IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Official "Got my GFX kit" thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-08, 02:16 PM
fasteddy91
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

very nice. I ordered my starfire gfx kit at 12:01 and have not recieved a tracking number or a call saying that I missed the boat. I called on thursday and Darrell told me the workorder was at the warehouse being completed, but haven't heard since. I guess 'll be getting a call shortly saying i'm SOL
Old 08-23-08, 02:28 PM
VikH
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark350
Nice, so the old sideskirts screwed off and the new ones screwed right on?
There is a screw on each end, 7 tabs under the skirt, 2 screws on the sill, and 10 push clips inside. That sucker is on there tight!

Summary of instructions:
1. Removed 2 clips from rear mudflap. Twist mudflap away (Can't be removed).
2. Remove each screw on the ends in the wheel wells.
3. Remove all 7 tabs by pulling the top tab and then pulling off the whole clip.
4. Remove 2 screws behind weather stripping on the sill. The front screw is located directly under the door hinge. Pull the weather stripping away and stick a screw driver in. The rear screw is easier to get to. It's near the end of the weather stripping.
5. Gently pull the side skirt off. I started from the front and worked my way to the rear. There are 10 or so clips holding to the car so you have to pull with enough force to undo them. Don't pull too hard or you can damage the parts.
6. Install new side skirt. I started from the rear and pushed it in making sure the clips "clicked".
7. Screw in the ends and then screw in the sills.
8. Add the 7 clips.
9. Swap the weather stripping. Make sure all of the clips click.
10. Done.
Old 08-23-08, 02:43 PM
Mark350
Driver

You swapped the weather stripping as in you replaced it?
Old 08-23-08, 02:48 PM
VikH
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Mark350
You swapped the weather stripping as in you replaced it?
No. You swap the weather stripping from the old side skirt to the new. I wiped it down a bit since it was filthy.

The kit comes with instructions and they are very clear. You should have no problems.
Old 08-23-08, 05:30 PM
Evil Teo
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

thanx vikh for explaining the process, i didn't understand the pic instructions from sewell on their site. i'll be doin mines on tuesday as i have business to take care of. show us more when ur done with the complete kit.
Old 08-24-08, 05:19 AM
cb804
Driver

Ordered front lip early Weds. morning, arrived on Friday, installed Saturday morning. Thanks Sewell!!!

Very easy install. Be sure all the clips are in all the way -- I wasn't happy with the way it looked and then I found this thread.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...&highlight=lip

So I took off the lip and made sure the clips "clicked" in. No gaps...
Attached Thumbnails Official "Got my GFX kit" thread-img_3262a.jpg  
Old 08-24-08, 05:51 AM
VikH
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by cb804
Ordered front lip early Weds. morning, arrived on Friday, installed Saturday morning. Thanks Sewell!!!

Very easy install. Be sure all the clips are in all the way -- I wasn't happy with the way it looked and then I found this thread.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...&highlight=lip

So I took off the lip and made sure the clips "clicked" in. No gaps...
I'm glad my thread helped you out! Looks great.
Old 08-24-08, 02:11 PM
DRivera250
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

*sigh

i tried install the front lip today and got frustrated. turns out when i had the front bumper replaced by the insurance company's repair shop they only put 5 of the screws instead of 9 and didn't use the proper clip for one of the clips and now there is gap between the headlight and bumper. I won't be able to install the lip without breaking clip.

maybe i'll just call the dealer.

Last edited by DRivera250; 08-24-08 at 02:22 PM.
Old 08-24-08, 02:54 PM
VikH
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by badpinoy
*sigh

i tried install the front lip today and got frustrated. turns out when i had the front bumper replaced by the insurance company's repair shop they only put 5 of the screws instead of 9 and didn't use the proper clip for one of the clips and now there is gap between the headlight and bumper. I won't be able to install the lip without breaking clip.

Can you take pics? I don't really understand why it's not working. The number of screws is fine. You don't need all 9. I don't understand how they put on the wrong clip on the bumper when they fixed it? Isn't integrated with the bumper?

You can adjust the gap between the headlight and bumper. This is a common fix.
Old 08-24-08, 03:43 PM
BounceNY
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by VikH
You can adjust the gap between the headlight and bumper. This is a common fix.
Is it hard to adjust for this? I seem to have a slight gap on my driver side vs. passanger side. Noticed while waxing today...
Old 08-24-08, 03:57 PM
as3.0cl
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by BounceNY
Is it hard to adjust for this? I seem to have a slight gap on my driver side vs. passanger side. Noticed while waxing today...
yea i need to know this also..

but i put my front lip and side on, no drilling for the front lip just ripped those tabs off, i got a slight 1mm gap if that on the left hand side of the car but other then that perfect....my paint is a little off compared to the lip now, just because of all the road rash on my nose.
Old 08-24-08, 04:06 PM
graves4r6
Driver School Candidate

I just ordered sides,rear, and rear spoiler + higher mount third brake lamp.
cannot wait till they get here
Old 08-24-08, 04:44 PM
BounceNY
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by as3.0cl
yea i need to know this also..

but i put my front lip and side on, no drilling for the front lip just ripped those tabs off, i got a slight 1mm gap if that on the left hand side of the car but other then that perfect....my paint is a little off compared to the lip now, just because of all the road rash on my nose.
Exactly how my front lip is too...left side for some reason has 1mm gap, but other side is perfect. I ended up adding some 3M automotive tape, it helped a little...
Old 08-24-08, 04:46 PM
as3.0cl
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by BounceNY
Exactly how my front lip is too...left side for some reason has 1mm gap, but other side is perfect. I ended up adding some 3M automotive tape, it helped a little...
i didn't have any tape, so i just left it how it was, barely noticeable but i am obsessed so i know it's there.

one corner of my side skirt though has the paint worn off, didn't notice it until it was on the car. must have been form the shipping. but i need to go get some touch up paint anyways so it'll be alright.
Old 08-24-08, 04:49 PM
sykocus
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by badpinoy
*sigh

Can't you take it back to the body shop? Doesn't sound like they repaired your car right the first time.

Quick Reply: Official "Got my GFX kit" thread