM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by vietdeluxx
I can take the sensors from the factory wheels and place them on new wheels without having to go to the dealership to reprogram the codes correct?
yes. i took the TPMS sensors from the OEM 18's and put them into my "new" rims. no re-programming necessary.