car won't start

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-08, 07:25 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,842 Likes on 2,330 Posts

Originally Posted by sgmis
...Could the battery be the culprit?...
Yes, it surely could be the problem. However, there are lots of other things it could be as well. You were smart to take it to the dealer - they have the diagnostic tools to connect and ensure it is NOT one of the computers - and there are a few in the way of getting the engine running.
Old 09-28-08, 07:45 PM
tastemydus
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb I Had Same Problem With IS-350 2006

Hello! I've been a long time lurker on this forum. I ran into a problem I was hoping somebody here would be able to shed some light on.

I drove my car today.. everything was fine. No funny noises, no weird vibrations. I parked the car for four hours or so... when I came out to the car, the car would not start. The weird part is, the car seemed to have full power. The doors unlock on their own, nav worked, headlights, dome lights were all operational. When you push the start button, the dash lights up like normal but the starter refuses to turn over. Just quiet... nothing... The screen says key detected so I know that's not the problem. It display doesn't show any errors.. It just says check completed. The engine light and the battery light did stay on but being able to run the accessories tells me that the car does, in fact, have power. I THINK those two lights stay on if you push the start button twice without actually starting the car anyway? Can somebody please confirm this? Actually, the car acted like I pushed the start button twice without applying the brakes and that's it. I also tried jumping the car with no success..

Has anyone else here experienced a similar issue? My car is currently sitting at the dealer waiting for somebody to come in to look at it on Monday.
I had that problem pretty frequently with the last lexus I Had: 2006 IS350. I usually noticed it when it was really humid inside my car. I thought that some how the moisture had something to do with it. I usually opened my doors and waited a minute or two and tried it again. It normally worked then. I took it to the dealer and they replaced a bunch of parts and after that I never had that problem again. Well I traded it in shortly after for an IS-F so I don't know if the next owner had any problems, but the few months I had it after getting the new parts I didn't notice problem arising again. BTW I tried using a brand new key and starter, because I thouhgt it was the battery in the key chain but that didn't fix the problem. I also had the car battery changed and that didn't fix the problem either. Lexus normally keeps a log of all the problems people bring their car in and the solution Lexus has found, because when I brought it in to the dealer and told them what the problem was they already new what parts needed replacing.

Last edited by tastemydus; 09-28-08 at 07:50 PM. Reason: addition
Old 09-28-08, 08:18 PM
sgmis
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by tastemydus
I had that problem pretty frequently with the last lexus I Had: 2006 IS350. I usually noticed it when it was really humid inside my car. I thought that some how the moisture had something to do with it. I usually opened my doors and waited a minute or two and tried it again. It normally worked then. I took it to the dealer and they replaced a bunch of parts and after that I never had that problem again. Well I traded it in shortly after for an IS-F so I don't know if the next owner had any problems, but the few months I had it after getting the new parts I didn't notice problem arising again. BTW I tried using a brand new key and starter, because I thouhgt it was the battery in the key chain but that didn't fix the problem. I also had the car battery changed and that didn't fix the problem either. Lexus normally keeps a log of all the problems people bring their car in and the solution Lexus has found, because when I brought it in to the dealer and told them what the problem was they already new what parts needed replacing.
Any ideas what some of the parts were? My other thought is that it might have something to do with the security system
Old 09-28-08, 08:26 PM
LexGS3
Driver

I had a similar issue just last week... I was working on my car with the engine off but the radio on, long story short the battery died. I get a jump from my brother and the car wont turn over. Press brake, green light comes up, push start and the gauges light up, radio comes on(like you didnt press the brake and hit the start button twice), but thats all. I did a quick check on this forum and found someone posted to press and hold the brake real hard for 10 seconds, hold the key right near the start button and the car started right up.
Old 09-28-08, 08:36 PM
sgmis
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LexGS3
I had a similar issue just last week... I was working on my car with the engine off but the radio on, long story short the battery died. I get a jump from my brother and the car wont turn over. Press brake, green light comes up, push start and the gauges light up, radio comes on(like you didnt press the brake and hit the start button twice), but thats all. I did a quick check on this forum and found someone posted to press and hold the brake real hard for 10 seconds, hold the key right near the start button and the car started right up.
I saw that post also. I just wish I had seen it before I left my car at the dealer. Oh well, at least this way the dealer can diagnose any potential issues with the car. I definitely wouldn't want this to be a recurring problem. I'm just glad it happened in my drive way and not in the middle of nowhere.
Old 09-29-08, 12:07 PM
sgmis
Driver School Candidate

Update for anyone who might be interested. The car is still at the dealer but they seem to have pinpointed the problem to the starter relay. They ordered the replacement part which should be here tomorrow.
Old 10-01-08, 08:08 PM
tastemydus
Driver

Post Attached Is Parts Replaced To Fix The Starter Problem I Had With Is350

Any ideas what some of the parts were? My other thought is that it might have something to do with the security system
I have attached a picture of the service form. Let me know if you can't read it.
Attached Thumbnails car won't start-new-picture.jpg  
Old 10-02-08, 09:22 AM
slee18
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by tastemydus
I have attached a picture of the service form. Let me know if you can't read it.
This invoice is for grinding noise. Doesnt look like the car wont start.
Old 10-02-08, 12:42 PM
blklexo818
Pole Position

Interesting, i'd like to see what the outcome is
Old 10-04-08, 08:35 PM
jz1219
Rookie

when that happen use your alarm arm it and disarm it and start it . or mess with the e brake and the transmission happen to my dad all the time
Old 10-27-09, 11:00 AM
CDeMonbrun
Driver School Candidate

Update for anyone who might be interested. The car is still at the dealer but they seem to have pinpointed the problem to the starter relay. They ordered the replacement part which should be here tomorrow.
Hello, hope all is going well with your car! Could you please tell me the outcome of your issue. I am having the same problem about once a week and it is driving me CRAZY!!! Thanks!!
Old 01-26-17, 07:43 PM
JPowell28
Driver School Candidate

I'm having the same issue for a week now.
I'm going nuts not having a car. I guess I'm going to the Lexus Dealership tomorrow. My battery is draining in about 5 min when driving after fully charging the battery for 6 hours and the steering wheel locks up. It's not the battery or alternator. Someone said it's got to be the electrical system. That doesn't help I know.
Old 01-27-17, 12:00 PM
Mrfix
Lead Lap

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by CDeMonbrun
Hello, hope all is going well with your car! Could you please tell me the outcome of your issue. I am having the same problem about once a week and it is driving me CRAZY!!! Thanks!!
From his post, the dealer said it is the starter relay.

http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/l...ter+relay,3804
Old 02-16-17, 04:23 PM
Skib
Driver School Candidate

My is completely dead. I tired to replaced a new battery but it still doesn't work. Then I realized the break is not detected and the start button is red not green. Do you have any idea what is going on and what should i do?
Old 09-11-18, 07:07 PM
Trisha789
Driver School Candidate

Default Having the same problem

I'm having the same problem with my 06 is350. I tried to start it but on the dash it said to depress my brake pedal even though I was. I tried several times with no luck si I tried again after several minutes but this time when I pressed the button nothing happened, No dash lights not even a light on the start button but the headlights worked fine. Checked all the fuses and there wasn't any power going to the ignition fuses in the engine compartment .Amy ideas what the problem could be ?

Quick Reply: car won't start