IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Rear fog lights?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-08, 08:08 PM
eric_r_ho
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not only do some customers not know they have the rear foglight on, some have even been warned by cops to get the "tail light bulb" fixed 'cause some of the rear fogs are just on one side..strange design if you ask me..
Old 11-06-08, 08:18 PM
nitsua
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i was driving home from school tonight....the saab in front of me had it....i found it really distracting...but he turned it off a couple of blocks later
Old 11-07-08, 03:22 AM
nabbun
Lexus Champion

i can't say for any other make besides my audi q7.

but mines has 2 little rear fog lights that are bright and quite annoying to others.

and if i turn off the ignition with the light switch on any other position besides Auto or Off, i get the really really REALLY annoying BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP until I make the switch.

that's all my Audi ever does. BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP.

That's one of the reasons I can't wait to friggin return the damn thing after the lease is up!

Oh and Audi dealerships are bigger thieves than lexus/toyota
Old 11-07-08, 04:52 PM
A/C
Driver

As it was mentioned right, euro versions of the car come with rear fogs. But its a pretty useless tool especially when you have LED taillights which are already visible quite well from a distance even in bad weather. Rear fogs do a nice job distracting and blinding peope driving behind you, so you are lucky you don't have them

Last edited by A/C; 11-07-08 at 04:58 PM.
Old 11-07-08, 05:49 PM
emoshun
Lexus Champion

Your driving on the Autobahn, its really foggy out...

Would you want someone coming up behind you going twice your speed to be able to see you?

It's not a bad design, it's an intelligent safety precaution, thank you German engineering!

Question answered.
Old 11-07-08, 06:08 PM
iKenn
Just call me "Sprinkes"

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

^^ i just wanted to know more about it on our cars since theres no pictures of it or videos other then the one i posted.
Old 11-07-08, 06:20 PM
crazybuggy
Racer

wow never heard of these before
Old 11-09-08, 02:32 AM
GILMOREJ
Driver School Candidate

You're right its for driving in low visible weather (heavy rain or fog). It's not only German cars but all European cars are required to have, all vehicles receive annual inspection. Also headlamp washer for HID headlamps are required! It's apart of the conversion for those who import US cars to Europe...
Old 11-09-08, 02:49 AM
emoshun
Lexus Champion

^ Also, all european cars/trucks/vans equipped with HID must have auto-leveling!
Old 03-19-11, 01:35 PM
jbprag
Driver School Candidate

Some of you guys sound like 15 year olds. Rear fog lamps are a great safety feature especially for areas where fog or low visibility occurs. My Audi has one - every car produced for the European market is required by law to have them. Same for yellow rear blinkers, first aid kits, folding side mirrors and side signal repeaters (you've seen them on Audi's, BMWs, Mercedes). American manufacturers don't included them because they're not required by law to include them. Why voluntarily add a safety feature? I guess it's because people, like some of the people writing here, think that they're annoying etc don't understand them. Why use a rear fog lamp when you don't even use your blinkers? Maybe GM should start offering blinkers as an option; most of you don't use them anyway. Geez... American drivers!
Old 03-19-11, 03:02 PM
breplica
Pit Crew

Received 129 Likes on 59 Posts

I am in asia where we never get fog or snow (just heavy rain from time to time, being tropical)

My IS250 is equipped with the rear fogs that you mention.

The switch for the rear fogs are spring loaded on the lighting switch stalk (spring loaded kind of like the ECT Snow switch) thus will automatically turn off when you switch off the car and will not come back on when you restart it unless you manually turn them back on again. This is probably a measure to prevent you inadvertently leaving it on and annoying other road users

I've maybe only used it a couple of times. They don't really seem useful. I am currently toying with the idea of putting really bright bulbs there so i can turn them on when someone is tailgating me

Seen from the back in real life where it's not pitch dark it's just like an additional bulb on your tail lights. Doesn't look particularly brighter than the rest of the tail bulbs but i only ever saw it once and that was in a brightly lit environment

If you guys really want pics i can take em and put them up here. Bearing in mind my taillights are 09+. Let me know

Last edited by breplica; 03-19-11 at 03:06 PM.
Old 03-19-11, 05:19 PM
LSIII
Rookie

Originally Posted by breplica
I am in asia where we never get fog or snow (just heavy rain from time to time, being tropical)

My IS250 is equipped with the rear fogs that you mention.

The switch for the rear fogs are spring loaded on the lighting switch stalk (spring loaded kind of like the ECT Snow switch) thus will automatically turn off when you switch off the car and will not come back on when you restart it unless you manually turn them back on again. This is probably a measure to prevent you inadvertently leaving it on and annoying other road users

I've maybe only used it a couple of times. They don't really seem useful. I am currently toying with the idea of putting really bright bulbs there so i can turn them on when someone is tailgating me

Seen from the back in real life where it's not pitch dark it's just like an additional bulb on your tail lights. Doesn't look particularly brighter than the rest of the tail bulbs but i only ever saw it once and that was in a brightly lit environment

If you guys really want pics i can take em and put them up here. Bearing in mind my taillights are 09+. Let me know
Please post a pic, as I have always wondered how the rear fogs are setup on the 09+ tail lights. They don't appear to have an extra slot for rear fogs like the 06-08 and IS-F tails.
Old 03-19-11, 05:28 PM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Received 580 Likes on 390 Posts

Jeff
Old 03-19-11, 06:13 PM
CleverName
Pole Position

I Love the Rear fogs my Audi had. When used correctly they really enhanced how visible you were in heavy fog.
But I understand the pain of driving behind them on clear nights. Sadly the trend for teens today is to drive all the time with fogs on, making it very dangerous and annoying for those that are forced to share the roads with them. So much for a great safety feature when put in the hands of a teenage driver. (I will certainly vote for any law that make their use in clear weather illegal.)
I like the Lexus idea, where you can run the rears independently, Audi used a single switch for both front and rear. Of note, many Audi's only ran a rear fog on one side, mine had it on both.

Vince
Old 03-19-11, 07:28 PM
MyIS350G
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my buddy IS got them on awhile back. I was gonna do it to my car too but havent had time. We tried a few different bulbs to make it match with the taillight instead of like the rear fog lights.
[IMG][/IMG]
this is his car (white) and mine:
Name:  photo2.jpg
Views: 518
Size:  40.1 KB

Quick Reply: Rear fog lights?