IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Hydrogen Hybrid Lexus IS350

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-08, 01:59 PM
LSCJJ
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hydrogen Hybrid Lexus IS350

Okay.... it's been 3 months and over $8,000 expenses later.. and we're still perfecting the Hydrogen Hybrid IS350.

So, awhile ago, I decided to round up some guys... and started to work on this hydrogen hybrid.

we first took the Water4Gas system and worked from there. Testing it from a Toyota Corolla, and a Honda Civic, the kit does work, tremendously. pay a small fee for the materials, and we got ourselves a working hydrogen hybrid. The kit only is the surface of the technology. Using the principles of the technology and knowledge combined together, we took the kit to multiple levels of efficiency.

By using better materials, and better mixture of fluid, we were able to generate more hydrogen. Hydrogen is a very dangerous gas, and definately burnable. One of our techs decided to light up some (soda can size amount) and the plastic container exploded, with the force felt throughout the house (yes it shook).

Toyota Corolla was able to get over 80 mpg on our newer cells with the civic coming right behind that.

We have been testing the IS350 for some time now and we also have been running to a lot of bumps throughout the road.

The maximum I have been able to push out of the IS350 is 38 MPG, and we have problems keeping it constant. This is what we discovered, i believe has been discussed in a few threads that the ECU on the car was hard if not impossible to tune:

That the Lexus IS350 was built with adaptive AFR sensors and Fuel injectors, and the ECU onboard actually adjusts itself to run "stock". with multiple piggy backs and differnt boards and controllers, we were able to trick the ECU for some time. and i noticed it got less and less mpg until it was near stock. We have almost perfected our chip to run with no error codes, but not to a point where we would utilize it fully.

On a mission to get maximum MPG, we blew 3 fuses this past weekend and also 2 boards.

Our tests concluded that we were able to fully install this on a Hummer H2, Ford F150 Truck, C6 Corvette, Toyota Camry, Avalon, Honda Civic, Accord, all with 30 - 60%+ Gains in fuel efficiency.

The older the car, the easier and better effieciency you will get.

We also tested one of our cheapest cells on CL member Baoser's Vehicle. a 1st Gen SC. Without any tuning and wasnt using the max amount of hydrogen, Baoser was able to get around 5 MPG gain. I think that is just a little shy from 20%. With tuning and max hydrogen for the cell, no doubt he should get close to 10 MPG gain.

Unfortunately we were unable to continue testing to unforeseen circumstance.

YouTube Video

There's a video of me recording the MPG read off my Scanguage II , which reads real time MPG. It's a bit unclear when uploaded, but basically there are 4 readings. Upper right is GPH and lower right is MPG.
Car was set on Cruise on various Speeds: 60 MPH 70 MPH 75 MPH
GPH is how much I am burning Gallons per Hour.
this was shot on the Highway 99 / 580.

Flat road conditions for this car the GPH readings are around 1.7x GPH.
Of course, there were turns and uphills and downhills where the readings would read 2.xx if not 3.xx GPH when going uphill and 0.xx going downhill.

The MPG numbers fluctuated around 37 - 39 MPG on flat roads with the GPH around 1.7x GPH.

This is a IS350 2006. I got a about 28.xx MPG before on the flat roads.

I have gone through maybe 4 types of cell designs and all sorts of controller modules but havent gotten it down 100%.

For older vehicles pre 2000 or 2001, we have plug and play kits ready for distribution, as we pretty much almost mastered that.

For Lexuses:

1st Gen GS- Okay
2nd Gen GS - Okay
1st Gen SC - Okay
1st Gen IS - Untested
2nd Gen SC - Untested
SUVs - Untested
2nd Gen IS - Prototype
LS - Untested

Hondas:
Pre 2005 Civic/CRV/Accord: Okay

Toyotas:
Pre 2005 Camry / Corolla / Avalon: Okay

Ford:
Various Models tested

We are working hard to get our burned components replaced so it will be up for EOS7. For live demonstration, please visit EOS 7 . September 21, 2008, at Lexus of Stevens Creek.

EOS 7 Details

PM me for any questions.

Last edited by LSCJJ; 09-17-08 at 02:20 PM.
Old 09-17-08, 02:45 PM
huddleston
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 13 Posts

very interesting - keep us posted
Old 09-17-08, 02:47 PM
VikH
Lexus Champion

Hey it's Vik from L4P.

Wow what a crazy project. I did not realize there were hydrogen hybrid kits.

Do you have any pics?

Although, I am able to attain 35 MPG while cruising at 60 mph. Can the 38 be obtained in the city with stop and go?
Old 09-17-08, 02:57 PM
ExTrEmE99
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Your crazy dude! I remember you asking in the bay area thread about starting this project but wow, you've gone a long ways since then!
Old 09-17-08, 03:14 PM
LSCJJ
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by VikH
Hey it's Vik from L4P.

Wow what a crazy project. I did not realize there were hydrogen hybrid kits.

Do you have any pics?

Although, I am able to attain 35 MPG while cruising at 60 mph. Can the 38 be obtained in the city with stop and go?
If you are able to attain 35 MPG, you would have better results than i have.
I was only able to get atbou 28 29 with my circumstances prior to install.

The only problem sithe ECU settings i keep running into. Maximum Fuel efficiency can only be achieved for awhile until the ECU slowly tunes it back to stock. We're figuring out how to keep it steady.

