IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Pulled over for tint...might even be factory!

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-08, 06:53 PM
Enginerd
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Pulled over for tint...might even be factory!

Ok, so I respect when police officers give people fix it tickets for very dark tint due to officer safety and not knowing what is inside the car. So today I got pulled over right in front of the dealership (getting touch up paint) and got a fix it ticket for tint on front windows. I just got the car two months ago (private seller), and it was already tinted. He stated that the tinting was not too dark but too reflective, I guess it does have some reflective quality but I never thought of it as illegal. So of course now I have to have the front tint removed, signed off, and then re-applied (lighter?). He said that dealerships offten tint cars to make them more attractive for buyers, though they should not do this and I should take it up with the dealer. But since I'm the second owner I can only susspect that the tint came that way, but cannot prove it. Doe's anyone think I should stop and chat with another officer to have a second oppinion before I take a razor blade to my windows ? What would be the best way to remove tint without having to pay an arm and a leg and not damage or scratch the glass? See pic below...sorry, just venting. I was of course very curtious to the officer, and he was very curtious back but still gave the ticket
Attached Thumbnails Pulled over for tint...might even be factory!-dsc00590-640x480-.jpg  
Old 07-23-08, 06:57 PM
Evil Teo
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

wat percent tint is it. from the picture above doesn't look tint to me. maybe i a close up would be better as well.
Old 07-23-08, 06:57 PM
ExTrEmE99
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

looking at the photo, looks like you have 60-70% tint (almost clear)That is way to light to be 50%

I think you should just pay the fix it and leave the current tint because it looks fine. I think the cop was nit picking when he pulled you over..
Old 07-23-08, 07:06 PM
Enginerd
Driver

Unfortunatly I do not know what percent it is because it was already tinted when I got the car. What do you mean when you say pay the fix it and keep the tint? I thought I have to pay $10 after another officers signs off the fix it, in other words my understanding is that I don't have a choice but to remove the tint. Here is another pic. I guess like any tint it looks different from different angles.
Attached Thumbnails Pulled over for tint...might even be factory!-dsc00591-640x480-.jpg  
Old 07-23-08, 07:07 PM
DRivera250
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if it was tinted at the dealer shouldn't they have records of it? I know you are the second owner, but they keep records according to the VIN.
Old 07-23-08, 07:08 PM
mitchsti
Driver School Candidate

Default tint

i have 20% on front and 5% on rear got pulled over and was given a fixit ticket for no front plate , not a word said about tint it just depends on the officer that pulls you over. if you know someone you can get it signed off without removing the tint. when you pat it off it will cost like 250 or 300 and you dont have to remove the tint
Old 07-23-08, 07:09 PM
Mister T
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I hate to hear this happen to a fellow californian with tint

But your windows are definitely tinted front and rear - light but noticable compared to the background.

I changed from 50% to 35% on the front (knock on wood) and the tint shop here charged just $20 a window for removol only.

I wouldn't consider $40 an arm and leg.
Old 07-23-08, 07:14 PM
Enginerd
Driver

Yeah, wish I knew someone, I suppose I don't have much choice but to have it removed, and then re-applied. Living in SoCal without tint just sucks, car gets way too warm. I drove a lowered honda with an exhaust and tinted windows for 6 years and never got pulled over for any fix it's...go figure.
Old 07-23-08, 07:16 PM
meefer
Lead Lap

I bet if you just got it signed off by another officer and said "i got it retinted," he would sign you out no problem. That tint doesn't seem excessive at all to me.
Old 07-23-08, 07:17 PM
tcho82
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Where in CA are you?
Old 07-23-08, 07:31 PM
sith120
Rookie

Originally Posted by Enginerd
Unfortunatly I do not know what percent it is because it was already tinted when I got the car. What do you mean when you say pay the fix it and keep the tint? I thought I have to pay $10 after another officers signs off the fix it, in other words my understanding is that I don't have a choice but to remove the tint. Here is another pic. I guess like any tint it looks different from different angles.
Thats not right, its not even dark - ride it out, FTW
Old 07-23-08, 07:32 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

At least he didn't write you up for not having a front plate.
Old 07-23-08, 07:36 PM
BoOst3d
Lead Lap

bring it in and ask them to use the tint measurement tool that measures how dark the tints are.....
Old 07-23-08, 07:46 PM
IS-MIKE
Driver

That looks like at least 50% tint to me, maybe even a bit darker. I have 30% tint in the back and it looks like nothing. Hard to tell exactly what that is though just from the picture.
Tint is measured in light transmission. A 70% tint is 70% of the light getting through. Normal auto glass is just over 70% light transmission usually.
Old 07-23-08, 07:53 PM
Enginerd
Driver

Yeah, like I said I don't think I can get away with it, but might have to give a try talking to another officer. Most likely just have to deal and get it taken off and apply lighter tint up front. Seems like a waste of $150-$200 bucks with the removal and re-application but can't immagine not having tint at all. And yeah, at least he didn't get me for no front plate, though that would have been way easier to temporarily fix since I have plugs in the mounting holes and a plate handy, guess I will have to put a plate on when I go to get the tint signed off. Thanks for letting me rant... now I will go make myself a stiff Margarita and all will be better lol. To answer the question I'm in San Diego.

Quick Reply: Pulled over for tint...might even be factory!