IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

60K Service

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-08, 02:53 PM
mikeho
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 60K Service

I'm sure I'm not the only one to hit 60K... has anyone else got their car serviced for the 60K? It's supposed to be one of the major services and I was floored at the price: $1073?!

I'm getting mine done at Magnussen's Lexus of Fremont, CA. No way am I going to take it to a third-party because I really am scared of the possibility that something will go wrong. Has anyone got it cheaper? I love Magnussen's because of the level of service they give there. Much better than Stevens Creek.

Thank goodness they have a service where they'll actually drive the loaner car to you and take your car back to do the work. I didn't know this option even existed, but I was told that they've done it for years and other dealerships should be offering the same. This was the first time it was offered to me.

P.S. Ryan, you sold out! I heard you went to Coliseum Lexus? I moved to Magnussen's because of you! Coliseum is too far for me...
Old 11-04-08, 02:57 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

What exactly are they doing for your $1073?
Old 11-04-08, 03:28 PM
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Here are the actual 60k service items:

- oil/filter
- replace brake fluid
- engine air filter
- spark plugs
- a/c filter
- replace differential oil if equipped w/limited slip

Other than that, it's all useless inspections and a test drive. Let's give them the benefit of the doubt and say the above is worth $400 to you...I guess $673 for a test drive is reasonable, right?
Old 11-04-08, 03:40 PM
speed_Demo
Pole Position

why not go in the dealer and tell them that you need the spark plug, ac filter, brakes & tranmission fluid change?

that should bring it down to $700 for the 4 service?
Old 11-04-08, 04:04 PM
mikeho
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 15951
Here are the actual 60k service items:

- oil/filter
- replace brake fluid
- engine air filter
- spark plugs
- a/c filter
- replace differential oil if equipped w/limited slip

Other than that, it's all useless inspections and a test drive. Let's give them the benefit of the doubt and say the above is worth $400 to you...I guess $673 for a test drive is reasonable, right?
No, there's more than that. Here's what's from the manual:
- Replace engine oil and oil filter
- Measure bake pad thickness and rotor runout
- Measure thickness of brake rotors
- Replace brake fluid
- Replace engine air filter
- Replace spark plugs
- Re-torque axle shaft flange bolts
- Rotate tires (not necessary for me)
- Inspect nuts and bolts on chassis
- Replace air conditioner filter
- Replace differential oil
- Road-test vehicle

- Inspect the following: Axle shaft boots, ball joints and dust covers, body, brake lines and hoses, drive belts, engine coolant, exhaust pipe and mountings, fuel lines and connections, fuel tank band and fuel tank vapor vent system hoses, fuel tank cap gasket, manual transmission oil, rack and pinion assembly, rear differential oil, steering linkage and boots.

Seems substantial. Definitely not something I can do on my own service.
Old 11-04-08, 04:06 PM
tcho82
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow. That is a rip.... no offense.

You can do 3 of those things with ABSOLUTE ease.

Prices from Sewell (without the CL discount)

Oil filter - $5.41
Gasket for oild plug - $1.05
Engine Air Filter - $18
Cabin Filter - $25
Brake Fluid - $4.69/ 12 oz bottle. Not sure how much goes into the car (2? or 3?)
Why not do a trans flush while your at it - $7.78 per bottlex6?
New wiper blade inserts too? - 8.11+4.99
Spark Plugs - 6x18
Oil from walmart - $20 for dino oil or $30 for mobil 1(costco)

Your grand total for parts comes out to - $250 ish

So you are paying $823 in labor. or 870 without the trans flush(not needed at this time but never hurts)

Most of which could EASILY be done by you. Oil Change(30 minutes or $20 to pay someone for the labor only), AC filter change(5 minutes), and engine filter change(5 minutes. maybe 7)

You could then find a shop to take care of the brake flush, transmission flush, and spark plugs. Find a lexus tech that does some business on the side, or go to any reputable lube shop. It will NOT be costing you $800+ for labor.
Old 11-04-08, 04:14 PM
tcho82
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mikeho
Seems substantial.
That's usually the point of adding on all those inspections...

