IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Car almost got broken into! Alarm drained my battery!

Old 10-29-08, 08:38 PM
2slow
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How did the alarm go off in the first place? It doesn't make sense.
Old 10-29-08, 08:52 PM
aznboi27
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

and i thought that lexus was the pursuit of perfection.. doesn't make sense why they would put such cheap alarms in our cars.
Old 10-29-08, 08:55 PM
smokyis350
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by VikH
Our alarms are jokes. You might as well leave the doors unlocked so you don't have to pay for a new window. There is no shock sensors or internal motion sensors. Never leave anything visible that is valuable. Although, that won't stop a thief from breaking your window and looking around (since the alarm won't go off).
good info.. I agree with you. Whats the point of having alarm then if its not shock proof?

Originally Posted by 2slow
How did the alarm go off in the first place? It doesn't make sense.
I have no idea. I am wondering myself. It might just be a defect?

Originally Posted by aznboi27
and i thought that lexus was the pursuit of perfection.. doesn't make sense why they would put such cheap alarms in our cars.
+1 this is why I might plan on going aftermarket route. Can't go wrong with a 2 way alarm with remote start
Old 10-29-08, 09:07 PM
darkdream
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Eh you should just get one of those window laminates that prevent the window from breaking from ordinary blows http://www.usace.com/laminate_thwarts.html ... Alarms will not deter all thieves if you got something worthwhile to take the risk.
Old 10-29-08, 09:13 PM
2slow
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by darkdream
Eh you should just get one of those window laminates that prevent the window from breaking from ordinary blows http://www.usace.com/laminate_thwarts.html ... Alarms will not deter all thieves if you got something worthwhile to take the risk.
Tint does the same thing doesn't it?

I really doubt someone tried to break in the car. I think you pressed the panic button on accident and it kept going off. There's really no way possible of setting the alarm off, unless they got inside and opened the door, or jimmy; which is outdated.
Old 10-29-08, 09:37 PM
eric_r_ho
Lexus Test Driver

I really hate how our alarms flash the headlights..for the HID people, it's horrible for the ignitors in the ballasts. But I mean it's not just Lexus cars that do that. But that could account for why the battery drained so badly along w/ the horn ofcourse.
Old 10-29-08, 10:09 PM
cc16ue
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by VikH
Our alarms are jokes. You might as well leave the doors unlocked so you don't have to pay for a new window. There is no shock sensors or internal motion sensors. Never leave anything visible that is valuable. Although, that won't stop a thief from breaking your window and looking around (since the alarm won't go off).
what cars come with internal motion sensors??
Old 10-29-08, 10:14 PM
eric_r_ho
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by cc16ue
I've never seen one factory but I've seen aftermarket systems where it can sense if an arm is reaching into the interior of the vehicle as if the person was swiping a cell phone or something. I always thought it was pointless cause most likely the girl/guy who just stole something is already runnin' his *** off already..eH
Old 10-29-08, 11:25 PM
2slow
Lexus Champion

Bimmers do. If you lock the door through the key, and stay inside the alarm will go off if you move.At least my friend's 330ci had it.
Old 10-29-08, 11:30 PM
smokyis350
Lexus Champion

Tint does the same thing doesn't it?

I really doubt someone tried to break in the car. I think you pressed the panic button on accident and it kept going off. There's really no way possible of setting the alarm off, unless they got inside and opened the door, or jimmy; which is outdated.
Nope, tint will not stop a bullet from going through. tint = paper on your window. that thing he linked is like a big plastic piece.

I am sure I didn't press it. Because if I did, I can hear it. Since I parked isolated from other car I can also see. I looked one last time before I entered the mall doors.

Bimmers do. If you lock the door through the key, and stay inside the alarm will go off if you move.At least my friend's 330ci had it.
New BMW do not have alarms. Isn't 330ci convertible?
Old 10-29-08, 11:39 PM
2slow
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by smokyis350
Nope, tint will not stop a bullet from going through. tint = paper on your window. that thing he linked is like a big plastic piece.

I am sure I didn't press it. Because if I did, I can hear it. Since I parked isolated from other car I can also see. I looked one last time before I entered the mall doors.

New BMW do not have alarms. Isn't 330ci convertible?
How will tint stop a bullet? but withstand being shattered? That doesn't make sense at all. And that being said, you said tint is like paper, so that means paper > bulleT?

He had a 330ci, which is not a convertible which has nothing to do with this thread. I went to sleep in the car, and he locked it. I moved and it went off. First hand experience.
Old 10-29-08, 11:48 PM
Gus738
Driver

Hmm Good theory on the bullet! I know that when you have a car accident or grab a brick or a metal bat the TINT with Glass WONT break at first hand (you woul have to try) mutiple times...

so its VERY VERY strong....
Old 10-29-08, 11:56 PM
smokyis350
Lexus Champion

How will tint stop a bullet? but withstand being shattered? That doesn't make sense at all. And that being said, you said tint is like paper, so that means paper > bulleT?
What? I said tint cant stop a bullet like that plastic piece. If you saw that video that guy shot at the window with a revolver and a shot gun a few times and it didn't shatter. If you have tint on your car and use a gun and shoot it. The window shatters immediately. I saw this happen before so I know.

Last edited by smokyis350; 10-30-08 at 12:00 AM.
Old 10-30-08, 01:04 AM
2slow
Lexus Champion

lol, i read wrong. I thought you said it will stop a bullet. lol sorry.
Old 10-30-08, 04:40 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by cc16ue
My old Audi S4 did. My only complaint with it was that if you left the window cracked in hot weather, the wind would set it off.

Originally Posted by eric_r_ho
I really hate how our alarms flash the headlights..for the HID people, it's horrible for the ignitors in the ballasts. But I mean it's not just Lexus cars that do that. But that could account for why the battery drained so badly along w/ the horn ofcourse.
Are you sure it flashes the HIDs? I thought it flashed the high beams, which are regular halogen bulbs even on 2ISs with factory HID.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Car almost got broken into! Alarm drained my battery!