IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Seat temperature controls

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-08, 07:17 PM
LexusIS-TL
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Seat temperature controls

I don't use these often but you know how the IS can cool and heat the seats? Well, I'm not feeling it that much. The passenger especially. When I first got it, it worked great but after a long while, it doesn't seem to be that effective anymore. Does the cooling rely on the AC unit turned all the way up or are they on separate controls? It takes a hell of a long time to notice any difference.

Anyone else that has an IS experiencing weak temperatured controlled front seats?
Old 07-16-08, 07:37 PM
darkdream
Lexus Champion

Mine for fine... most of the time i keep my a/c on the lowest and on 75 degrees the air is noticeable when coming through the seats but isn't meant to be like blasting it through since its just small fans... just enough to keep you from sweating on your back really...

Last edited by darkdream; 07-16-08 at 08:06 PM.
Old 07-16-08, 07:50 PM
i3urton
Lexus Test Driver

the seat are just a fan....so u need to have the ac on toward your feet and head so the seat fan can get some of that cool air and blow it through...
Old 07-16-08, 10:11 PM
MicaIS
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah I noticed they were weak when I TEST DROVE the car, the salesman said its cause I was in the sun, I said.. dude, I dont drive in the shade so whats the point ?? I guess pointing the AC down at your feet area would make a difference, but I was disappointed with the cooled seats. Couldn't buy the car without'm. So I feel like the premium package i paid for all went towards the birds eye maple accents, haha..
BTW I'm over 5'11 210lbs so maybe i'm just to fat to feel a difference
Old 07-16-08, 10:36 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

man I dont feel anything really either. When I first got the car I could feel a little something when my hand was right over the surface of the seat, but now not really much of anything. I am wondering if its only to cool the surface of the seat as opposed to blasting your butt with cool air
Old 07-16-08, 10:44 PM
ISF_GG
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't think it was ever designed to blast your butt , or with the AC on full blast we'd all be human popsicles . It was designed to add a little comfort to our backsides, and that's about all.
Old 07-16-08, 10:48 PM
Scythe
Lead Lap

i agree, id ont feel much either =( especially when the black leather is 100 degrees
Old 07-17-08, 12:57 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by LexusIS-TL
I don't use these often but you know how the IS can cool and heat the seats? Well, I'm not feeling it that much. The passenger especially. When I first got it, it worked great but after a long while, it doesn't seem to be that effective anymore. Does the cooling rely on the AC unit turned all the way up or are they on separate controls? It takes a hell of a long time to notice any difference.

Anyone else that has an IS experiencing weak temperatured controlled front seats?
Yeah, it's been known they are weak. They are not supposed to blow cold air... just "air." Further, your body gets used to the feeling after the first few minutes, making it seem even weaker.
Personally, I use it to keep sweat down. And for that it is decent.
The one thing I don't like though is the switch to turn them on and off. The sideways motion is counter intuitive to every switch in the car. And the finger has to twist an akward motion to get the thing from 3 to 0 or 0 to 3.
Oh well, things could be worse.
Old 07-17-08, 01:14 AM
Mister T
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

If we had AC seats it would be a different story, but we don't.

They just vent air but if it's 100 degrees out, there is no cool air to vent.

I find the vented seats most effective when the AC is also on and our seat helps circulate that air to our bottom and back.

Last edited by Mister T; 07-17-08 at 11:56 AM. Reason: vented not cooled
Old 07-17-08, 04:13 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by LexusIS-TL

NOtice? It's one of the key features that attracted me to the car.
Old 07-17-08, 04:59 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

As others have said, the seats are ventilated, not cooled. I appreciate the seat heaters in winter, but find the ventilators to be a complete waste of time.
Old 07-17-08, 09:27 AM
meefer
Lead Lap

Actually I find the ventilation to make a bit of a difference. I'm less "sticky" on my backside for my extended commute than if I turned them completely off. It's not going to cool you down if the car is 150 degrees, but it does prevent sweat from forming when I drive for an hour or more.

It is just ventilated air apparently from a very different source than the A/C. There was an old thread IIRC that detailed how difficult it would be to get the A/C air into the seat. Cooled seats? Try a Caddy CTS.
Old 07-17-08, 09:44 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

The seat ventilators actually work well in the summer granted your HVAC settings are not on the FACE only or upper dash vent settings. If you have it on BI LEVEL or Floor level, you will be quite surprised how well the seat ventilators work on a hot day.
Old 07-17-08, 09:44 AM
wkw84
Driver

i was about to start a thread about this too. i've noticed that they don't work all the time.. so the question is, do i need to have the a/c on to use the vented? when i use the vented seats, and don't turn on my a/c, it seems like they don't even work. i turn it on and put my hand over the seat after about a 1hr drive, and they're not even blowing any air! other times i could feel it blowing through my pants. i want them to work all the time.. not just sometimes!

and what is IIRC and HVAC?

Last edited by wkw84; 07-17-08 at 09:48 AM.
Old 07-17-08, 10:01 AM
DrGP
Driver

I have also been disappointed with the seat cooling system and feel that it is so inadequate that I don't even bother using it. If Lexus does not change the system to make it actually worthwhile to use, they might as well not even offer it. BTW, you can always NOT use it if you don't like it.

Quick Reply: Seat temperature controls