IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Is everyone's GFX kit taped on with double sided tape?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-08, 12:38 AM
tracerit
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is everyone's GFX kit taped on with double sided tape?

Took a look at a Tungsten Pearl IS350 with the GFX kit (front lip and rear lip) and noticed that it was taped on. The guy taped it on himself and I was looking at the edges where they met on the kit and car, and there's a little gap big enough to see some of the tape. I wish I had a good camera, but from afar you can't see any gaps. Up close you can see them, I'm just concerned rain water might loosen the tape and the kit would fall off.

Should the GFX front and rear lip be SNUG against the car panel? Or should there be some small gaps because of the tape thickness?
Old 10-12-08, 01:06 AM
istundra
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Did the tape lift from either contact point?

For mine, front - tape and OE bolts only. rear - OEM spec install (drill & cut),

Regarding the gap, please reference to the install manual. Check sewell, they have PDF manuals available for viewing.

I had mine since summer of 07, holding up well.
Old 10-12-08, 10:34 AM
inwood
Lead Lap

The bolts on the GFX kit are held on by double sided tape. So essentially, double sided tape is what keeps the gfx kit attached to the car.
Old 10-12-08, 06:20 PM
ecr527
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by inwood
The bolts on the GFX kit are held on by double sided tape. So essentially, double sided tape is what keeps the gfx kit attached to the car.

Ummm. Not really. Those tabs on both ends are stuck on with double sided tape, but the rest of them are not. I removed these tabs from the OEM front lip as it already has six or seven screws holding it on, so that one's not going anywhere. As far as the back goes, I did drill and cut the rear bumper. I have ZERO gap. The exhaust openings on the bumper and GFX kit are different, which is probably why you saw a gap on the car with just the double sided tape install.
Old 10-12-08, 06:32 PM
inwood
Lead Lap

Thats weird, all the tabs on my rear GFX lip are held on by double sided tape.
Old 10-12-08, 06:39 PM
Ryu616
Driver School Candidate

The kit...if installed correctly(front and rear) is not held on solely by double sided tape. My rear piece has been installed by drilling a few holes along with the double sided tape to help reinforce it. Now when Lexus initially installed the kit there was a noticeable gap ...i simply took it back and had them reset it. It's near perfect now. It's all in the install.
Old 10-12-08, 06:41 PM
tracerit
Pole Position

i just took a look at the installation instructions from sewell and it looks like you had to drill some holes into the actual bumper so basically once you put the GFX front and rear lips on, there will be hole when you take them off

inwood, did you buy your IS with the GFX alrady installed?
Old 10-12-08, 06:45 PM
XprincoX
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

you can just rip the tabs off. They're just held on by doubled sided tape. So you dont HAVE to drill the holes.
Old 10-12-08, 07:23 PM
istundra
Pole Position

Originally Posted by XprincoX
you can just rip the tabs off. They're just held on by doubled sided tape. So you dont HAVE to drill the holes.
For the front, you do not have to drill holes.

For the rear, if you do not drill holes, it may not fit properly due to the exhaust opening. Also, the holes help you align the kit to the bumper.
Old 10-12-08, 07:24 PM
XprincoX
Lexus Champion

yea mine have the holes drilled for the rear and the front is just taped on and bolted from the bottom.

Lexus made it pretty idiot proof if you want to drill the holes since the spots are all premarked on the bumper cover.
Old 10-12-08, 07:54 PM
inwood
Lead Lap

My IS didnt come w/ the GFX kit, I bought it seperately. There is another member on there that installed their rear lip w/ only double sided tape. He didnt even cut his exhaust.
Old 10-12-08, 08:38 PM
istundra
Pole Position

i initially installed my rear by tape only method and it did not hold too well. Gaps were present but tolerable... but very annoying because you can see the tape stretch.

i ended up re-installing it by the OE method and it has fit well ever since. no problems at all.
Old 10-12-08, 08:51 PM
Ryu616
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by XprincoX
yea mine have the holes drilled for the rear and the front is just taped on and bolted from the bottom.

Lexus made it pretty idiot proof if you want to drill the holes since the spots are all premarked on the bumper cover.
He's got it.
Old 10-12-08, 09:12 PM
eric_r_ho
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by inwood
My IS didnt come w/ the GFX kit, I bought it seperately. There is another member on there that installed their rear lip w/ only double sided tape. He didnt even cut his exhaust.
Yeahhh I don't know about that guy. I tried that method and it definitely did not work. I had to make the exhaust cut-outs when I slapped my rear lip on..maybe he's just better at mickey-mousing things
Old 10-12-08, 11:16 PM
XprincoX
Lexus Champion

the gaps are much more noticeable on lighter colored cars... i think javy, and all will agree after our install at Tommy's... lol

Quick Reply: Is everyone's GFX kit taped on with double sided tape?