Condensation in Headlight unit?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-08, 09:01 AM
m_shockers
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Condensation in Headlight unit?

Hi guys,

My driver's side headlight unit is having condensation. It used to be just after i wash the car then the condensation happens. And after a few hours it will evaporate out. Nevertheless, i brought the car to the dealership to fix it. They found out that one of the seal was broken and so they replace the entire headlight unit under the warranty. However, just 2 days after that, the condensation occurs again. This time, i had not even wash the car and there wasn't any rain. Furthermore, it gets worst, because the new seal totally shut the headlight unit and the water could not evaporate out. Do any of you guys come across this problem before? And any advice would be really appreciated. Thanks
Old 05-02-08, 09:02 AM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by m_shockers
Hi guys,

My driver's side headlight unit is having condensation. It used to be just after i wash the car then the condensation happens. And after a few hours it will evaporate out. Nevertheless, i brought the car to the dealership to fix it. They found out that one of the seal was broken and so they replace the entire headlight unit under the warranty. However, just 2 days after that, the condensation occurs again. This time, i had not even wash the car and there wasn't any rain. Furthermore, it gets worst, because the new seal totally shut the headlight unit and the water could not evaporate out. Do any of you guys come across this problem before? And any advice would be really appreciated. Thanks
Go back to the dealer for repair. I have a good question, did you mod the dust cover for aftermarket HID conversion?
Old 05-02-08, 09:10 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Can you take some pics and post them? Sounds weird that you would have this happen again but anything is possible. Like Brian said its something to take back to the dealer and question them how this happened again?? maybe something else is causing it and they need to keep your car for a few days to determine or rule out all possibilities. Im sure they will get it taken care of and its covered under the warranty unless you altered it in anyway.
Old 05-02-08, 07:34 PM
hihi410
Lead Lap

You don't necessary need rain or car wash to have condensation. A change of weather will cause that as well.

However, I can't think of anything as to why you have condensation. As someone mention before, it could be your HID dust cover since the head light housing was changed.

I would check the dust cover, your bulb fitting and any other spots from inside the engine bay. Make sure everything is on there right and tight.
Old 05-02-08, 08:08 PM
m_shockers
Driver

Yeah i know its weird. Thanks for your advices. I'm gonna bring it down to the dealer again and hopefully they can fix it right this time around.
Old 05-02-08, 09:07 PM
Sun3rgy
Driver School Candidate

Mine had the same problem when it was brand new, no modifications at all. Dealer had to replace the entire unit and it's been fine since...knock on wood
Old 05-02-08, 09:14 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Did you change your bulbs?

When I did, I did not close the bulb housing securely. It caused condensation when I washed the car.

What you can do: open the bulb housings and place the car under direct sunlight (on a warm, dry day) and let it heat and evaporate for a day. When done, make sure the housings are locked tight and firmly. This is what I did, and it fixed the problem. If it continues to condense, take it to the dealer.

Good luck!
Old 05-03-08, 10:36 AM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Usually, if you remove both the low and high beam covers and use a hair dryer in either slot, this should remove the moisture in 20 minutes. Having both covers off allows the heating element in one, and the vapor to release from the other.
Old 06-18-08, 05:52 AM
Drunkebuda
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

blahhh i got condensation in both of my headlight gonna have to get the dealer to check it out..i wonder if they gonna haggle me for my d4s bulbs change and leds.... for the city lights and try to blame me for it.....
Old 10-17-08, 07:59 AM
myculito
Lead Lap

Not to resurrect an older thread, but I just hit 11k miles on my car, and I have condensation building in my driver's side headlight. The passenger side is fine.

I have not done any modifications to either headlight, so this is a bit upsetting.
Old 10-17-08, 02:52 PM
bondman2
Driver School Candidate

yea i had the same problem and when i removed the headlight somehow the entire headlight had like a half an inch of water built up in the bottom of the housing... opened it all up and dried it out and sooo far no problems...knock on wood