IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

XM radio without shark fin?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-08, 03:54 PM
heathere
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XM radio without shark fin?

I just got my IS about 1 month ago and realized that it doesn't have the shark fin... can I still get the XM radio set up without having that fin installed??
Old 06-30-08, 04:09 PM
CAIFAN_64
Lexus Champion

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

yeah all 06's didn't had the shark fin, you can have xm but you will be stuck withe the ugly black square antenna in the trunk!!
Old 06-30-08, 04:16 PM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can buy an aftermarket external like a Terk, or purchase the shark-fin, or simply purchase an XM external OEM antenna from a crashed newer vehicle junkyard. Cadillac uses a smaller black XM rook mount antenna. You can have a body shop drill it in the roof for you if you are not confident with the install.
Old 06-30-08, 04:20 PM
heathere
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by CAIFAN_64
yeah all 06's didn't had the shark fin, you can have xm but you will be stuck withe the ugly black square antenna in the trunk!!
As long as this ugly black square antenna is IN the trunk and unseen... I don't mind! Is this already installed? I have the Navi package and stuff so figured all of this would be included. When I push the AM/SAT button, nothing is happening (only AM stations come on, but nothing XM is turning on). I understand that my XM is not activated yet, but I should still be able to turn on the XM using this button to find my radio ID, right?? I tried to call the XM people but they are clueless.
Old 06-30-08, 04:22 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

If you don't like the black antenna on your bodywork some people have put it on top of the stop light (CHMSL) in the back window. Personally, any IS looks better without the BMW copied shark fin. Don't see the beauty in that appendage on any car, Lexus or BMW. Just my opinion.

You don't have the XM radio module/antenna installed. You have to buy that as a separate accessory and install it in the trunk.

Last edited by Evitzee; 06-30-08 at 06:19 PM.
Old 06-30-08, 04:22 PM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by heathere
As long as this ugly black square antenna is IN the trunk and unseen... I don't mind! Is this already installed? I have the Navi package and stuff so figured all of this would be included. When I push the AM/SAT button, nothing is happening (only AM stations come on, but nothing XM is turning on). I understand that my XM is not activated yet, but I should still be able to turn on the XM using this button to find my radio ID, right?? I tried to call the XM people but they are clueless.
I doubt you have the "Tuner Box" installed in your trunk. You can check and see if you pull up the passenger rear carpeting and look at the "Smart Key" mounting bracket. Typically, you will have an XM ID for channel 1 if their is a tuner box present. This box is typically around $250-$350.
Old 06-30-08, 04:28 PM
heathere
Driver School Candidate

Question

Originally Posted by Brian231
I doubt you have the "Tuner Box" installed in your trunk. You can check and see if you pull up the passenger rear carpeting and look at the "Smart Key" mounting bracket. Typically, you will have an XM ID for channel 1 if their is a tuner box present. This box is typically around $250-$350.
Brian - Should I get this done at Lexus or some electronics store??
Old 06-30-08, 04:36 PM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

On average, dealers want $700 for the box and instal. There are some DIY's on here for you and the install is easy. It is a plug and play OEM unit. I would buy from Sewell and install yourself if you can handle small electronics. The antenna might want to be done by a body shop for best possible reception.
Old 06-30-08, 04:44 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

If you had the tuner box you would still get XM channel 1 (preview channel) by pushing SAT. If you don't then you don't have it.

There's a thread on installing the unit yourself (including in an 06) and it's not that difficult... everything is done in the trunk you just remove a few interior panels, and it's all plug and play, no cutting or splicing wires or anything. You will have to run/mount the additional antenna someplace, that's pretty much the only "extra" work for an 06 compared to just plugging in the shark fin on the 07-08s.
Old 06-30-08, 04:47 PM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Kurtz
If you had the tuner box you would still get XM channel 1 (preview channel) by pushing SAT. If you don't then you don't have it.

There's a thread on installing the unit yourself (including in an 06) and it's not that difficult... everything is done in the trunk you just remove a few interior panels, and it's all plug and play, no cutting or splicing wires or anything. You will have to run/mount the additional antenna someplace, that's pretty much the only "extra" work for an 06 compared to just plugging in the shark fin on the 07-08s.
I just stated all of this Kurtz (LOL).
Old 07-01-08, 06:06 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Yeah, when I read the forum I tend to open all the "new" threads in firefox tabs and then go through em one by one... an unfortunate side effect is that if someone else posts in one of those threads in the 15-20 minutes it takes to go through them I won't see it until after my own post (if any) is made.... you'll note my post was within 10 minutes of yours.
Old 07-01-08, 06:45 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurtz
Yeah, when I read the forum I tend to open all the "new" threads in firefox tabs and then go through em one by one... an unfortunate side effect is that if someone else posts in one of those threads in the 15-20 minutes it takes to go through them I won't see it until after my own post (if any) is made.... you'll note my post was within 10 minutes of yours.
haha...I have done this a few times to

To the OP I did install mine myself I didnt remove all the stuff that the DIY thread says to do. You only need to access the right corner. I just took out the clips and few things that where there and pushed/pulled that piece out. I had more then enough room to work. But save the $$ and do it yourself!
Old 07-09-08, 07:28 PM
heathere
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by passnu2
haha...I have done this a few times to

To the OP I did install mine myself I didnt remove all the stuff that the DIY thread says to do. You only need to access the right corner. I just took out the clips and few things that where there and pushed/pulled that piece out. I had more then enough room to work. But save the $$ and do it yourself!
passnu2 -
Since you did this yourself... How did you run/mount the additional antenna? Have any issues w/reception ?
Old 07-09-08, 07:32 PM
heathere
Driver School Candidate

I found the XM tuner box on Sewell and am considering buying it... but why is this thing so expensive ($300)? You could get a full XM Satellite Radio Receiver product from Best Buy for less than $100!!! I know it wouldn't look at clean and cool because you would have that crappy receiver sitting in your front dash area somewhere... but I just don't understand why the tuner box is 3x as much, than a complete radio receiver. ?!?!?!
Old 07-09-08, 07:45 PM
mikes rx
I use "..." ....... a lot

passnu2 -
Since you did this yourself... How did you run/mount the additional antenna? Have any issues w/reception ?
I mounted mine on the lower right corner of the rear windshield

I found the XM tuner box on Sewell and am considering buying it... but why is this thing so expensive ($300)? You could get a full XM Satellite Radio Receiver product from Best Buy for less than $100!!! I know it wouldn't look at clean and cool because you would have that crappy receiver sitting in your front dash area somewhere... but I just don't understand why the tuner box is 3x as much, than a complete radio receiver. ?!?!?!
It is expensive because it is fully integrated into and controlled by your existing radio

Quick Reply: XM radio without shark fin?