IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Should I buy now or wait?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-08, 07:25 PM
MrAcura
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I buy now or wait?

Hi, I own a Acura TL 2006, beast car I must say. Now I'm in love with the Lexus IS 350 model. The real question is should I wait for another 2 years and buy the new design or buy the current one. I'm damn confused after reading the threads in this forum after seeing that they mentioned a complete new design is due in 2 years from previous threads. I only have 35k miles on my TL and can do with that car for 2 years but is it for sure that the new car is coming out!?!?!? I don't want to wait for nothing, that'll be a foo thing.

thank u,
MrAcura

Last edited by MrAcura; 07-09-08 at 07:29 PM.
Old 07-09-08, 08:50 PM
FiveOhNine
Lexus Champion

Hate to oversimplify, but if you like the current one, then get one...Otherwise wait. Honestly, if I were in your shoes and not leasing that TL, I'd just hang on to it. Even I will admit that it's not an IS350, but it's still a nice car and you'll get bent over on a trade in, taxes, etc.
Old 07-09-08, 09:11 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If you are looking then just do it! If it makes sens and makes you happy then why wait! If you dont feel you need or really want the car then dont do it. They are very similar cars in many ways and different in a few ways. RWD vs. FWD being the major difference between the two. They both offer great features on the interior but Acura has a better Navi then Lexus.

Its a fun car to drive as a daily driver. Good luck in your decision and welcome to Club Lexus!

Mike
Old 07-09-08, 09:28 PM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

if you got $$$ to buy.....get it now.....
Old 07-09-08, 10:28 PM
tsx_lex
Rookie

I know what you mean man. I'm in the same boat as you are, though I'm not going to wait for 3 years. If you can hold on for another 2 months or so then you can get the facelifted IS 2009, atleast that's a redesign to some extent and will get you going for some time. If you really new ride with a new design then you can trade-in TL for TSX 2009, drive that car for 2-3 years and get then get the IS. If I were you, I'd keep the TL for another 3 years before buying an new car..

Good luck!
Old 07-09-08, 10:57 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

What if the third gen IS sucks?

You might as well get the current one and enjoy the hell out of it...
Old 07-09-08, 10:57 PM
fasteddy91
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are happy with your TL, I would wait two or three years for the 3rd gen IS. I would of waited and hoped for a manual tranny 350, but my integra was on it's last leg so I couldn't of waited. I'm happy with what i have, just wished Lexus would have made a true manual or SMG tranny for the is350.
Old 07-09-08, 11:15 PM
MrAcura
Driver School Candidate

yeah i guess i'm pretty happy at this point and just looking for a change, i will probably wait.

PhilipMSPT dude, what if the IS 3rd GEN is the greatest car ever? You sound like a pessimist to me. I think they'll improve a lot including the navi and all the toys in it, okay now i feel like going for a ride in my Acura TL, see ya ltrz
Old 07-09-08, 11:50 PM
iialcii
Lexus Champion

if u like it buy it, the economy is going bad, its prob a good time to purchase a car at a great price, if u have the cash.
u might not liek the 3rd gen. I love my car not one regret well maybe in options but no regret in buying a lexus.
Old 07-10-08, 12:08 AM
future_lex
Driver School Candidate

whaaa??? 3rd gen?? It's not even out... u guyz r scared that your cars will get old.. muhahhaha, i have to wait now, chee chee.. when iz the new car design coming out.. new design cannot be badder than the current. the current one iz 2 small, like the corolla, bloated like anything, no head room.. whenever i see a dude in IS, i go LOL cuz my bimmer has sexcellent viewing i luv the ergos, i hope luxo improvez all dis stuff in da new gen, otherwize this car is not that great for normal peeps, unless u r a midget or a chic, i think now i will wait..i test drove one last week, lot of weird sounds, steering is like crap when compared to bimmer man, i have the m series steering wid sports pkg... that reliablity crap is all bull s (BS), i don't have any probs wid muh BMW, but wait i would like to buy someding new, da luxo 2009 because it's smooch while driving.. muhahahhahahha

thanks,
Old 07-10-08, 02:09 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by MrAcura
Hi, I own a Acura TL 2006, beast car I must say. Now I'm in love with the Lexus IS 350 model. The real question is should I wait for another 2 years and buy the new design or buy the current one. I'm damn confused after reading the threads in this forum after seeing that they mentioned a complete new design is due in 2 years from previous threads. I only have 35k miles on my TL and can do with that car for 2 years but is it for sure that the new car is coming out!?!?!? I don't want to wait for nothing, that'll be a foo thing.

thank u,
MrAcura
I used to think the same way you did until I finally realized the following: *There will always be something new, better, hotter, and more wanted every single model year.* You cannot stop the progression. The current IS will change, so will the TL, and everything else. It's usually for the better and the next model will usually be more desirable than the one it's replacing. Having said that, get what you want now and dont' worry about the future. It is impossible (and expensive) to always stay sastisfied when new models are constantly coming out, improving, and looking more modern.
Old 07-10-08, 06:33 AM
Copper_Hed
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Right now is a good time to buy almost anything; stock, houses, cars....
The current economic conditions really favor the buyer right now. If you are in the position to do so, I would buy the Lexus. Your difficulty will be in selling the Acura. If possible, I would buy the Lexus and wait 6 mos to sell the Acura. Locally, here in Phoenix, trade-in allowances are way down, the used lots are full, and some dealers are not even taking anything on trade if it's not an economy car. BTW the dealerships are mostly ghost towns as well.
Good time to buy, not so good to trade in or sell.