IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Need help with tinting %

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-08, 12:44 PM
whoisrhp
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with tinting %

Hey guys I plan to get huper optik tint at Song's Tint Master pretty soon. I was thinking of getting my tint at 35%, do you guys think thats a good tint % im looking for a good balance between tint and privacy, I was thinking 35% because I don't want to run the risk of being hassled by cops.

Also my other question is should i go 35% all around or 35% on 4 side windows and 15% on the rear to even them out in the sunlight?
which tint % is more popular and looks better on that car? and does huper optik tint go down as low as 15%?

also my other question is do people even bother tintint the sunroof for the is 350's? or is that just a waste of $.

Thanks.
Old 10-17-08, 01:32 PM
whoisrhp
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by PorSiempre
My two cents: If in fact you are looking for a good balance between tint and privacy, then I think 35% is a good way to go. I believe 35% tint is a good way to go to avoid being hassled by the cops. Something to keep in mind is that you might want to decide ahead of time if you want all of your side windows the same shade or not, because depending on what you decide, you will see two different shades as you look at your IS from the side. Also from the perspective of sitting in another car, the tint will look darker than it is because you are seeing a tinted window behind the tinted window you are looking at (most of the time).

Not so with the rear window, however. In most cases, the rear window will be seen with an untinted windshield (which lets in a lot of light) in the background. In that case it is popular for people to tint their rear window a little darker than the rest. Also because cops are usually virtually not interested in the % tint of the rear window.

Furthermore, I have heard of people tinting their sunroof, though I believe tinting the sunroof is rarely practised.

Anybody else want to make it 4? ........................................."cents" - that is.

wow thanks for the info, I really appreciate it.
Old 10-17-08, 01:47 PM
arpham
Lead Lap

35% is wayy too light IMO. I had 20% all around on my Sc400 and has stock tint on my gs300 but I'm going 5% this time.

good luck
Old 10-17-08, 01:52 PM
slee18
Lexus Test Driver

which part of cali are you in? Be careful you dont go too deep depending in part of cali you are in. My local cops pull people over for having 50% on the front driver windows.

Personally on my older car I have 50% and 5%
Old 10-17-08, 02:10 PM
whoisrhp
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by slee18
which part of cali are you in? Be careful you dont go too deep depending in part of cali you are in. My local cops pull people over for having 50% on the front driver windows.

Personally on my older car I have 50% and 5%
socal, I live in ktown but I work in south central.

also do you guys know what %'s huper optik tint is offered in ?
Old 10-17-08, 02:37 PM
T4styPh0
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Funny this thread came up. Got my first tinting ticket today in 8 months of having my car tinted 20%. This cop just had to be a butt and pulled me over out of speeders on the left lane and couple of other dark dark tinted cars. To me 35% is just too light especially when you have a light interior.
Old 10-17-08, 03:08 PM
IS-J
Lead Lap

I would go with a 20% all the way around. My g/f has 20% on her pearl white IS and its perfect for "some" privacy and great for sunlight. I have 5% all the way around, but that might be to dark...
Old 10-17-08, 03:16 PM
whoisrhp
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by AzNLeX350
Funny this thread came up. Got my first tinting ticket today in 8 months of having my car tinted 20%. This cop just had to be a butt and pulled me over out of speeders on the left lane and couple of other dark dark tinted cars. To me 35% is just too light especially when you have a light interior.
ooh you live in GA, i used to live there. GA legal tint is like 35% right? Are the cops in GA more strict than in SoCal?

Aslo just wondering.. did you get a ticket at night or during the day?

Is it true that tinting tickets happen more during night than during the day? anyone know?
Old 10-17-08, 03:22 PM
T4styPh0
Lexus Test Driver

Yup, I think it's 32% but if you put 35% on it'll go down ~3 because of the glass. Never lived in Cali but I presume Cali cops are more strict I got this ticket this morning at 7:30. The sky was cloudy so it made it seem like it was really dark but when the sun is out, I wish my car was darker lol.
Old 10-17-08, 03:40 PM
iialcii
Lexus Champion

i went with 35% all around for a clean look. u will get harrased by cops if ur front windows are tinted period. Its just that 35% isnt as noticable as 20% or 15%. good luck

I think for visual and for night driving 35% is good. also if ur interior is blk 35% will look darker.
Old 10-17-08, 04:41 PM
mcgo
Driver School Candidate

If your interior is black, your tint will look darker. My IS350 is black/black, and I got 50/20 tint. I was worried that the difference between the front and rear windows would look funny, but I think it came out really well. Since 70 is the legal limit in CA, I decided to go just a little darker. I also think that having a lighter shade in the front will at least let the cops know that you're trying to go lighter in the front... so hopefully they'll give you a break for that.
Old 10-17-08, 05:09 PM
ISMAN1000
Driver

You also want to consider your interior color. If you have a black interior, it will make your tint look darker.
Old 10-17-08, 06:17 PM
codex57
Rominl Stalker

Originally Posted by whoisrhp
also do you guys know what %'s huper optik tint is offered in ?
I'm not aware of Huper being offered in 35%. Here are the levels I've seen Huper offered at:

60%
50%
40%
30%

I don't believe there's a 35% tint level.

I've got V-Kool 70 on my front windows (too many tint tickets in the past) and Huper 30 on the rear. If you want to go the same all around, 40 is pretty nice. It's right where more lenient cops likely will let you go. 50 is safer, but it may not be dark enough to really be worth it. When I had my Lexus done, an IS owner came in and well talked and decided 40 would look best on his car.
Old 10-17-08, 06:40 PM
farquad
Lexus Test Driver

^
wow, cali's strict eh
i plan on tinting my windows soon.. 20% on my tan interior shouldn't look too dark.. plus, over here in ontario, canada there is no actual % given.. it states that the rear windows and rear windshield can have limo tint.. but the fronts have to be light enough for the cops to be able to look in.. so people usually associate that with like 35% front windows..
+1 against cali HAH! lol
Old 10-17-08, 07:03 PM
crazybuggy
Racer

i have 35% all around... on my next car, im goin to go with a 5% rear, 20% all around, and 35% or 50% on the windshield!

Quick Reply: Need help with tinting %