IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

GFX Rear Installation Tip(s)

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-08, 10:05 PM
is350matic
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GFX Rear Installation Tip(s)

I'm about to tackle installing the GFX rear I got for $85.00+tax+shipping tomorrow, any tips for those who did it them self? Do I really have disconnect the battery as instructed?
Old 08-09-08, 10:54 PM
Ikonz350
Lead Lap

I didn't disconnect the battery.. why would u need 2 disconnect it anyways? All your really doing is taking the rear bumper off.
Old 08-10-08, 08:14 PM
is350matic
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Ikonz350
I didn't disconnect the battery.. why would u need 2 disconnect it anyways? All your really doing is taking the rear bumper off.
That's what I thought...but the instruction said to disconnect the battery; however, I took your advice and did not disconnect the battery. I just finished the install and it looks good. Also save money (about $90) doing it myself. Will post pix tomorrow.
Old 08-11-08, 06:38 PM
Benji668
Rookie

Originally Posted by Ikonz350
how differcult of taking the rear bumper off?
Old 08-11-08, 09:48 PM
istundra
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

mark your points and drill carefully.

before you peel the adhesive, make sure everything lines up as anticipated.

Follow the instructions and start the tape from each end peeling it out.. while holding it out with masking tape. Remember, do not peel all of the tape. Just enough to have reach to peel it while it is partially mounted.

Loosely put in all the screws.... with 2 people... carefully peel back the tape.. .. once all the tape is removed, then press firmly on all areas.

lastly,, bolt down all screws and mount your bumper. Let the tape cure and then wash.

On yeah, remember to use 3M adhesive, tar, and wax remover to prep the surface.
Old 08-11-08, 10:45 PM
is350matic
Pole Position

It's actually very easy to remove the bumper, just follow the instruction. The hardest part was removing what they called grommet and rescrewing the screw that secures them at each top corner near the rear wheels.

As said before, follow the instructions. The only suggestion is to snug up the nuts and tapping screws, which I did. Then peel the tape protector, both the fat and skinny one at the same time (not one at time per instruction) working from the center out; because when I did the right side first, I only peeled the bottom fat one and had difficulty peeling the top skinny one because it is so close the original bumper. I had to peel very carefully without ripping the the tape protector, it actually stretch to point of almost ripping. When I did the other side of center line, I peeled both and I did the same procedure to sides without and problems afterwards. Just make sure the gap are the same prior to any peeling. Other that that, it was a breeze. Oh yeah, I first clean the the entire bumper and then wipe the bonding area with rubbing alcohol and made sure not to touch it afterwards.
Old 08-15-08, 09:45 PM
is350matic
Pole Position

Default Before pix

A little late but here is before
Attached Thumbnails GFX Rear Installation Tip(s)-before.jpg  
Old 08-15-08, 09:49 PM
is350matic
Pole Position

Default And After

after pix...
Attached Thumbnails GFX Rear Installation Tip(s)-after.jpg  
Old 08-16-08, 02:13 AM
IS250_6Spd
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by is350matic
after pix...
Damn i hate that angle!
Old 08-16-08, 12:10 PM
is350matic
Pole Position

Originally Posted by IS250_6Spd
Damn i hate that angle!
OK, how about this angle...
Attached Thumbnails GFX Rear Installation Tip(s)-angle.jpg  
Old 08-16-08, 03:49 PM
inwood
Lead Lap

Looks good, I need to go ahead and install mine also. Mine has been sitting in the garage for weeks.
Old 08-16-08, 07:41 PM
BounceNY
Lexus Test Driver

I got looking at how to install the rear lip. Took me a min to find that grommet, but I'm not sure how to take it out. Says in manual with a flat screw driver, do you just stick it in that slot and yank on it?
Old 08-16-08, 08:11 PM
is350matic
Pole Position

Originally Posted by BounceNY
I got looking at how to install the rear lip. Took me a min to find that grommet, but I'm not sure how to take it out. Says in manual with a flat screw driver, do you just stick it in that slot and yank on it?
Here is what I did:

Assuming you already removed the screw holding the bumper and the grommet at the same time. Pull the bumper down, near where the grommet is, just enough to remove the grommet from the car but not from the rear bumper. You will know what I mean when you do this, then use a flat screw driver to move the tabs so you can remove it from the bumper. Don't worry, the bumper is very flexible. I guess you can leave it in place if you have enough people to hold it down while you slide the bumper straight towards the back so it doesn't scratch the body. In my case, I did it all myself , and hence the reason I took it off.
Old 08-16-08, 08:27 PM
BounceNY
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by is350matic
Here is what I did:

Assuming you already removed the screw holding the bumper and the grommet at the same time. Pull the bumper down, near where the grommet is, just enough to remove the grommet from the car but not from the rear bumper. You will know what I mean when you do this, then use a flat screw driver to move the tabs so you can remove it from the bumper. Don't worry, the bumper is very flexible. I guess you can leave it in place if you have enough people to hold it down while you slide the bumper straight towards the back so it doesn't scratch the body. In my case, I did it all myself , and hence the reason I took it off.
Actually, I haven't removed anything yet. I was just looking at the steps and went out to the car. I'm not sure which thing is the grommet . Is it a white piece of plastic, I found that under the wheel well liner. (located at the seam of the rear bumper/car at each end. How do you pull that out with a flat head screw driver?
Old 08-16-08, 08:34 PM
is350matic
Pole Position

Yes, in my case the color is white on the right and orange on the left. Basically remove all the screws & tabs and then follow the instruction I gave above, make sure to remove screw before pulling it down.

Quick Reply: GFX Rear Installation Tip(s)