IS250: Manual Eject for Nav DVD

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-08, 02:18 PM
aexchange
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IS250: Manual Eject for Nav DVD

Hi there,

I purchased the Gen 5 7.1 Navigation DVD disc to update the maps on my 2006 IS250. Perhaps in error, I decided to make a backup of the disc to make sure I had my original to fall back on.

After inserting the copied disc, I got the standard messages of waiting for the disc to load and then my screen started flickering and now I can't get to the Menu prompt to eject the DVD. I've tried holding down the upper and lower right hand side of the touch screen to force an eject, but so far I haven't had any luck.

Does anyone have any recommendations? I feel a bit foolish, so was hoping there was another way I could get the disc to eject before I take it to the dealership for them to fix.
Old 06-08-08, 02:22 PM
istundra
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

wow. does it say something on the screen. "Please contact your dealer"?

i've heard there is a way to manually eject it without taking the whole unit apart....

As for me, when this happened, I removed the HU, then remove the mapdisc drive, from there, I manually removed the map disc by hand.

Don't worry too much, if all else fails, you can disassemble the mapdisc drive and manually remove the mapdisc by hand.
Old 06-08-08, 02:50 PM
aexchange
Driver School Candidate

Sorry for the stupid question, but are there instructions with regards to removing the head unit?
Old 06-08-08, 03:11 PM
istundra
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Not an exact instructions.. but if you follow the DIY NavHack thread, it will show you how to remove the head unit.

Once the head unit is removed, you will need to remove the one of the side brackets.

After the side bracket is removed, you will see that the Head Unit seperates into three parts. 1. Nav Screen, 2. Map Disc Drive, and 3. CD/DVD Changer.

You will then remove the Changer, followed by the Map Disc Drive.

When the MapDisc drive is out, you will then need to remove the casing of this unit, thus exposing the mapdisc, and then using your fingers to remove the bad disc.

At this same time, you will need to insert the good mapdisc; otherwise once re-assembled. your car will look for a mapdisc when one is not present.
Old 05-16-10, 06:56 PM
miketim
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by aexchange
Hi there,

I purchased the Gen 5 7.1 Navigation DVD disc to update the maps on my 2006 IS250. Perhaps in error, I decided to make a backup of the disc to make sure I had my original to fall back on.

After inserting the copied disc, I got the standard messages of waiting for the disc to load and then my screen started flickering and now I can't get to the Menu prompt to eject the DVD. I've tried holding down the upper and lower right hand side of the touch screen to force an eject, but so far I haven't had any luck.

Does anyone have any recommendations? I feel a bit foolish, so was hoping there was another way I could get the disc to eject before I take it to the dealership for them to fix.
I hope my reply is not too late for you... I just had the same 'problem'. Accidentally inserted wrong dvd into the dvd slot. On one of the forums I found a suggestion to use 'hidden' buttons on the screen.

When you get to that 'eject dvd' screen, touch top left corner, then bottom left corner, then top left again. It worked for me. If it does not work, try randomly touching obvious places on the screen, like corners, while holding the 'dvd eject' button.

I know it souns silly, but it worked for me.
Old 05-16-10, 07:00 PM
Mv350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thats a good soultion but the thread is 2 yrs old
Old 08-11-10, 08:02 PM
azmojo
Instructor

Received 115 Likes on 86 Posts

Any suggestions on how to get to the Eject DVD screen?

On my 08 IS350, I put the wrong disc in too and it's in a perpetual state of going from a blank screen to a screen with black and dark gray vertical bars. I can hear the drive spin up to speed and then stop and the cycle starts all over. Can't seem to get to the "Eject DVD" screen to even try this suggestion.

Any other solutions than tearing it apart?
Old 08-11-10, 08:48 PM
SPNinjA
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by azmojo
Any suggestions on how to get to the Eject DVD screen?

On my 08 IS350, I put the wrong disc in too and it's in a perpetual state of going from a blank screen to a screen with black and dark gray vertical bars. I can hear the drive spin up to speed and then stop and the cycle starts all over. Can't seem to get to the "Eject DVD" screen to even try this suggestion.

Any other solutions than tearing it apart?
Did you try touching the screen in the following order.

