IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

30,000 mile maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-08, 11:08 PM
LexusIS-TL
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 30,000 mile maintenance

The price tag for that particular maintenance is over $600. Does the IS really need it aside from a simple oil change? It's such a huge expense and Im' hesitating to get it done. Coming from a Toyota, the 30,000 mile maintenance is a mere $275 service. I have roughly 700 miles before it hits 30K.
Old 10-13-08, 11:21 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Please do a Search for further discussion regarding the 30k check-up.

But to break it down:

Oil change = pay for it.
Tire/wheel rotation = NOT APPLICABLE for the IS.
Air intake filter = you can do it. Buy the $20 filter.
A/C air filter = you can do it. Buy the $30 filter.
Top off fluids = you can do it.
Visual Inspection = included and done with oil change.

So, you only have to really just ask for an oil change, if you do the rest of the work...
Old 10-14-08, 12:24 AM
albert_23
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

local dealer charging $400. I'm thinking of going to a reputable mechanic that charges 250 for 30k maintenance.
Old 10-14-08, 07:34 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 275 Likes on 243 Posts

I beg to differ with Philip on this one; the factory schedule for the 30,000 mile service also includes changing the brake fluid. That's a maintenance item I wouldn't skip -- brake fluid absorbs moisture like a sponge, lowering the boiling point of the fluid, and potentially causing corrosion of brake system components. So whether you go to the dealer, an independent mechanic, or do-it-yourself, don't forget about changing it.
Old 10-14-08, 07:51 AM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bichon
I beg to differ with Philip on this one; the factory schedule for the 30,000 mile service also includes changing the brake fluid. That's a maintenance item I wouldn't skip -- brake fluid absorbs moisture like a sponge, lowering the boiling point of the fluid, and potentially causing corrosion of brake system components. So whether you go to the dealer, an independent mechanic, or do-it-yourself, don't forget about changing it.
Since Bichon points this out, I would change the brake fluid yourself. All Lexus does is siphon the old fluid out of the master cylinder and charge $120 for 5 minutes worth of work. You can simply take a clean preferably new spray bottle that you can buy at Wal-Mart for under a buck and get the old fluid out of the master cylinder (sometimes the mesh debris screen should be removed). Make sure your hands are clean (wear plastic gloved if possible), make sure the surrounding area of the master cylinder is clean like the cap and basin, and remove old fluid and refill with a reputable Dot 3 or Dot 4. I have had great luck with the synthetic Dot 4's in the past like Prestone and it is only a $1 more.
Old 10-14-08, 11:50 AM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

and dont forget your differential fluid......
Old 10-14-08, 07:40 PM
sinister2c
Racer

Received 177 Likes on 139 Posts

I think its a little early for Diff Fluid.

Brake Fluid is not included in a 30k service. Thats one of those add on service items they try to sell you. And simply siphoning the MC fluid is not changing the fluid. A true brake fluid change involves pumping or all the fluid out of each caliper and bleeding the whole system with new fluid.
Old 10-14-08, 08:54 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 275 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by sinister2c
Brake Fluid is not included in a 30k service. Thats one of those add on service items they try to sell you.
Wrong. That's why I said factory service schedule. Pull the book out of your glovebox, or check on the "My Lexus" section of the Lexus website and see for yourself.
Old 10-24-08, 12:11 AM
albert_23
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Bichon
Wrong. That's why I said factory service schedule. Pull the book out of your glovebox, or check on the "My Lexus" section of the Lexus website and see for yourself.
+1. it's in the manual.
Old 10-24-08, 01:15 AM
hapaboy
Lexus Champion

what about tightening the axle flange? i always wonder about that one every 5K.
Old 10-26-08, 07:51 AM
Duke02
Driver

