IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Noise on center dash static or cracking

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-08, 08:28 AM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb427
I had a popping sound at times and just had the TSB done that Brian's mentions.
The insulating of center vents TSB kit.
Haven't had a problem yet.

Joe, Glad this worked out for you.

Originally Posted by RSMDR
Time for me to rant again about the lack of qualiity in the IS.

I, like most others, have had the TSIB's. For me it's been the New Dash Clips, Center Speaker, Center Stack etc.

I'm still experiencing noises that the dealer does hear but is unable to correct.

There are 3 main culprits that need to be addressed.

1: Secure the wiring harness that feeds the small light on the drivers & passenger side vent.

2. Remove the speedo horn and felt the area.

3. The most annoying is to deal with the crackling in the center stack. This is the tricky part is the fine balance between not enough foam and too much. An insulation material needs to be put between all the pieces of plastic that touch each other.

I've ordered automotive grade felt with PSA and will tackle the problems myself.

It's rather sad when a Hyundai Sonnata has a quieter dash area than a Lexus...

Lexus, The New Pursuit of Mediocrity!......
I was going to remove the dash myself and insulate if there were no TSIB. Utilizing the auto grade felt is a wise choice other than spray foam which most dealers use. I hope this fixes your issue. I would still rather have some interior noises than sensor problems etc. I guess with the 2gen, small bugs are being hammered out by Lexus. It is possible the dealer that performed your TSIB did not do it to bulletin spec?
Old 05-23-08, 08:58 AM
RSMDR
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Dealer I go to in SoCal is quite good. At this point, a Master Tech has been assigned to my car.

In reality, my hearing is probably much more acute at hearing subtle sounds since I don't have an air rachet in my face all day.

I agree that it's not as bad as having real mechanical issues BUT when I bought a Lexus, I have minumum expectations regarding hearing noises.
My 2005 Subaru Outback LL Bean that I traded for the IS sounded like a Bentley when it came to interior noises.
Old 05-23-08, 09:56 AM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by RSMDR
The Dealer I go to in SoCal is quite good. At this point, a Master Tech has been assigned to my car.

In reality, my hearing is probably much more acute at hearing subtle sounds since I don't have an air rachet in my face all day.

I agree that it's not as bad as having real mechanical issues BUT when I bought a Lexus, I have minumum expectations regarding hearing noises.
My 2005 Subaru Outback LL Bean that I traded for the IS sounded like a Bentley when it came to interior noises.
No worries, you are not going crazy or hearing things. The 2gen has an issue that warrented the TSIB. It is rather irritating to hear this cracking/popping. Temperature changes usually produce this as well. Maybe have the dealer keep your car overnight and leave it outside. They can test drive it in the cooler morning air. I think they did not insulate or accurately insulate your guage cluster housing from what you are expereincing after your TSIB.
Old 05-23-08, 10:19 AM
RSMDR
Driver School Candidate

I'm on my 7th time (loosing count) that the dealer had the car. Each time I'm in a loaner for 4 -5 days at a time. It's ridiculous....Oh I forgot to mention the creaking drivers side visor...been replaced 3 times and a 4th is on order...INSANE!
Old 05-23-08, 11:37 AM
Nuster
Driver

Originally Posted by Brian231
No worries, you are not going crazy or hearing things. The 2gen has an issue that warrented the TSIB. It is rather irritating to hear this cracking/popping. Temperature changes usually produce this as well. Maybe have the dealer keep your car overnight and leave it outside. They can test drive it in the cooler morning air. I think they did not insulate or accurately insulate your guage cluster housing from what you are expereincing after your TSIB.
Can you be more specific which TSIB you talking about? Is it the winshield tsib? I'm getting used to the pop sound in my dashboard by now. It's usually happen during a temp changes. According to what you're saying, there is a TSIB for fixing it?

On another note, I noticed that other people have the same cracking/drilling sound on the speedo dail. Mine started to show up around 25k. Can that be fixed for "free"? It's not a big deal to me, but if it's can be fixed under warranty. I don't see why not.

Thanks!
Old 05-23-08, 11:53 AM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Nuster
Can you be more specific which TSIB you talking about? Is it the winshield tsib? I'm getting used to the pop sound in my dashboard by now. It's usually happen during a temp changes. According to what you're saying, there is a TSIB for fixing it?

On another note, I noticed that other people have the same cracking/drilling sound on the speedo dail. Mine started to show up around 25k. Can that be fixed for "free"? It's not a big deal to me, but if it's can be fixed under warranty. I don't see why not.

Thanks!
No probs,

The below was my 4 TSIB's I had done that were quite needed. If you don't have the seat squeak or i-pod jack static, you only need the main TSIB that should rectify all dash issues including the cluster popping.

