IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Need some opinions, PLEASE, please please

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-08, 02:40 PM
Burst32
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some opinions, PLEASE, please please

Ok, I put my summer wheels/tires on back during the first week of April. They are HPD MSR's 19/8.5 and 19/9.5 respectively. This is the thing, I have had them for only one year now, and I have busted 4 wheels total, on potholes. Busted meaning HAD to be replaced. So I have essentially owned 2 sets of wheels now. I just busted my most recent one when I was out of town, 120 miles out of town to be exact, and it was a super pain in the a$$ to have that situation fixed because I couldn't drive my car back home. Long story short I was without a car for a week just because I like to have good looking wheels on my car.
And trust me, I try very very very hard to find a good line to drive through on bad roads so as not to hit a pothole, and drive slow through the rough parts. I try really hard. But you sometimes you don't have a choice and can't swerve because of oncoming traffic or you mistake one for being too small.
Well I get my car back here, and the company sent the wrong replacement wheel.

Now I am fed up, and here is what I thinking of doing:

1. Put the stock springs and tires back on
2. Sell the aftermarket wheels and tires
3. Enjoy and nice and comfy ride (with wheels that wont bust and non-stressed shocks) for the next 12 months until my lease is up in Spring 2009.
4. And probably go back to an SUV or truck cough cough denali sierra cough cough

Should I do that?? I truly am fed up with the ride quality of the springs (and yes I know if I would have done coilovers it would have been much better but whatever).

Or should I stick with the looks and horrible ride quality and dodge potholes for another year??

GIVE ME SOME FEEDBACK!!! UNDERSTAND MY FRUSTRATION!! HAHAHA

Last edited by Burst32; 04-29-08 at 02:43 PM.
Old 04-29-08, 02:44 PM
radicalrev
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

what kind of potholes did you encounter that you busted 4 wheels total?? wow...maybe the wheels are too weak??
Old 04-29-08, 02:53 PM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't feel bad, I busted two expensive tires and a rim this winter in Chicago. I am still waiting to hear back on my claim (not loosing sleep). I would ditch the aftermarket wheels and put the stocks back on IMO.
Old 04-29-08, 02:59 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

err... you buying knock-off wheels? I've nailed some nasty potholes with my AME's and the only damage i suffer is nicks on the lip...

my guess is you should get a truck
Old 04-29-08, 03:03 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian231
Don't feel bad, I busted two expensive tires and a rim this winter in Chicago. I am still waiting to hear back on my claim (not loosing sleep). I would ditch the aftermarket wheels and put the stocks back on IMO.
The OP doesnt want the 4X4 look

I would think its the rims also? But the pot holes are more like craters in IL and I can imagine what you must have being you are so close! I have a pic I will post later of a crater I just missed last week. I had to take a pic...had it been dark out I would have lost a rim and probably damge to my car! I hope the camera phone pics will do justis.

IMO its a risk we take. If you have 9 mos left then I would keep the stuff on. When and if you swap them out for winter I would hang them to dry and be done at that poing. Enjoy the summer as much as you can while you can! As Brian mentioned send in a claim thru the state to get your money back!

Good luck in your decision.
Old 04-29-08, 04:30 PM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You are hardcore if you take pics of your potholes lol

Usually when I miss a crater I'm too busy doing my 'Nicholas Cage's expression after he jump the stang over the firetruck scene in gone in 60's sec' to remember to stop and take pics lol
Old 04-29-08, 04:33 PM
Burst32
Pole Position

Would the state or town still cover the wheel if it is an aftermarket accessory, for some reason I can see that as being a problem??
Old 04-29-08, 04:35 PM
Burst32
Pole Position

Originally Posted by llamaboiz
err... you buying knock-off wheels? I've nailed some nasty potholes with my AME's and the only damage i suffer is nicks on the lip...

Knock off wheels?? explain.... is it because they look exactly like the BBS wheels (don't know the name but they do look the same) The wheels are two piece, and I would buy three piece wheels, but I have a hard time justifying the price because with the kind of roads we experience around here in the midwest, I just can't see spending that much money because know wheel, unless it is made of some un-earthly metal could withstand the hits I've taken.

also, most of the hits happen at night when its hard to see, then factor in occasional rain and I can't see any holes!!
Old 04-29-08, 04:36 PM
Burst32
Pole Position

Originally Posted by radicalrev
what kind of potholes did you encounter that you busted 4 wheels total?? wow...maybe the wheels are too weak??
you drive in SoCal, I drive in OH and WV haha. you dont even know........
Old 04-29-08, 05:04 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Burst32
you drive in SoCal, I drive in OH and WV haha. you dont even know........
NO they dont...Pics to follow to humor them!
Old 04-29-08, 05:08 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Hope they are decent to see on here. Camera phone pics but this is what "POT HOLES" look like in the Midwest right now

Old 04-29-08, 05:10 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by llamaboiz

now that you can see these pics imagine driving at night or when you cant see because of the car in front of you!!! I dont care what rims you have! Nothing will save you and this pic is nothing compared to the ones that are out there. This one I could take a pic of with out getting run over! I am afraid to drive my car around here.
Old 04-29-08, 06:53 PM
Burst32
Pole Position

it's terrible, If they don't fix them in time, people keep hitting them and hitting them and they get bigger and bigger and BIGGER. It is pretty ridiculous. Especially with how much snow some of us got this winter, the plows were out a lot more often just tearing out chunk after chunk of road. Its terrible with my wheels and my springs because there is no cushion from the tires cus they are lo-pros and not cushion from the shocks because they are obviously more stiff. I dont know if I can take it anymore!
Old 04-29-08, 06:59 PM
CAIFAN_64
Lexus Champion

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

what tire sizes did you had???