For what it's worth, I just took mine in to the dealer and they quoted 340 for the 30k service. I had them not change the engine air filter because I have a K&N intake. They took 40 off the tab for that, so you can probably do it a bit a la carte. That said, 700 seems exepensive given what my dealer is charging
Old 10-26-08, 01:50 PM
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by hapaboy
what about tightening the axle flange? i always wonder about that one every 5K.
I posted this earlier in the year on another thread related to maintenance:

I did a search on the mysterious axle shaft flange bolt, and was amused to find discussions in a couple of subforums with no definitive answers. What I did find out is that this sucker is torqued from the factory to more than 200 ft/lbs, so there's no reason to constantly retorque it. Also, I noticed that the last time I brought my car in for a simple oil change, there was a line item on the receipt for a free multi-point inspection. I was even provided with a page listing the condition of my fluids, air pressures, tire tread depth, etc. That gives me even less reason to pay them to check to see if any wheels have fallen off.

Here are the actual service items for 30k, other than a number of worthless "inspections":

1 Replace engine oil and filter;
2 Replace air conditioner filter;
3 Replace brake fluid;
4 Replace engine air filter.

You should be able to do item 2 and 4 in about 15 minutes and around $30 in parts.

Last edited by 15951; 10-26-08 at 01:53 PM.
Old 10-26-08, 02:01 PM
eric_r_ho
Lexus Test Driver

The multi-point inspection really isn't an inspection..believe me.

What that means to me and my techs is simply, TIME TO LOOK FOR UPSELLS for services that are due by time and mileage.

I tell that to customers all the time when they come in for services.
Old 10-26-08, 02:37 PM
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by eric_r_ho
The multi-point inspection really isn't an inspection..believe me.

What that means to me and my techs is simply, TIME TO LOOK FOR UPSELLS for services that are due by time and mileage.

I tell that to customers all the time when they come in for services.
This is the list of inspections that they include as part of a routine oil change:

- Measured brake pad thickness;
- Measured tire tread depths;
- Checked tires for uneven wear;
- Check suspension;
- Brake adjustment (if necessary);
- Check struts and shocks;
- Check hydraulic brake fluid;
- Check exhaust system;
- Check all drive belts;
- Check fluid levels;
- Check wiper blades and washers;
- Check exterior/interior lights;
- Check engine for leaks (oil and coolant);
- Check transmission for leaks;
- Check radiator and cooling system;
- Check door, window and horn operation;
- Check CV boots/axles.

This is the list I can pay hundreds extra for as part of the 30k service.

- Inspect nuts and bolts on chassis (seriously);
- Measure brake pad thickness and rotor runout (e.g. glance at brake pads);
- Measure thickness of brake rotors;
- Retorque axle shaft flange bolts - Rotate tires (no discount if you have staggered wheels);
- Road-test vehicle.

I think that sort of speaks for itself, don't you? And the upsell argument could hold true in either case.

If the techs are skipping most of the inspection in favor of identifying a few upsell items, then I have no desire to pay them hundreds extra to let my car sit on the lift for another hour or two. Frankly, I'm surprised you're admitting that your techs aren't really doing inspections at all, regardless of what you're telling the customer in writing!

Last edited by 15951; 10-26-08 at 02:42 PM.
Old 10-26-08, 05:30 PM
eric_r_ho
Lexus Test Driver

Don't get me wrong, of course they look at all those components but it's so they can find anything that has failed or malfunctioned so they can either get a line added for warranty or if the vehicle is out of warranty then notify the advisor what needs to be sold on the car. Especially on the older vehicles. But since this IS has only been out since late 2005, the oldest one out there is hardly 3 yrs old. The things that are due by time/mileage are very minimal.

So I mean right now there isn't much of an inspection that needs to be performed. Perhaps when the IS gets to be around 5-7 yrs old the inspections will be more and more thorough. Meaning the first 60-70thousand miles on the 2nd gen IS, you might as well do the services yourself until there are more components that are deteriorating, which in turn are in need of an inspection.

Quick Reply: 30,000 mile maintenance