Would you trade 350 for g37s?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-08, 04:20 PM
RyGarg
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Letsrunem
In a heartbeat

The g37 may be a little slower than the 350.... .1 or .2 seconds slower if that, but it handles way better and is more of a sports car. You must realize that this switch would be from a luxury sports sedan to a sport coupe.

But if you are ok with that, then it would be a good move
I think the 6-speed G37 is only .1 or .2 slower in the 1/4 mile, but the 5-speed auto is a good bit slower. At least that's what ive seen when racing my friends G37 and thats what they all say on the G37 forums...
Old 05-22-08, 04:27 PM
Lucien911
Driver School Candidate

Hellllll no I wouldn't trade an IS 350 for G37. I wouldn't even trade it for a G47. The G-series is the Honda Civic of sports coupes. I don't like 'em, they're everybody's "me too" car, and the interior is ugly.

Not to mention you'd be in the shop a lot more...
Old 05-22-08, 04:41 PM
sirCharles
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Lucien911
Hellllll no I wouldn't trade an IS 350 for G37. I wouldn't even trade it for a G47. The G-series is the Honda Civic of sports coupes. I don't like 'em, they're everybody's "me too" car, and the interior is ugly.

Amen!

I keep my 350 any day over the G37. Other than the coupe look that is not my look. From a brand standpoint, my VIP Lexus gives me considerable more peace of mind. Elegance and Inspiration. Plenty ponies!, no need to tit-for-tat!

And the G Infiniti is obviously an Powerful Luxury brand. If you like it, i can see it.

But that just how much I feel for my Lexus IS 350 (2GR-FSE)
Old 05-22-08, 07:21 PM
iStyle
Driver

No.

G37s are way too common around here. Even after three years, I rarely see another IS350. And I think the G lost some of its "wow" factor with the redesign, at least in terms of exterior styling.
Old 05-22-08, 09:00 PM
Letsrunem
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Lucien911

Seriously, i love Lexus' interior. No question about that. But the interior for all Infiniti's are beautiful.

If anything, the only thing the G really improved on when they changed models was the interior. We all know that G 35 looks better than the 37 but interior is no match. I dont think its fair to say that the interior is ugly
Old 05-22-08, 11:07 PM
Magellan
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Well, for what it’s worth, there are some features the G37 has that the IS does not (yet) have. They include:

• A 9.3GB hard disk instead of a CD changer that can store over 300 CD’s
• The above “music box” as Infiniti calls it, reads out all album and track/song names on the nav display screen. You can also skip to any track or album via the touch screen.
• With XM radio (free for 3 months but then optional) you can get real time traffic alert data integrated into the highway graphics as well as special alerts for traffic congestion, accidents, etc., and detour suggestions
• Bar graphs showing MPG for the last ten fill-ups
• An improved voice recognition system that is fast and accurate, thus virtually eliminating the need to nav hack. All street names are voiced.
• The backup camera has extra graphics that change color based on how close you are to an obstacle (e.g., red when you are about to hit something).
• Special screen that show current GPS satellite position and the car’s latitude, longitude and height above sea level (old navigators like me like that).
• Power telescoping steering column, both in-out and up-down. The instrument cluster moves with the up-down settings.
• Power memory system for seat, outside mirror and steering column change (not available in most states on IS’s)
• Analog clock (an Infiniti tradition)
• VVEL (Variable Valve Event and Lift) engine, currently the only Infiniti that has it.
• Four wheel active steer package (optional)

Now these things may not be a big deal to some of you, but I do use most of them in my G37.
Old 05-23-08, 05:16 AM
htn
Driver School Candidate

Infiniti has too high of a depreciation compare to Lexus. Came from 06 M45 and wish I purchased a Lexus from the begining.
If this is not a factor, go and get it.
Old 05-23-08, 08:43 AM
NovaIS350
Lexus Test Driver

No way, I am pretty biased. I test drove the G37 and 335i. G37 looks and feels too big to be a coupe with 330hp (350 feels more agile and responsive), 335 feels similar power wise... but is stiffer and a little more competent in the suspension dept. Both the 335 and G37 have interiors that rub me the wrong way.
Old 05-23-08, 08:44 AM
NovaIS350
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Magellan
Well, for what it’s worth, there are some features the G37 has that the IS does not (yet) have. They include:

• The above “music box” as Infiniti calls it, reads out all album and track/song names on the nav display screen. You can also skip to any track or album via the touch screen.
• With XM radio (free for 3 months but then optional) you can get real time traffic alert data integrated into the highway graphics as well as special alerts for traffic congestion, accidents, etc., and detour suggestions
• An improved voice recognition system that is fast and accurate, thus virtually eliminating the need to nav hack. All street names are voiced.
• The backup camera has extra graphics that change color based on how close you are to an obstacle (e.g., red when you are about to hit something).
• Special screen that show current GPS satellite position and the car’s latitude, longitude and height above sea level (old navigators like me like that).

Now these things may not be a big deal to some of you, but I do use most of them in my G37.

• Power telescoping steering column, both in-out and up-down. The instrument cluster moves with the up-down settings.
• Power memory system for seat, outside mirror and steering column change (not available in most states on IS’s)

I have both features on my IS. Minus the moving instrument cluster.

• VVEL (Variable Valve Event and Lift) engine, currently the only Infiniti that has it.

VVT-I ?
Digital Clock<-- a Toyota Tradition.
Dual Injection, 277lbs torgue with .2 less liters of displacement, Better gas mileage, 2 more doors (lol).

Sorry for the double post**

Last edited by NovaIS350; 05-23-08 at 08:49 AM.
Old 05-23-08, 09:10 AM
LexFather

The instrument cluster is really a Nissan cost saving technique and a feature only for this brand. Some people like that the cluster moves with the steering wheel, some don't. I wouldn't say that the G35 has this and the IS does not, since no one else uses this method.

Magellan does have a good list of objective points though. Nissan really stepped up the tech in this car.
Old 05-26-08, 01:12 AM
06Lex350
Driver

Originally Posted by Magellan

Wow, defensive much?
Old 05-26-08, 07:20 AM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 06Lex350
Wow, defensive much?
Seems more like "objective" than "defensive".
Old 05-26-08, 09:59 AM
06Lex350
Driver

Originally Posted by dseag2
LOL - thanks for making my point again.
Old 05-26-08, 11:00 PM
Magellan
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by dseag2
Yes, I was trying to be as objective as possible. And as I said before, it’s a matter of chemistry in deciding which car is better for any prospective buyer.

Frankly, I really do not expect much support for a G37 on an IS forum, nor does it matter to me. But as an owner of both, I thought the post would be interesting to those here who may not be privy to some G37 details, with some information a bit hard to come by unless one has read the owner's manual and actually used them.

I certainly expect most of the items on my list to appear on future IS’s, perhaps as early as next year. That would be a good thing. Then I can talk my wife into our getting a ’09 or '10 IS250.
Old 05-27-08, 03:33 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 06Lex350
LOL - thanks for making my point again.
Not sure what your point is, but after owning a '99 SC300, '01 GS300, '03 GS300, '03 SC430 and (until last year) an '06 SC430, I feel relatively qualified to talk about the differences in Lexuses and Infinitis.

I came really close to buying an '06 IS350, but there were virtually none available with the Mark Levinson system. The IS is a great car, but the Infiniti has more advanced technology... plain and simple.

Quick Reply: Would you trade 350 for g37s?