Browse all: Wheels & Tires How-Tos
Print Wikipost

Uneven tire wear, no drop... normal?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-08, 02:24 PM
tmag
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Uneven tire wear, no drop... normal?

Just noticed my front tires are only worn (more) on the outer part, no drop stock everything. About 21K on stock "summer" tires, is this normal or shall I get the dealership or tire shop take a look? Just want to make sure before I get new set of tires (not from the dealership of course).

Last edited by tmag; 09-22-08 at 02:25 PM. Reason: sp
Old 09-22-08, 02:29 PM
slee18
Lexus Test Driver

sounds normal. might need more air in the future sounds like you were running under-inflated tires. plus the rears dont wear as fast because they stay in a neutral position compared to the fronts. IE they turn cause the our and inner wear faster.
Old 09-22-08, 05:20 PM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by tmag
Just noticed my front tires are only worn (more) on the outer part, no drop stock everything. About 21K on stock "summer" tires, is this normal or shall I get the dealership or tire shop take a look? Just want to make sure before I get new set of tires (not from the dealership of course).
Normal wear on the front is about 2/32's" on outer treadblock less than rest of tread. This assumes you corner faster than average driver on properly aligned & 35 PSI tires. Does that sound about right? @ 19,000 mi I was stunned when I inspected my tires while turned to the side at full lock. extreme inner edge had 0/32 rest of tread 6/32
Old 09-22-08, 06:51 PM
tmag
Pole Position

Yes that sounds about right but I didn't think I took corners fast or anything, but yes I did notice that the tread was almost gone on the outer wall on both left and right tires. Good to hear that I'm not the only one and that this is normal. Thanks Bypro and slee18

Last edited by tmag; 09-22-08 at 06:56 PM.
Old 09-22-08, 07:12 PM
2slow
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine were like that. It's probably an uneven alignment. When you change tires, just do an alignment as well.
Old 09-22-08, 08:28 PM
chris07is
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 65 Posts
Lightbulb cha ching!

Originally Posted by 2slow
Mine were like that. It's probably an uneven alignment. When you change tires, just do an alignment as well.
ALIGNMENT INDEED..it happened to my front tires...actually the thread of the tire was out already, but then it was about 26k. the tire shop told me it was the alignment that causes uneven wear of the tire...I bought new tires with lifetime alignment.. every 3 to 4 months i go to the shop and check my tire pressure and then align my tires....
Old 09-22-08, 08:44 PM
istundra
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Actually, yes it is normal for the 2IS to have inner tire wear. This is because that factory specs are slightly negative and the toe. Anywhere from -0.5 to -1.0 for the camber itself. I do not have the exact specs, but if somebody do, please kindly chime.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...0&postcount=47
Old 09-23-08, 12:00 AM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by istundra
Actually, yes it is normal for the 2IS to have inner tire wear. This is because that factory specs are slightly negative and the toe. Anywhere from -0.5 to -1.0 for the camber itself. I do not have the exact specs, but if somebody do, please kindly chime.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...0&postcount=47
If it was normal then every IS would wearout the inner treadbar first. That is not the case, but it seems a highly disproportionate amount of IS are experiencing premature front tire wearout caused by a problem with the front suspension.
Old 09-23-08, 07:02 AM
steview83
Driver School Candidate

hmmm....my car is at 22k and i just noticed severe inner wear on my driver side...(little better on the passenger side)...my car is all stock btw...
Old 09-23-08, 09:11 AM
FiveOhNine
Lexus Champion

Folks, you bought a 'sport sedan' with minimal alignment adjustments.....just be happy that you are getting 20k out of a set of tires.

Trying not to be mean, but a good rule of thumb:

If it handles better than whatever you had before, you'll be investing in more rubber.

Obviously, there are exceptions to that rule, and certainly ways to extend the life of a set of tires. Try a search to see what mileage other people are getting, better tires, longer lasting tires, etc.
Old 09-23-08, 10:23 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,838 Likes on 2,327 Posts

I can't believe all the BS in this thread. NORMAL? HELL NO!!! There are only two things that wear out the outer tread blocks - too much toe in (does NOT meet stock spec) or consistently very hard cornering.

Inner edge wear should NOT happen again unless there is too much toe out - there is NO other reason. There isn't enough camber in this car to wear anything prematurely and camber isn't the issue at anything less than -2.5 degrees. The front is -0.8 and the rear is -1.5 - pretty normal for a factory alignment to ensure the car understeers.

I went 32k miles on my factory Bridgestone RE050s. Iv'e gone nearly 30k on my RE050A PPs and they're about half worn. Proper alignment does amazing things.

The biggest problem with alignments is the guys doing them are usually minimum wage idiots. They don't understand the principles behind what alignment does, they just set up the car to show "good" on their computer controlled devices. It rarely results in good alignment for the performance driver, and frequently doesn't even meet the needs of the casual driver. There's a lot to be said for having someone who really knows what he's doing working on your car's alignment. Even if it is only toe adjustment.

For instance - how many alignment techs actually check air pressure before they do the alignment? Having the correct pressure in all four corners is critical to getting the alignment right. How many actually measure ride height? If the ride height isn't correct, NOTHING will be right according to the factory specs.

So, wearing out the outside or inside edges of your tires is NOT normal for any 2IS - it is a clear sign there is an issue with your alignment or possibly your driving.
The following users liked this post:
ton3r (07-27-17)
Old 09-23-08, 10:59 AM
slee18
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
pretty normal for a factory alignment to ensure the car understeers.
This is also a safety issue. It is easier to control a car with understeer as a normal driver then a car with oversteer.

The biggest problem with alignments is the guys doing them are usually minimum wage idiots. They don't understand the principles behind what alignment does, they just set up the car to show "good" on their computer controlled devices.
I agree with lobux as well. Many of them were "trained" by the previous alignment guy. Many times there have never done an alignment in there life, because they have been changed tires only.

So, wearing out the outside or inside edges of your tires is NOT normal for any 2IS - it is a clear sign there is an issue with your alignment or possibly your driving.
Unless your autocrossing your IS it should not have wear like that. I have that kind of wear on my 91 Z28 but that is because i push the car close to the edge of its performance level.
Old 09-23-08, 12:16 PM
FiveOhNine
Lexus Champion

I can't believe all the BS in this thread. NORMAL? HELL NO!!! There are only two things that wear out the outer tread blocks - too much toe in (does NOT meet stock spec) or consistently very hard cornering.

Inner edge wear should NOT happen again unless there is too much toe out - there is NO other reason......
Yeah, but more toe out will give you better steering response and make you want to throw it into the corners harder which will give you more outer edge wear....so it should even out....in fact, you should have plenty left in the center, so you should over-inflate to cover that too

I still can't believe you got that mileage out of BStone tires....I've never gotten more than 15k out of any (summer) BStone (worn on 3 different cars). I guess I just keep getting a bad batch.
Old 09-23-08, 01:25 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

extra wear on BOTH outside edges of the tread makes me lean towards an underinflated tire issue, how often do you check your tire pressure. Pressure should be checked once every 2 weeks. Overinflated tires will have extra wear on the center of the tread
Old 09-23-08, 05:20 PM
timmy0tool

Received 415 Likes on 370 Posts

prolly cornering harder that you thought since the car can handle the g's w/o you feeling it and your tires are taking the beating for it. just a thought...

i would find it hard to believe that at 15k the car's alignment is already tweaked unless it was altered (lowered) or in a collision.

Quick Reply: Uneven tire wear, no drop... normal?