All they are doing is making sure nothing seems out of the ordinary. You could get any reputable shop to take a look at the condition of those connections. If there is something seriously wrong, you will feel it in the car, or if there is a fuel line problem, your car's ECU would detect it. Paying all that extra money to have a tech make sure some bolts are screwed down is up to you though....
Old 11-04-08, 04:21 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

Replace the plugs at 60k? They really say that? I've never seen a service interval for iridium plugs less than 100k miles.
Old 11-04-08, 04:27 PM
mikeho
Lead Lap

Point taken... I think the only truly difficult thing is changing the transmission fluid, as I heard that you have to take a few things apart on this car to get to the manual transmission housing.

Has anyone in their experience gone to a 3rd party shop to have service work done and their car had issues that were no longer covered under warranty? That's what I'd be worried about - something that screws up really bad and requires more money to fix. After 70K, my powertrain warranty is up, so none of that would matter at that point.
Old 11-04-08, 07:27 PM
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mikeho
No, there's more than that. Here's what's from the manual:
- Replace engine oil and oil filter
- Measure bake pad thickness and rotor runout
- Measure thickness of brake rotors
- Replace brake fluid
- Replace engine air filter
- Replace spark plugs
- Re-torque axle shaft flange bolts
- Rotate tires (not necessary for me)
- Inspect nuts and bolts on chassis
- Replace air conditioner filter
- Replace differential oil
- Road-test vehicle

- Inspect the following: Axle shaft boots, ball joints and dust covers, body, brake lines and hoses, drive belts, engine coolant, exhaust pipe and mountings, fuel lines and connections, fuel tank band and fuel tank vapor vent system hoses, fuel tank cap gasket, manual transmission oil, rack and pinion assembly, rear differential oil, steering linkage and boots.

Seems substantial. Definitely not something I can do on my own service.
The inspections are total BS, and are free with most oil changes as they want to find problems for you to pay them to repair. You're considering paying them over $1 thousand to find problems with your car.

As for the other items on the list:

- The brake pad and rotor items are "inspections" for upsells.

- Do a search on re-torquing axle shaft flange bolts. I've researched that, and have yet to find a Lexus tech that's ever retorqued one. They're torqued to 200 ft/lbs + from the factory. I think this item is added every 5k to keep people coming to the dealer, because if you ask your neighborhood mechanic to do it, they'll look at you like you have two heads.

- You accurately point out that rotating tires isn't necessary for your car. Two guesses whether that means they'll give you a discount.

- Inspect nuts and bolts on chassis. This one cracks me up. Do they check the blinker fluid too?

- Road-test vehicle. Frankly, I'd rather they not drive my car unless they absolutely need to.

Everything else was on my list, which is (again) a few actual service items.

You're free to blow $1 thousand on a basic service. I'm glad people do - Lexus probably couldn't keep going if they had more cheapskates like me as customers. Keep drinking the kool aid so I can get free food when I go in for my oil changes.
Old 11-04-08, 09:32 PM
aznboi27
Pole Position

=).. that's what we get for buying a lexus! I wonder if a toyota dealership would do a 60k service on a lexus.
Old 11-05-08, 05:40 AM
nabbun
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by aznboi27
=).. that's what we get for buying a lexus! I wonder if a toyota dealership would do a 60k service on a lexus.
they'd be more than happy to.

unless you have a toyota dealership like the ones that some of the ppl have been to on this board that say they won't touch a lexus cuz it's not a toyota.

like derrrrrrrrfffffff effin wee todd

I took my car to my local toyota dealer for an impromptu 10k oil change on the morning of going down to north carolina cuz my lexus dealer wouldn't do a walk in oil change (I called in, not walked in).
Old 11-05-08, 09:29 AM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

$1073 is wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy too much.........
Old 11-20-08, 04:33 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not surprised.
Old 11-20-08, 04:56 PM
darkdream
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not surprised at all after getting an alignment >_<...

Quick Reply: 60K Service