78.44%
Voters: 218. You may not vote on this poll

Would you trade 350 for g37s?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-08, 10:53 AM
blk_is300
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wouldn't trade my IS350 for a G37. I've driven a loaner 2G G35 sedan when I took my brother's 1G G35 sedan for service. The new G feels cheap inside and I really hate the purple instrument cluster. Infiniti's build quality and interior materials are far from Lexus, personally I just wouldn't buy another Infiniti. We've had the 1G G35 sedan for 5 years and it has had problems with suspension, brakes, and battery since the car was almost brand new, the dealer just could not fix the problems the first time, it went back to the dealer at least 5 times for suspension squeak. Infiniti's claims they have the best customer service but IMO they're not any better than Toyota other than offering a loaner. Infinit is for people who want more gadgets for less money.
Old 05-21-08, 11:06 AM
MLevinson
Pole Position

Originally Posted by blk_is300
I wouldn't trade my IS350 for a G37. I've driven a loaner 2G G35 sedan when I took my brother's 1G G35 sedan for service. The new G feels cheap inside and I really hate the purple instrument cluster. Infiniti's build quality and interior materials are far from Lexus, personally I just wouldn't buy another Infiniti. We've had the 1G G35 sedan for 5 years and it has had problems with suspension, brakes, and battery since the car was almost brand new, the dealer just could not fix the problems the first time, it went back to the dealer at least 5 times for suspension squeak. Infiniti's claims they have the best customer service but IMO they're not any better than Toyota other than offering a loaner. Infinit is for people who want more gadgets for less money.
+1. I lemon-law’d my 05 G it was so bad - same issue you had and more right from day one.

The IS350 is in a class above the 2G G35/7 IMO - and if people think the IS350 is too "soft" there are easy mods to rectify this at minimal cost.
Old 05-21-08, 11:47 AM
Magellan
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I get a lot of complements on my G37, and I certainly don’t mind seeing others on the road. I just give them thumbs up as we pass each other.

As previously mentioned, if an owner really wanted to be unique I guess he/she should save up for an Aston Martin, Lamborghini, or something like that. Modifying the appearance of your IS extensively may have some negative results.
Old 05-21-08, 04:06 PM
RyGarg
Driver School Candidate

My best friend has the G37S 5-speed auto and i have the IS350 w/o sport pkg. We mess around on the road all of the time and sometimes swap cars. Without question, the G37S handles far better than my IS. In his car, there is practically no body roll, while mine feels like a fat ***. Since i have an '06 and can't turn off the traction controll, he destroys me around sharp corners and he's not even a great driver. But when we drag race, it's an entirely different story. From a stop, I completely rape him. By 100mph, I have at least 4 car lengths on him. The 5-speed auto tranny turns that car into a dog. But from a 60mph roll, i just barely pull on him. The car is much faster up top than out of the hole. Looks are so subjective so i would say that if it were just down to the perfomance aspect, the IS350 is the best car in its stock class for drag racing (I says stock because i know of a 335Ci with intake, full exhaust, and chipped that ran an 11.9 1/4 mile.) But if you care more about handling, the G37S is better in that department than many of people here are saying. BTW, i saw someone in another thread say that they got the F-Sport springs/shocks/sways and the setup still didn't feel as agressive as a G35 coupe. In one sense, that shows how the G's have a pretty good suspension setup. On the other hand, its kind of depressing that my friends car will still handle better than mine even after i dump alot of $$ into F-sport parts. If only i didn't give a crap about the warranty...
Old 05-21-08, 04:08 PM
blk_is300
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Magellan
I get a lot of complements on my G37, and I certainly don’t mind seeing others on the road. I just give them thumbs up as we pass each other.

As previously mentioned, if an owner really wanted to be unique I guess he/she should save up for an Aston Martin, Lamborghini, or something like that. Modifying the appearance of your IS extensively may have some negative results.
I don't think anyone in California bought an IS for being unique since there are so many around here. If you go to San Gabriel valley area, you'll see at least 4 or 5 of them in a shopping center. I live in Palos Verdes where you see Aston Martins, Ferarris, Porsches... almost EVERYDAY, Lexus's are like the most common cars here, most families in our area own a Mercedes, BMW, or Lexus. I bought an IS because I love its design, praticality, quality, technology, reliability, most importantly, it's a car that I can afford (that's why I didn't get a Carrera GT instead...LOL). I customize it because I want to make it drive and look better, did anyone get a negative result modding their car??

I almost bought an BMW E92 335i coupe before I bought my IS350, but I've owned 2 BMWs in the past (E36 M3, E38 740i). They were both a lot of fun to drive but what changed my mind was BMW's reliability issue. I had wonderful experiences with my old IS300, it never had any problems and Lexus has served me well. Both BMW's and Infiniti's service were crap, they rarely get the problems fixed the first time while ripping you off as soon as the warranty expires, at least this is how I feel. My brother's Infiniti worth about the same as an Accord of the same year now, and it has less than 40k miles in 5 years. IMO Infiniti redesign their cars every 4 years because their designs don't last as long as Mercedes, BMW, Audi, and Lexus. I still love the look of my 2000 Audi S4 (almost stock looking) as much as the first day it came out, but already very tired of looking at my bro's G35 (he goes to UC Berkeley so I don't even see his car that much). To me the new G isn't that much different from the old one anyway.

I would've gotten an IS350 in the first place if I were you, if you did you'll probably ended up in a much better 335i, A5, or CLK as your second car. Please accept my apologies if my post sounds offensive to you since you're an Infiniti owner, it's just my personal opinion which you should probably ignore.