1. top left corner
2. bottom left corner
3. top left corner.
4. bottom left corner.
Old 08-11-10, 10:40 PM
azmojo
Instructor

I did, but I'm unclear on what screen I should do this on. I can only access a few screens, like the climate control screen. Otherwise when in map-mode it's (what appears to be) rebooting repeatedly and very quickly.
Old 08-13-10, 12:29 AM
azmojo
Instructor

I never managed to find a software eject, so I was forced to tear into the console, remove the DVD drive, and physically remove the disc. It was nothing I was comfortable or wanted to do, and at times I felt ovewhelmed but I kept plugging away and I managed to do it successfully. Glad I did, I probably saved a fortune over having the dealer fix it. Total time: about 2h 15m, and it's my first time doing any of this.

A few notes that others may find useful if they need to do this:
1. The other DIY shows removing the vent bezel piece, but for me the whole assembly ended up coming out.
2. The reason why you remove the console piece (around the shifter) is to prevent any damage or scratching. You could leave it in place, but why take the chance?
3. Once the console piece is out, you can pull out the ash tray which makes putting the bolts in for the nav assembly MUCH easier.
4. When you have the nav assembly out, you must remove the bracket on the passenger's side. You can leave the driver side bracket on.
5. Opening the DVD player and getting inside is intimidating, but the key is to remove all screws that you see. 4 "case" screws, 2 screws holding on the front bracket, and then 2 tiny screws holding the lid on. You'll need to peel off the big felt piece and the two pieces of tape that help hold the top of the player to the bottom. You can re-use both the felt and the tape. When you do this, pay attention to how the spring in the back is connected, as it will probably come loose and you'll have to reconnect it (no big deal). You can do this all without disconnecting the "ribbon like" connector.
6. When I turned the car on, it had a loading message and after it got done loading it said "Performing Disc Check" and stayed like that for a long time. I finally gave up. The screen had a DVD eject button, which I pressed and then re-inserted the DVD and it came up fine.

Lesson learned: Never use anything but genuine Lexus discs in your car. Don't even make or use a back-up copy. Use the original. The 2+ hours required to retrieve a bad disc are easily worth the cost of a known-good disc.
Old 08-13-10, 12:56 AM
mybablex
Rookie

i know it sounds stupid....can i eject the map disc from a 2009 IS then use that disc to update my 2007 IS?
Old 08-13-10, 01:00 AM
azmojo
Instructor

Originally Posted by mybablex
i know it sounds stupid....can i eject the map disc from a 2009 IS then use that disc to update my 2007 IS?
The disc must be present during operation. So you could definitely "borrow" the disc, but you could only use it in one car at a time.
Old 08-13-10, 08:56 AM
brociouz
Uber 1337 Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by mybablex
Originally Posted by azmojo
The disc must be present during operation. So you could definitely "borrow" the disc, but you could only use it in one car at a time.
Correct, it doesn't download the maps to your car or anything like that, you need the disc in the drive. However, I think if you put a 2009 disc into a 2007, it might upgrade the firmware (removing that "I agree" button, among other minor changes), even after putting the old disc back in. Maybe someone else can confirm.
Old 09-13-10, 03:54 PM
olmo
Driver School Candidate

Default An easier way to get out a stuck map DVD

Hi guys,

after being in the situation of having a nav dvd stuck in the drive of my IS250 dvd slot let me share my experiences to solve the problem.

1) If the faulty disc is in the slot and the display shows "Please contact lexus dealer" just press the upper left and upper right corner on the display and the DVD will automatically be ejected.

2) If the faulty disc is in the slot and the headunit is always resetting (i.e. the "contact lexus dealer" screen never appears), then there is another way to get out the disc WITHOUT disassembling the entire DVD drive.
All you have to do is to electrically reset the DVD player of the navigation system.
Azmojo already did a great job by describing how to get the back of the nav assembly (step 1-4). So please follow his instructions but don't take the player apart. Just unplug all connectors of the DVD player and plug those in again. Then turn on the ignition and the nav firmware tries to read the map DVD. During this process eject the DVD by pressing the top left and top right corner of the nav screen.
WARNING: THIS METHOD ERASES ALL OF YOUR BOOKMARKED PLACES IN THE NAV MODULE.

This trick has saved me an intimidating visit at the lexus dealer and a few bucks. Hope it also helps you!
Old 09-13-10, 07:12 PM
azmojo
Instructor

For clarification... you say to disconnect everything and then plug it back in. Is that to clear some kind of memory perhaps so that the system goes through an extended boot-up sequence which allows you time to eject the disc?

If this is the case, maybe an alternative is to disconnect the car battery for a minute?

Quick Reply: IS250: Manual Eject for Nav DVD