IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Rear fog lights?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-08, 09:14 PM
iKenn
Just call me "Sprinkes"

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Rear fog lights?

what country gets the rear fog lights? Anyone have a picture with them on? I found this one on flickr.

Any info on these? I always wondered what that area of the rear was for. It looked like it was for something.

Here is the link to the guys flickr. He says its the rear fog lights.
Old 11-05-08, 09:18 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

those are common on German cars so must be overseas. Wonder if they have to have them?? They can be pretty annoying for others as many forget they have them on when driving. I had them on 2 different cars and they where both German. I think Sabb also does this as a standard option for the cars in the states.
Old 11-05-08, 09:21 PM
is350drive
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

bmw has them! yeah, probably german cars!
Old 11-05-08, 09:27 PM
albert_23
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah. i notice that the Audi A4 has both the front and rear fog light.
Old 11-06-08, 01:25 AM
SeOuLiS250
Lexus Champion

oh~that kinda looks cool in the dark
Old 11-06-08, 01:49 AM
tC_demon
Pole Position

So that's what that section in the tail light is. Interesting.
Old 11-06-08, 02:45 AM
VF84
Pole Position

volvo also includes them. but generally, u.s. versions only get one side fog lights.
Old 11-06-08, 03:19 AM
i2IS
Pole Position

Heres another picture

They should have put it in USDM ISx50s, especially in foggy/rainy areas
Old 11-06-08, 03:40 AM
nabbun
Lexus Champion

*&%^

I want that NOW!

all the Audi's in my area must be a holes cuz they turn on their rear fogs and blind the ish out of everyone.

so I do it too in my Q7 LOL

and no, you can't just have them on and not know it.

you have to turn the headlight switch to the always on position, then pull the switch until you hear two clicks (first click is just front fog light) and if you turn off the ignition, the car goes BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP

Until u turn the light switch to Auto or OFF.

so it's deliberate.
Old 11-06-08, 05:45 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by SeOuLiS250
oh~that kinda looks cool in the dark
Until you are driving behind someone on a dark road, with no fog, at night. I hate those *****ing things!
Old 11-06-08, 06:16 AM
Eldr1dgE
Driver

That's cool that the IS lights up both sides for the rear...my buddy has a c350 and it only lights up on one side...it looks awkward...like a light burnt out or something...also with his front fog lights, if he turns right, the right fog light comes on automatically for a brief second and the same if he turns left...i guess thats supposed to work like our adaptive headlights...mercedes comes up with wierd stuff sometimes...
Old 11-06-08, 07:38 AM
l3lkis250
Driver

That is pretty cool it lights up on both sides. I have the rear fog on my TSX, but it's only one side that lights up.
Old 11-06-08, 09:47 AM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 251 Likes on 198 Posts

There have been past threads about the rear fog lights on the 2nd gen IS --here is a good one from 2006: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ear+fog+lights

I've activated the existing integrated rear fog lights on several cars (Mercedes) and added rear log light units to others (Honda). Rear fog lights are not toys but they do add a sense of security if you drive like we used to do in heavy fog and blizzards.

If you live in an area where low visibility is a problem, it looks pretty straightforward to install a bulb socket for a rear fog light on the driver's side of the 2nd gen IS and run a wire for it forward to a separate switch you would mount under the dash. The last time I added a separate rear fog light unit to a car (1985 Honda CRX Si - my "ski car"), I used a lighted "push-pull" rear fog light switch from Hella and mounted it in a hole I drilled in a trim panel under the dash - like this one: http://www.rallylights.com/detail.aspx?ID=377
Old 11-06-08, 11:42 AM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by nabbun
*&%^

I want that NOW!

all the Audi's in my area must be a holes cuz they turn on their rear fogs and blind the ish out of everyone.

so I do it too in my Q7 LOL

and no, you can't just have them on and not know it.

you have to turn the headlight switch to the always on position, then pull the switch until you hear two clicks (first click is just front fog light) and if you turn off the ignition, the car goes BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP

Until u turn the light switch to Auto or OFF.

so it's deliberate.
On all Mercedes & Porsche you turn rear fog on as you stated but there are no warning buzzers to let you know if you unintentionally turn on the rear fog so it is very easy to do. Most people don't know the rear fog exists.

It is normally on the left rear side only so drivers approaching from the rear know to go around to the left of the fog light
Old 11-06-08, 12:46 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 251 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by Byprodrive
On all Mercedes & Porsche you turn rear fog on as you stated but there are no warning buzzers to let you know if you unintentionally turn on the rear fog so it is very easy to do.
On Mercedes cars, there is a bright amber bulb in the middle of the combination light switch that lights up only when the rear fog lights are on (light switch pulled out to the second position). I'll ask my next door neighbor about his Porsche.

On European spec Lexus LS cars, a indicator light just below the speedometer lights up when the rear fog light is on. I don't know about other Lexus models.

Quick Reply: Rear fog lights?