But for older vehicles, no problem!!

I will post pix later.
Old 09-17-08, 04:36 PM
LSCJJ
Lexus Champion

My modulated Power to control Ampage

Close up of 1 cell. I have 2. Each cell as 50 High Grade Stainless Steel plates.

Two Cells.. enclosed in lexan.

Switch

Scanguage II

Hydrogen Creation

Hydrogen
Old 09-17-08, 04:48 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

Originally Posted by CthruIS350
If you are able to attain 35 MPG, you would have better results than i have.
I was only able to get atbou 28 29 with my circumstances prior to install.

The only problem sithe ECU settings i keep running into. Maximum Fuel efficiency can only be achieved for awhile until the ECU slowly tunes it back to stock. We're figuring out how to keep it steady.

But for older vehicles, no problem!!

I will post pix later.
The ECM does this no matter what under closed loop conditions. Apparently you're leaning it out sufficiently for the ECM to apply fuel trim to restore stoichiometric a/f ratios. Sounds like you're going to the far side of 17:1 or so to get the gains you describe. Obviously the HHO is cooling things enough to prevent detonation from retarding the timing and hitting you with a CEL.

The only way you'll solve this is to figure out how to get the wideband AFR to report a different A/F ratio than you are running. As long as it thinks you're not at stoichiometric, it will trim fuel to restore stoich. It can trim up to 20 percent with long term trim, so you'll need to figure out a way to fool the ECM. So far, no one has had great success with trimming fuel without using a device that fundamentally remaps the MAF output, but even those are not effective below 78% throttle. Closed loop is the tuner's enemy on any Toyota product.
Old 09-17-08, 04:58 PM
LSCJJ
Lexus Champion

Last Prototype

Tubing coming to engine bay from rear

Old Prototype

Old Filter for hydrogen gas before it enters Intake
Old 09-17-08, 11:19 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Nice project....

Have you done any testing with the stock intake & airbox???

You will have cooler AIT with the OEM setup.... for sure...

Joe Z
Old 09-17-08, 11:50 PM
iialcii
Lexus Champion

Wow Great Job, good luck with project. thanks for all the fill ins. see u at eos!
Old 09-17-08, 11:59 PM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

cant wait to see it @EOS!
Old 09-18-08, 12:15 AM
josephdoc
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
The only way you'll solve this is to figure out how to get the wideband AFR to report a different A/F ratio than you are running. As long as it thinks you're not at stoichiometric, it will trim fuel to restore stoich. It can trim up to 20 percent with long term trim, so you'll need to figure out a way to fool the ECM. So far, no one has had great success with trimming fuel without using a device that fundamentally remaps the MAF output, but even those are not effective below 78% throttle. Closed loop is the tuner's enemy on any Toyota product.
Pretty much the same as what I have found out but I am not sure about the numbers... and I learned some through the hard way.

I checked out CthruIS350 's project car in person a few times and also see his lastest setup (as in picture) this evening. It does good work of saving fuels but it also has some ECU ruling problems. As myself went through a supercharged 2IS project, my 2cents guess to solve his problmes falls on the engine management of the vehicle.

Custom fuel management and engine management are the biggest challenge
for all lastest models of highend Lex/Toy when coming to an engine modification project, and the solution usually mixes with some modifications of MAF and o2-sims.

I am NOT a pro in tuning and I am getting lazy to go through problems, but I am happy to see another hardcore player who looks for something alternative.

Good luck and keep us (or me only) posted.

Joseph

Last edited by josephdoc; 09-18-08 at 03:12 PM.
Old 09-18-08, 05:21 AM
carlos
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any performance benefits using this or is it strictly just for mileage?
Old 09-18-08, 08:53 AM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

J,
you showed us your proposal weeks ago and you studied this concept months earlier. Though it it a work in progress, now it is a reality.

So you are coming over tonight, so I can help do the cosmetic mods to make the set up look pretty for EOS7.

My little contribution to this project.

As for seeing this car in person and picking the brain of this mad scientist, come check out his car plus 176 other cars that are attending the 7th Annual " End of Summer Meet" in Northern California this coming Sunday.

Shameless Plug :

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=374029

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=376335

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...01#post3837601

Last edited by RMMGS4; 09-18-08 at 08:57 AM.
Old 09-18-08, 09:20 AM
felixcat
Pit Crew

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

I am so suspect since this known scientific facts:

The energy you need to ionize water to get the Hydrogen, is much greater than the energy you get from chemically burning that H2.

So in fact the whole process is: the H2 system will drain more energy from your car's battery/engine, then generate some H2 in return to compensate part of your engine's energy lost.

The reason why you see/claim higher mpg maybe:

1. haven't run the 'actual' objective test to calculate the mpg: ie: precisely fill the gas tank and immediately put the car on the special load machine and run at a set speed for a set time, and precisely calculate how many gal. of gas is burned. Repeat the same procedure for the stock and modified car and compare the results.

Or maybe:

2. from the above scientific facts, the Hydrogen Hybrid system will make the engine energy output less (because drain > input), so in this case its equivalent to a detuned version engine with less hp and torque. Therefore obviously a 'weaker' engine will definitely has higher mpg, just like the I4 camry is more fuel efficient than the V6 camry.

Quick Reply: Hydrogen Hybrid Lexus IS350