IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Are eBAY HID Bulbs That Much Different from places like Xenondepot? Price is half

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-08, 01:13 PM
kuuqi
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh if you're looking into the performance differences of different brands then yes there are some differences though very minute. Basically my buddies and I have bought countless 6000k bulbs for many cars. Basically what we see is that 6000k ebay bulbs have a HUGE variation of color where we had one set of bulbs that were pure white to one set that were pure blue. Basically covering a 5000k to 8000k range. Now I couldn't possibly tell you if any of them were brighter than the other as everyone's headlights used different sized bulbs and different housings. But what I can tell you is that ebay bulbs are difficult to pinpoint the exact color and a blue HID could constitute more refraction on wet roads and fog.

And your seller is probably a good seller and the warranty is there it's just sometimes they might ignore your warranty claim. Usually they won't but they might just take extra long. I'm sure you've done your set of research.
Old 08-30-08, 07:04 PM
sykocus
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by S to the K
So are you staisifed with your eBay bulbs? Have you noticed any performance differences form other brands with the same temperature?
I am satisfied. But another reason reason I decided to get mine on ebay, is because I wasn't sure 8000k was the color temp I wanted. So these bulbs were a bit of an experiment. If I didn't like the color I was only out $100.

There are differences in color and performance from one manufacture to another. My last hid kit was about 5 years ago when 6000k was the cutting edge. Back then there were some 6000k kits that were distinctively purple. Now though it seems the differences in color aren't that distinctive.

If all you want to do is sava a buck, and you like gambling a little, then ebay, is the place for that. If you're concerned about the quality of the product that you're buying, then may want look to one of the CL approved vendors.
Old 09-16-08, 09:56 PM
S to the K
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sykocus
I am satisfied. But another reason reason I decided to get mine on ebay, is because I wasn't sure 8000k was the color temp I wanted. So these bulbs were a bit of an experiment. If I didn't like the color I was only out $100.

There are differences in color and performance from one manufacture to another. My last hid kit was about 5 years ago when 6000k was the cutting edge. Back then there were some 6000k kits that were distinctively purple. Now though it seems the differences in color aren't that distinctive.

If all you want to do is sava a buck, and you like gambling a little, then ebay, is the place for that. If you're concerned about the quality of the product that you're buying, then may want look to one of the CL approved vendors.

I've read on these forums that even Xenondepot bulbs are not that high of a quality (example bulbs change color over time) but that they offer a very good warranty? Are you paying primarily for a warranty?
Old 09-16-08, 10:07 PM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

fyi, i'm getting 6000k d4s's from mobilehid.com. $90 shipped for a set.
Old 09-16-08, 10:14 PM
ihkskim
Lexus Test Driver

my XD 6000k were brighter and VERY oem looking than the EBay kits 4500k/5000k non oem looking colors.

the 4500/5000k are technically supposd to be brighter due to the lower kelvins
Old 09-16-08, 10:22 PM
S to the K
Pole Position

Have you experienced any color changing other ppl are experiencing with Xenon Depot bulbs?
Old 09-16-08, 10:25 PM
ihkskim
Lexus Test Driver

3 yrs flawless until i sold my car 4 months ago. but i noticed recently they dont sell the rebased philips kit anymore so the kits NOW may be different.
Old 09-16-08, 10:28 PM
S to the K
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ihkskim
3 yrs flawless until i sold my car 4 months ago. but i noticed recently they dont sell the rebased philips kit anymore so the kits NOW may be different.
Exactly. That's what I've been reading. Their quality has dropped as of late. Has anyone else heard the same?
Old 09-16-08, 11:19 PM
chikken
Lead Lap

here's my collections of bulbs from various places i bought from.....

-mobile HID
-XD
-Ebay
-Amazon
-Japan

from what I notice, is that the japanese bulb are far more better looking than the rest of the bulbs I bought.

so to answer your question in my honest opinion....ebay, xd, mobilehid are all the same type of bulb that are just sold from different sellers
Old 09-17-08, 01:25 AM
lexusjunky
Rookie

Originally Posted by chikken

-mobile HID
-XD
-Ebay
-Amazon
-Japan

from what I notice, is that the japanese bulb are far more better looking than the rest of the bulbs I bought.

so to answer your question in my honest opinion....ebay, xd, mobilehid are all the same type of bulb that are just sold from different sellers
nice tv you got there
Old 09-17-08, 05:53 PM
S to the K
Pole Position

-mobile HID
-XD
-Ebay
-Amazon
-Japan

Any experience with Xenondepot? Would you say they are pretty much the same as the rest?
Old 09-17-08, 05:56 PM
chikken
Lead Lap

XD=xenondepot

you're basically paying more for the warranty....quality wise...its the same.
Old 09-17-08, 06:19 PM
S to the K
Pole Position

XD=xenondepot

you're basically paying more for the warranty....quality wise...its the same.
Oh my fault, didn't catch that. Yeah, that's what I've been reading. Xenondepot bulbs are similar to the others sold elsewhere for less, they just have a better warranty. If that's the consensus, then buying from them would not be that great of a deal. Other dealers who charge a whole lot less have similar no hassle warranties.
Old 09-17-08, 08:08 PM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Received 30 Likes on 14 Posts

Buy them from Clifford at MobileHID. You won't find better customer service ANYWHERE.

Javier
Old 09-17-08, 08:27 PM
aznpapaya
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by cliffud
wow - guess i'm undercharging because the special offer deal for the CL crew via mobilehid.com is $60 a pair.

http://www.mobilehid.com/cl.htm

<edit>lol - i thought we were talking about HID kit replacement bulbs</edit>
hey cliffud is that $60 for a set HID replacement bulb still good?

Last edited by aznpapaya; 09-17-08 at 08:33 PM.

Quick Reply: Are eBAY HID Bulbs That Much Different from places like Xenondepot? Price is half