IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Selling my 250... what to do with mods?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-08, 07:39 PM
Scythe
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Selling my 250... what to do with mods?

okay well, i've got something of a situation going on which i'll try to explain as briefly as possible, and then i'm looking for suggestions on the best route to take in what i'm going to do.

okay - When i bought the car, the dealership we bought it from had it on a deal that is as follows. and pretty simple: Pay half the price of the car (17000), and get it for 3 years. After 3 years, i can give them the car back, or pay the other 17k.

Well, that 3 year mark is rolling around, and i'm quite concered with what i'm going to do. First off, the car is in great condition, and has 31,000 miles, im estimating that i can get 20,000 for it (on ebay similar cars are going for 25k so..). This is already 3,000 above what i'd get by just giving it back to the dealer.

So, i'm going to start trying to sell the car, but am concerned about what to do with the mods. My stock rims and grill are all the way back in New York, and the car, and myself, are down here in Florida. Either driving the car up and then putting on the wheels and grille, or sihpping the parts down here to try to return the car to stock will cost me alot of money, but how well will the car sell with the mods i have on it? I'm not too sure that much of the market lookin for a used IS is going to want a modded one...

Also, i ordered a few weeks ago a suspension kit (Roadmagnet IS250AWD kit), and it came in a while ago. I've been having trouble finding installers and such, and now i'm debating even installing it or not. I figure i could try returning the kit, or selling it off as new, and not having to deal with installing it, and then selling the car wit a new suspensions

but now... anyone whos going to be buying my car is going to be a modder (or just a poser, in which case i wont even want to sell him the car >_<), and will notice that the car badly needs a drop, and i'll lose some credibility as a trustworthy seller/modder (which.. i'm not really). so would it be better off for me to install the kit and try to add that into the sale cost?? or keep the stock suspension to be able to tell buyers that the suspension and internals are all stock and warranty covered??

i regret having to sell this car, but i feel having the saved money and driving an older GS300 (still baller status) until later years is the most practical thing i can do. I'm at college and really dont need to be driving this car around. everytime i park i just want to cry because i know the car on my right and left (which are parked crookedly, both are dirty, have damage all over the car) are owned by careless people, and my car will leave that spot with a door ding. Its going to be sitting in the florida sun in a parking lot for 3 more years until i graduate, and then when i do it'll be dinged up and devalued due to age. I was extremely lucky to have this car, but i think i'm making a very good decision giving it up, i just want to make sure i do it correctly and have the car in the best and most appealing shape it can be for the sale
Old 11-28-08, 08:22 PM
acefalcon2
Lexus Champion

what do u have.. might be interested here haha
Old 11-28-08, 08:34 PM
Scythe
Lead Lap

in terms of mods?? all i have on it is the Carson Tuned mesh grille, redouts, oem spoiler, and its running on Motegi DV5 Chrome rims, 18x8.5, +40mm all around... and could be dropped on Roadmag AWD springs but idk if its worth it. only problem is, if i sold any of these parts separate from the car i'd probably be losing more money shipping down the stock parts so i can put them back on, and in the price depreciation of the parts themselves (cant sell them at the retail price since theyre a year plus old/used)
Old 11-28-08, 08:38 PM
acefalcon2
Lexus Champion

i might be interested in the mesh grille though.. wanna sell it?? any pics?
Old 11-28-08, 08:41 PM
Scythe
Lead Lap

i dont have any pics of it off the car, but here are some w/ it on

Old 11-28-08, 09:00 PM
acefalcon2
Lexus Champion

that's the orginal carson lex one right?? which is discontinued now.. was just wondering whether u'll sell it?
Old 11-28-08, 09:08 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

^ paint the whole OEM grille black as it will look better with your car
Old 11-28-08, 10:01 PM
ChrISF
Lexus Champion

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

-put on your stock wheels
-leave the suspension
-sell off every mod you need to
-sell car as stock

This will keep the most value for your car because it is back under warranty. Plus, you might even find a buyer who is an older gentleman who could care less about modding the car. So, bring it back to stock and sell off all the mods.
Old 11-29-08, 03:03 AM
nabbun
Lexus Champion

dude, i'd be so willing to get that carson grille!
Old 11-29-08, 09:18 AM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The grill is sharp!!!
Old 11-29-08, 09:28 AM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

99% of the potential buyers of a 250 won't give a damn about any mods, they want a car as close to stock as possible. Just put as much of the stock pieces back on, and sell the other stuff separately.
Old 11-29-08, 07:46 PM
Scythe
Lead Lap

^^ yah its the Carson grille, i love how it looks and fitment was great.. i'm gonna debate this with myself for a few more days and decide.. if i do choose to sell it i'll post about it.

thanks everyone for the input.. and of course, anymore is welcome
Old 11-29-08, 08:34 PM
kevenhang
Pole Position

how much for the roadmagnets??
Old 11-30-08, 09:48 PM
acefalcon2
Lexus Champion

how much for the grille?? i am also wondering where u got it from.. n how much?
Old 12-01-08, 04:38 AM
bh.is300
Driver School Candidate

Default carson grill

yea how much is the carson grill?
is it CF?

& how muccch....???

Quick Reply: Selling my 250... what to do with mods?