IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Anyone use Rhino Ramps when installing front lip?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-08, 01:16 PM
sahara78
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone use Rhino Ramps when installing front lip?

Will the front clearance of the car high enough to use the rhino ramps? any experiences?
Old 06-18-08, 01:22 PM
T-Rex06
Ho Motorsports

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

If your car is stock height, you should be fine. I had a hard time driving up the ramps because mine is dropped pretty low.

Terrance
Old 06-18-08, 02:48 PM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Received 30 Likes on 14 Posts

^Psssh. Whatever!!!

Javier
Old 06-18-08, 08:36 PM
carchitect
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've used the Tomioka Racing super slope. My car has a 1" drop (1/2" front lower arm spacer+1/2" sport suspension). I'm also using a Tom's racing front lip. These ramps are very light but very strong. I highly recommend using them.

I bought them from Option's auto solon

On a rear wheel drive vehicle with an Auto transmission, you need to use the parking brake with as the brake. If you use the normal brakes the front wheels will try to slide the ramps out from the front as the front brakes will prevent the wheels from turning.

Before I go any further, I'd like to emphasize that following the procedure below means that your doing this AT YOUR OWN RISK. I'm NOT at all responsible for any damage you could do to your vehicle by driving the vehicle past the ramps. If your unsure about this DON'T TRY IT!!

Make sure your vehicle doesn't have any bent suspension component like it went up a curb and now has 25 deg of negative camber and 5" of positive toe. If you do, you have bigger problems than trying to get the vehicle on ramps.

Make sure the parking brake is capable of holding the vehicle. If not, you can't use the ramps successfully.

This is the best way I've found to do this:-
1-Make sure you have someone outside the car to guide you as you drive your vehicle onto the ramps.
2-Make sure you have at least as much room up front as the lenght of the ramps.
3-Make sure the vehicle is not is snow mode or power mode. One makes the throttle too lazy and the other is very touchy.
4-Step on the brake with the RIGHT foot.
5-Take the shifter out of park and into gear.
6-Press the parking brake with your left foot and then press it again to release the ratchet lock BUT DON'T RELEASE IT ALL THE WAY.
7-Now you have control of your vehicle with your rear brakes. The front wheels can free wheel to allow the vehicle to drive onto the ramps.
8-Very lightly press onto the rear gas pedal and start releasing the parking brake until your vehicle starts to proceed up the ramps.

Proceed with extreme caution. Take your time. If you're not sure on doing this on the first try, attempt to learn the footwork I've described ahead by simply performing it on an uphill incline. You would be less likely to have screwed anything up going this route and gain some confidence doing so before trying to drive the vehicle up some ramps.

-Joe
Old 06-18-08, 08:40 PM
istundra
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I've used Rino ramps to install the front lip. It is actually very helpful when getting to the bottom screws. Be sure to make sure your ramp is secure when driving onto them. I've read of many horror stories.