IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

RWD during winter

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-08, 07:04 AM
daandman
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RWD during winter

Would good quality winter tires be enough to offset the disadvantage RWD has to AWD & make the 350 drivable during Toronto's snowy winters? Does the traction control make much of a difference?

Or is it just not a good idea regardless?

I really want to get the 350, but I live in Canada & am just worried about driving it during winter. I'm trying to convince myself that it would still be practical to get the 350, but I don't know.
Old 04-04-08, 07:10 AM
MLIAISON
Lead Lap

I **live** (Edited: Cuz of Brian!! lol) in NEW YORK, and Im Still getting the IS350!!! JUST SLAP SNOW TIRES ON IT!

** Its still not going to be as good as AWD in the Snow, but the Tires will def. make a difference. Traction control I heard only keeps the Torque down so the tires dont spin out so much.

RWD Stinks in the snow regardless. So just take it slower than usual. If you're a good driver and know how to handle cars in the snow, it just will take some getting use to.

Last edited by MLIAISON; 04-04-08 at 07:31 AM.
Old 04-04-08, 07:24 AM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MLIAISON
I love in NEW YORK, and Im Still getting the IS350!!! JUST SLAP SNOW TIRES ON IT!

** Its still not going to be as good as AWD in the Snow, but the Tires will def. make a difference. Traction control I heard only keeps the Torque down so the tires dont spin out so much.

RWD Stinks in the snow regardless. So just take it slower than usual. If you're a good driver and know how to handle cars in the snow, it just will take some getting use to.
You have many Love in NY? Just messing with ya!!! Yes, using either Blizzaks or Continental Extreme Contacts will transform a RWD platform to make it more bearable in the snow.
Old 04-04-08, 07:27 AM
MLIAISON
Lead Lap

LOL Brian you're such a Grammer Queen lol. I didnt even notice that!

HEY!! You're making fun of me and for once I knew the answer and was too busy trying to help lol.
Old 04-04-08, 07:35 AM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MLIAISON
LOL Brian you're such a Grammer Queen lol. I didnt even notice that!

HEY!! You're making fun of me and for once I knew the answer and was too busy trying to help lol.
It's all about Good Times!!! Besides it is Friday and I am bored out of my mind!!! Some Hooters wings would be phenomenal right about now. That should be the word of the day, phenomenal. People will ask, how was your weekend and your reply, "phenomenal!!"
Old 04-04-08, 07:36 AM
MLIAISON
Lead Lap

Well my visit to the bathroom this morning was "phenomenal" lol.

but back on topic....

Def. get snow tires lol
Old 04-04-08, 08:08 AM
Adrian350
Driver School Candidate

I live in Toronto as well and have a 350 with 18" Hankooks (225's all around). I've driven through every snowstorm we've had this winter without any issues.
Old 04-04-08, 08:23 AM
tyks
Driver School Candidate

not 100% related, but I'm driving my IS250 RWD with 225 Blizzaks ...

my opinion is that its definitely doable to drive a RWD in winter, just depends on how good you at with the throttle..

you'll have trouble in thicker snow, like during the big storms I had loss of traction mostly when I made turns.. traction control kicked in, but just couldn't get a firm grip on the ground in thick snow. starting and stopping I had the same difficulties as a FWD car does, so no problem there with snow tires on.
Old 04-04-08, 08:29 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Originally Posted by daandman
Would good quality winter tires be enough to offset the disadvantage RWD has to AWD & make the 350 drivable during Toronto's snowy winters? Does the traction control make much of a difference?

Or is it just not a good idea regardless?

I really want to get the 350, but I live in Canada & am just worried about driving it during winter. I'm trying to convince myself that it would still be practical to get the 350, but I don't know.
Had a RX-8 prior to my 250AWD that I NEVER drove in winter here until I got the Conti Extreme Contacts which helped big time but was still not good in winter. IS is heavier car, snow mode will help.

With my IS now never think twice, even after 97" of snow this winter, but enough snow and just about any car will have driving issues... get the 350 if you MUST stomp it all the time, 250AWD for traction and mileage... can't go wrong either way!
Old 04-04-08, 08:46 AM
nabbun
Lexus Champion

just be easy on the pedal and if ur still having trouble with some dedicated winter tires, throw in a sand bag or two in your trunk
Old 04-04-08, 08:51 AM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rdgdawg
Had a RX-8 prior to my 250AWD that I NEVER drove in winter here until I got the Conti Extreme Contacts which helped big time but was still not good in winter. IS is heavier car, snow mode will help.

With my IS now never think twice, even after 97" of snow this winter, but enough snow and just about any car will have driving issues... get the 350 if you MUST stomp it all the time, 250AWD for traction and mileage... can't go wrong either way!
Looks like we are in the same boat in regards to living in a snowbelt region and our vehicle choice. Don't get me wrog, if I was living back in the south, 350 all the way (LOL). I really do like the 250 AWD and have no complaints. By far, the best driving vehicle I have ever owned in adverse weather.
Old 04-04-08, 09:03 AM
Joneser
Driver

Besides all that... your will be driving like you have a 2-50 anyway with the snow tires until the warm weather kicks in. It'll make you appreciate the 3 in the fifty that much during the warm weather.
Old 04-04-08, 11:01 AM
Tajman82
Rookie

move to FLORIDA!
Old 04-04-08, 11:05 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Just slap some snow tires. I did just fine thru this crazy winter we had in IL Just be smart as NO car is perfect in the SNOW!!!

350 for my vote!
Old 04-04-08, 11:08 AM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

no no no... when someone asks, 'How was your day?' your supposed to reply, 'SUPER thanks for asking'

Quick Reply: RWD during winter