IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

PICS> ORACLE 9005 LED DRL Bulb in 2IS

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-09, 01:33 PM
ankurman20
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by IS350JDM
Ok, so they were successfully installed. With a little patience and craftsmanship, you should have no problem installing them.

Installation: The pair that I received consisted of 1 bulb with no excess glue around the bulb, and 1 bulb with blobs of over-glue all around. You can probably guess that the one with the over-glue took a lot more time to put on.

The first bulb (with no excess glue) fit just fine, and took me a few seconds to turn and lock into place. I chose to put that one in the passenger side headlight.

The second bulb with the nasty glue, I tried to test fit it on the driver's side), and there was no way it was going to lock into place. So I took it off and started shaving the glue off with a pocket knife. The glue was hard as rock so it will start shaving off like plastic. I used to methods with the pocket knife: 1) Cut off the bigger chunks with a saw-like motion, 2) Flicked off little pieces away from the bulb. PLEASE do not apply pressure on where the glue holds the bulb together to avoid the whole thing from snapping. It took me 15 minutes to get most of it off, so you can see that this is a long and delicate process. So be patient.

So once most of the glue was shaved off, I decided to try a second test-fit. It was still not going in, but you can tell it went in more so than the first attempt. So without taking it out again to shave off the glue again, I started wiggling the bulb for about 2 minutes, just a continuous turning clockwise and counter-clockwise. Eventually this made enough space for the bulb to pop in, and then I slowly locked it into place. It was a REALLY tight fit. But nonetheless, it's in.

Please turn the car on and test whether the bulbs turn on or not before putting everything back.

Quality: The first thing I noticed on both bulbs was the crazy FLICKERING. It was like a constant but quick flickering, as if it was on steroids. So it's true, they will flicker, but its not noticable from a distance. You will see it flicker like out of control if you are standing right up to it.

Regardless of this minor issue, it does look a million times better than your stock DRL bulbs. It gives the car a very aggressive look from a distance, and is much brighter as well.

I didn't have a real camera with me so I had to use my Blackberry to take these photos, so I apologize for the poor quality. I also couldn't take pics of high-beam, as I was by myself. GF was not there to lend a hand.

Overall, I am so far happy with these because it gets rid of the stock bulb colour and gives it a new aggressive look, but I wouldn't go as far as recommending these to everyone just yet. I'll have to wait and see how they perform and last for a few weeks first.

So buy it at your own risk.

AAC, thanks for troubleshooting with us. It really helped to confirm what the obstacles were so that made my installation much faster. If I may suggest, see if they can get rid of the excess glue during production, and mail it in a more secure case, and hopefully that flickering can go away.

Here is a video that sort of captures the flickering.

wow dude yours look so bright... i got mine a few weeks ago and they dont look bright at all... wtf
Old 03-11-09, 06:03 PM
ankurman20
Lexus Test Driver

so i decided to go and buy the vled led drl and all is can say is WOW... should have gone with the vleds in the first place... they are sooooo much more brighter... now i have to sell the oracle ones
Old 04-08-09, 10:06 AM
Alantjai
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ankurman20
so i decided to go and buy the vled led drl and all is can say is WOW... should have gone with the vleds in the first place... they are sooooo much more brighter... now i have to sell the oracle ones
Hi,

I just got the Oracle leds, but i was wondering about the difference between the color of oracle leds and Vleds?

I have just installed the ORacle ones and i find it pretty blue... how about the vleds? are they also whiter beside the brightness?
Old 09-05-09, 06:08 PM
k4fu
Lead Lap

i know this thread's been a while buttttt how do you install the leds? i took out the plastic covers and stuff but i cant reach for the bulbs!! any help would be appreciated!
Old 09-06-09, 01:30 PM
DailyDrive
Pole Position

i'm likin' the LED but it's starting to sound like a pita. I wanted to do this after seeing the Mercedes e350, e55, and etc. i think it's oem for them... lucky!!! how do they do that? research time...
Old 08-31-10, 10:12 AM
DlxChoi
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by KrapWerdna
i just got my LEDs in the mail. installed them right away. looks really nice, but it still flickers. and then i came across this they you guys are selling capacitors.
where does it go? do i just stuff it inside the case with the DRLs or how does this work?
i wanna know this too, does everything, including the module going inside the headlight?
Old 10-09-10, 11:58 AM
Dannyj444
Driver School Candidate

there easy to switch out so i bought a pair of led's for the car shows and a pair of silverstar ultra's for regular driving..Works perfect lol
Old 08-19-14, 11:56 AM
ClayBiggs
Driver School Candidate

Can someone post link to where they bought them? I found these similar but not the same http://www.ebay.com/itm/Oracle-Lighting-9005-LED-Headlight-Replacement-Bulbs-Pair-/111417240058?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item19f0fc29fa&vxp=mtr