IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models
View Poll Results: Should i stay with the 350, lease the mini, or lease another car?
IS350 ftw!
69.23%
Give the Mini Cooper a chance..
17.58%
Lease another car, Specify.
13.19%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Because of gas..I'm planning on a Mini

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-08, 12:41 PM
tomede
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

4 bucks a gallon, wow This weekend the prices went up to 8.22 bucks a gallon. I filled up my car and lost 114 bucks, but it's still worth the money to drive a Lexus, i say stick with your IS350
Old 05-12-08, 01:23 PM
cliffud
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This thread got me thinking so I put together a spread sheet to show me what kind of mpg a new car would have to get in order for me to see the car as "free".

Now of course there are other costs and measures used when buying a car other than fuel efficiency but if I were to purchase a car entirely based on fuel consumption, coupled with the fact that I do approximately 30-36k miles a year, if I could find a car that got 36mpg or better for around $200 a month, it would equate to almost a free car. I'd probably trade in my GS3 though.

My GS3 gets 21mpg so that's what I went off but for the purpose of this thread - I've changed the MPG numbers for a is350 and a mini cooper on the lower chart.

Old 05-12-08, 01:25 PM
crzyis
Driver

Originally Posted by tomede
4 bucks a gallon, wow This weekend the prices went up to 8.22 bucks a gallon. I filled up my car and lost 114 bucks, but it's still worth the money to drive a Lexus, i say stick with your IS350
im with you buddy, if you can't afford it don't buy it!
Old 05-12-08, 02:12 PM
2slow
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

WOW nice chart! I will probably stick with the 350 and maybe get another car in like another couple years when new hybrids come out.

Thanks guys
Old 05-12-08, 02:16 PM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 2slow
WOW nice chart! I will probably stick with the 350 and maybe get another car in like another couple years when new hybrids come out.

Thanks guys
I'll tell you what, I will make an even trade for your 350 (LOL). My AWD does pretty good on gas considering 4 drivetrains. You will be happy you kept your vehicle and would miss is too much if you bought a Mini.
Old 05-12-08, 02:20 PM
2slow
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian231
I'll tell you what, I will make an even trade for your 350 (LOL). My AWD does pretty good on gas considering 4 drivetrains. You will be happy you kept your vehicle and would miss is too much if you bought a Mini.
LOL! It's not like i'm trading it in. I'll still have it to drive on special occasions. Maybe when i supercharge my 350 i'll get another car.
Old 05-12-08, 02:31 PM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

LOL! It's not like i'm trading it in. I'll still have it to drive on special occasions. Maybe when i supercharge my 350 i'll get another car.
Glad to see you are keeping it. Your car is too nice and rare to part with. My point to all of this is, Chili’s makes good chicken quesadillas!!!
Old 05-12-08, 02:33 PM
Little E
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by cliffud
This thread got me thinking so I put together a spread sheet to show me what kind of mpg a new car would have to get in order for me to see the car as "free".

Now of course there are other costs and measures used when buying a car other than fuel efficiency but if I were to purchase a car entirely based on fuel consumption, coupled with the fact that I do approximately 30-36k miles a year, if I could find a car that got 36mpg or better for around $200 a month, it would equate to almost a free car. I'd probably trade in my GS3 though.

My GS3 gets 21mpg so that's what I went off but for the purpose of this thread - I've changed the MPG numbers for a is350 and a mini cooper on the lower chart.

Nice Excel work!
Old 05-12-08, 02:34 PM
Little E
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Brian231
Glad to see you are keeping it. Your car is too nice and rare to part with. My point to all of this is, Chili’s makes good chicken quesadillas!!!
You're making me hungry.
Old 05-12-08, 02:57 PM
VikH
Lexus Champion

No offense, but if you are trying to save money why would you buy a second car????? You don't need a spreadsheet to tell you that. Just common sense.
Old 05-12-08, 03:08 PM
golfproatl
Pole Position

Seriously, just do a little quick math. So you (we) are spending what $15-$25dollars more each week on gas..right? That amounts to $780-$1,300 more per year. That's the bottom line.

So as far as your poll goes, hell no, I would not lease another car so that I could "save" money on gas. Makes no sense at all. Now if you like the car and simply just want to own one for fun and can afford to do so, then go for it.
Old 05-12-08, 03:16 PM
Drunkebuda
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hahahah i am in the same boat. I have a 250 but am filling up twice a week driving from work to school to home to school to work ughhhh now i am using the park and ride as much as i can to cut down on car use. Its not that bad... but dont get a second car just get a used civic or something along those line.
Old 05-12-08, 04:04 PM
ExTrEmE99
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I thinking buying another car just because of gas prices isnt that wise because im sure its only going to get worse, and there isnt much you can do to avoid it.

So Instead of a Mini, Get a motorcycle or scooter Thats what i want.

Car= long commutes
Scooter/motorcycle = local, just the throw back ride

Old 05-12-08, 04:43 PM
cliffud
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

little E - haha, thanks. i love excel.

i think the main thing to keep in mind is that yes, although gas prices are going up, the only way to justify getting another car or trading out (if your decision is purely based on fuel) is if you can LEAPFROG the cars that get MPG in the 20s and jump into the mid to higher 30s or better.

personally, i'm fine driving my car the way I do and who knows, I may just drive it into the ground. i was thinking a 400H or a 450H would be a cool car to pick up that i could justify in my head due to them being hybrids but the real world fuel economy numbers people were getting was like 23-25mpg for either vehicle.

on a side note, when people talk about picking up diesel engine vehicles and making wvo fuel for their diesels at a cost of 70 CENTS a gallon - my ears perk up real fast. in fact, I was bidding on a 1995 H1 diesel hummer on ebay and lost out by $1,600. it was going to be a show truck and proof that you can get a big truck, make your own fuel, and be happy with your fuel costs.

honestly- an h1 gets maybe 10mpg but at .70/gallon, you'd be able to get 5-6 times more fuel for the money when compared to current fuel prices of $3.80-$4.00 a gallon. that being the case, 5-6 gallons at 10mpg would show the H1 hummer getting 50-60 MPG when converted to gas measurements.

naturally there's a sunk cost of time/effort/money that goes into producing the fuel but if I can burn through 30k miles a year and only be out of pocket $2,100 bucks vs my $6,000 AND drive around in a fun oversized Tonka mobile.

ok, time to stop day dreaming and get back to work.
Old 05-12-08, 06:18 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by cliffud

Wow Cliff Nicely done and said! I agree with you and this is a good reference for everyone to see. Many times its costing you more to trade in your car and assume the loss of your car plus the extra deprecation of the new car and it goes down hill from there.

To the OP keep your car

Mike

Quick Reply: Because of gas..I'm planning on a Mini