Last edited by blk_is300; 05-21-08 at 04:33 PM.
Old 05-21-08, 10:14 PM
06Lex350
Driver

Originally Posted by RyGarg
My best friend has the G37S 5-speed auto and i have the IS350 w/o sport pkg. We mess around on the road all of the time and sometimes swap cars. Without question, the G37S handles far better than my IS. In his car, there is practically no body roll, while mine feels like a fat ***. Since i have an '06 and can't turn off the traction controll, he destroys me around sharp corners and he's not even a great driver. But when we drag race, it's an entirely different story. From a stop, I completely rape him. By 100mph, I have at least 4 car lengths on him. The 5-speed auto tranny turns that car into a dog. But from a 60mph roll, i just barely pull on him. The car is much faster up top than out of the hole. Looks are so subjective so i would say that if it were just down to the perfomance aspect, the IS350 is the best car in its stock class for drag racing (I says stock because i know of a 335Ci with intake, full exhaust, and chipped that ran an 11.9 1/4 mile.) But if you care more about handling, the G37S is better in that department than many of people here are saying. BTW, i saw someone in another thread say that they got the F-Sport springs/shocks/sways and the setup still didn't feel as agressive as a G35 coupe. In one sense, that shows how the G's have a pretty good suspension setup. On the other hand, its kind of depressing that my friends car will still handle better than mine even after i dump alot of $$ into F-sport parts. If only i didn't give a crap about the warranty...
The way I look at it, if you're primarily buying a car for handling you don't buy a Lexus. I think the selling points for Lexus are the luxury, the reliability and the quality. That and the sweet engine are the strong points of the IS350.
Old 05-21-08, 10:20 PM
350PsDMeuP
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

no, g37 is too too too similar to the nissan altima coupe, i wouldnt spend that cash on a car that people may see and think its an altima. just my 2 cents, keep your 350 its a lot more classier and speaks
Old 05-21-08, 10:58 PM
GB Packfan
Driver

Things I considered when I bought my car... power, reliability, interior/exterior looks and luxury. IMO IS350 has an edge over G37, of what I consider important, so.... no, I would not trade my car for the new G. I've seen few G37s in parking lots and on the freeways, it does nothing for me. G35 coupes are better looking (and some are hot!) in my opinion.

Far as handling, if it was on top of my list I would've gotten a 335i(Although...I dont know how extensive BMW's are having fuel pump issues, but I know its a problem they are having with 335i. My friend's brother had to replace it twice in the last eight months, with bunch of hassle from the dealer from what I heard). I knew from the beginning the car was little soft, so I've installed coilovers and I am perfectly happy with the handling of my car.

G37s are getting attention because they are newer to the market, fewer, and the curiosity is there because of it. My car has been awesome, with no problems. I've spent way too much money to make it mine and there is no way I would trade it for something less. Another thing... Lexus Service, they are second to none (I mean who woud give free brake pad replacements because of people complaining brake dust on their wheels).
Old 05-21-08, 11:09 PM
GB Packfan
Driver

Originally Posted by RyGarg
.......Since i have an '06 and can't turn off the traction controll, he destroys me around sharp corners and he's not even a great driver. ...

Need to learn the dance. Takes three seconds to turn it off.
Old 05-22-08, 07:14 AM
Magellan
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by blk_is300
I would've gotten an IS350 in the first place if I were you, if you did you'll probably ended up in a much better 335i, A5, or CLK as your second car. Please accept my apologies if my post sounds offensive to you since you're an Infiniti owner, it's just my personal opinion which you should probably ignore.
It’s OK. I take no offense. I came quite close to buying an IS350, but it ended up sort of like choosing a spouse: It’s a matter of chemistry. I believe prospective buyers should drive both cars and make a decision from there. Besides, my wife thought it was silly to have two IS’s in our garage.
Old 05-22-08, 08:04 AM
RyGarg
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by GB Packfan
Need to learn the dance. Takes three seconds to turn it off.
You're awesome. I didn't think it was possible. Just found out how on a search. Time to smell some burnt rubber. Thanks!
Old 05-22-08, 08:36 AM
CrazyMPG
Phat Monkey

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Magellan
Besides, my wife thought it was silly to have two IS’s in our garage.
haha nothing wrong with Two IS's in the garage...
Old 05-22-08, 09:50 AM
Letsrunem
Driver School Candidate

In a heartbeat

The g37 may be a little slower than the 350.... .1 or .2 seconds slower if that, but it handles way better and is more of a sports car. You must realize that this switch would be from a luxury sports sedan to a sport coupe.

But if you are ok with that, then it would be a good move
Old 05-22-08, 10:18 AM
Magellan
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by CrazyMPG
haha nothing wrong with Two IS's in the garage...
Well, when you’re married you’ve got to consider this sort of thing. You see, I pressed her to get the IS250. She was driving an old Mercury Sable at the time. When we got the IS she was thrilled. She showed if off to all her friends; in fact, she’s still doing it (she has anyone who drives with her the first time give the “I’m hungry” voice command.). I’m not sure, but perhaps she thinks I would be honing in on her boasting rights.
Old 05-22-08, 01:25 PM
Janizary
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

I like the G37 coupe overall. If they bump the sedan to the VQ37 in the future, I may look that way for my next car. I'll keep my IS350 for now, however.

Quick Reply: Would you trade 350 for g37s?