Members,

I recently took my vehicle in for the below TSIB's and wanted to say I am happy with the work. My dash use to crackle and pop in the morning worse than a bowl of "Rice Crispy's!!" My service adviser at Lexus or Orland (Illinois) told me he had all these done on his wife's car and she was happy. As we all know, sometimes it is risky taking apart the dash with the potential to receive more rattles down the road. I doubt this is the case. I have not heard one rattle from picking up the car yesterday till this mornings frozen commute. They have a special kit which insulates the HVAC venst, analogue gauge cluster, and the back of the windshield. I was also told that a particular clip has to be removed completely as it is functionless and promotes rattling. The brake TSIB did seem to yeild a little less (marginal) braking and less grabbiness as I anticipated, but I am letting the pads seat properly. My dealer also resurfaced the rotors free of charge to acommodate the new pads. My brake dust was a big issue for me especially with Chicago stop and go traffic. I also had the seat squeak fixed on both sides and the In-Line noise filter. The dealer had my car for a week, and that was fine by me. Having the ES350 for a week was quite awesome. I felt like I got into a Civic after having that big nice car. I did miss my handling though. When all is said and done, I wanted to express my satisfaction with the TSIB's and dispel any worries you all might have.

Respectfully,

Brian (Chicago)

1) Massive Brake Dust on front (due to high friction brake pads) TSIB#
BR002-006
Parts: 473301- F DCS BRK Pad
04465-30400 Pad Kit, Disc Brake

2)-Rattle in center of dash, right behind center channel speaker
(popping
noise)
- Rattle on passengers side of dash, right under inspection sticker
Rattles: Performed TSIB #NV003-06. NV50148 06IS250 and IS350
Parts: 08231-00801 Noise Kit
08231-00810 Wind Noise Kit
Labor: Applied TSIB NV003-06 NV5014 A 2.20. Removed instrument panel
and
insulated panel clips, HVAC ducts, and defroster nozzle.

3) Whining noise with IPOD connected to 12V port and vehicle driving:
TSIB AU001-07 (basically a in-line noisefilter)

4) Front driver seat squeek below lower cushion:
TSIBNV001-06
Old 09-08-10, 05:17 AM
UpSideDown
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My car (09 250) start to have this strange noise too from inside the speedo area. It only happens in a sec or 2 when I start the car. The noise is hard to explain...It's not a crack noise... It almost sounds like I have a little autobot living in the dash and starts to transform when I start the car... Sometimes it sounds once and sometimes twise directly after the first one. The noise is not quiet and not too loud either. Most of the time I can clearly hear it comes from behind the speedometer area but sometimes it start from there and goes to behind nav screen area... It's really annoing!
Old 09-08-10, 06:52 AM
BinaryJay

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by ES3
"The hood over the speedo. Feel underneath, you will feel 2 screws. On my car, if I put my thumb on the right side screw, and forefinger on the top and squeeze, I hear the crackle."

Anyone else's car make this noise in this scenario??
For what it's worth my 3GS also creaks in the same place, the inner part of the gauge cluster hood (black plastic). When I press on it in various places.

The good news is that these things are really easy to remove, you can just pull it out there are 5 clips (at least on 3GS) without removing the steering wheel. I haven't bothered yet as it's not that bad and I rarely hear it while actually driving but I may pull it out and felt the edges and put a dab of silicone grease on the clips to try to quiet it someday.
Old 09-08-10, 01:36 PM
Synetix250
Driver

Question

Originally Posted by Brian231
We should all see if the OP has the Levinson. If it is the standard Pioneer, there is now center channel speaker to make noise. Chances are it is the plastic clips located right behind the center grill. The TSIB utilizes a "Noise Kit" which employs felt to alleviate this cracking sound. It nearly drove me mad until I had the dealer fix this. Now, my car has been silent ever since (January 08). I would advise that it is a popping type noise and the dealer should perform this. I did not care that my dash was removed.
i have the standard stereo, but i have noticed a rattling/cracking sound coming from the grill on the center speaker on top of the dash right below the windshield. i think my clips are just loose or something..does anyone know how to remedy this without taking it into the dealer??

i also have a mild cracking noise coming from the center of the dash near the heating vents too, but it seems to only happen with temperature changes like others have said. mainly turning the heat on after its been out in the cold..
Old 09-08-10, 01:52 PM
shadowman
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I heard the loud cracking sound twice... but I guessed it was because the change in temperature causing the plastic pieces to expand/shrink. I was driving on a warm day from my garage which kept my dash cool. So I thought it was normal... law of physics at play.

If it starts to happen more frequently, I may bring it in to the dealer and point them to this thread.