IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Lexus Roadside Assist is asking for trouble

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-08, 08:04 AM
shn7926
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lexus Roadside Assist is asking for trouble

Here's the story. power steering goes out and car has to be towed to dealer. The people at Lexus Roadside assist tell my wife that they will give her a loaner car, but that she will have to ride to the dealership with the tow truck driver. Excuse me, put my wife in a tow truck with god only knows who by herself for a 50 mile ride to the dealership. no way in hell is my wife getting into the car with anybody she doesn't know. in the end car went alone with the tow truck and my son drove my wife to the dealership. nothing against tow truck drivers, but i cannot believe Lexus legal would let their operators tell customers to get in a vehicle with a complete stranger. funny thing was when we called the first question they asked was were we in a safe place. yes we were at home. btw, i think lexus subs this out to AAA, who in turn sub it out to a local tow company. so you really have no idea who is going to tow your car. btw, i couldn't go because i was already at work.
Old 03-31-08, 08:09 AM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

What's your point? You expected Lexus to bring you out a loaner to the tow site? hahaha Obviously you do have something against tow truck drivers.
Old 03-31-08, 08:47 AM
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Is this post for real? Do you let your wife ride in a taxi?
Old 03-31-08, 08:51 AM
sincityIS
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah every tow driver I know is serial killer.
Old 03-31-08, 08:59 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Paronoia,paranoia....

You've got to be kidding!
Old 03-31-08, 09:05 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by shn7926
Here's the story...
I don't think this is anything unusual.

Sure, your wife needed assistance. But what is the difference between a tow truck driver that was documented to pick up your wife, versus a car company who is also documented to pick her up? Same scenario, different strangers?
Old 03-31-08, 09:13 AM
Little E
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry about your situation with the power steering.

If it was me, I would want to ride with tower driver to the dealership to make sure nothing bad happened to my car as it was being lifted and unlifted off the bed of the tow truck.
Old 03-31-08, 09:51 AM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I actually understand the OP's frustration, he is concerned for the safety of his wife, who wouldn't be. He had his son take her which was smart IMO. He is avoided any potential issues which could occur. We dont live in a perfect world and he is playing it safe. Some dealers will send a car out to drop off a loaner, depends on the dealer and availability.

Last edited by Brian231; 03-31-08 at 12:22 PM.
Old 03-31-08, 09:56 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Should the tow driver just have left her there? This is what AAA has done for years; i.e., before the invention of cell phones, and the ease of just calling someone to come pick you up.
Old 03-31-08, 09:57 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

You did the right thing!

Koz
Old 03-31-08, 10:01 AM
chums
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

id give out props since you were concerned for your wifes safety. its great your son was able to pick her up and drive out to the dealership. its true, things seem to be getting shadier by the minute nowadays.

but like others have said, whats the difference between a tow-truck driver and a courtesy shuttle driver going out to pickup your wife? theyll both be strangers

just as a side note, our old service manager became a tow-truck driver because oddly enough it's what he loved. great guy, but after working so many years as a manager he wanted to "relax"
Old 03-31-08, 11:02 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian231
I actually understand the OP's frustration, he is concerned fo rthe safety of his wife, who wouldn't be. He had his son take her which was smart IMO. He is avoided any potential issues which could occur. We dont live in a perfect world and he is playing it safe. Some dealers will send a car out to drop off a loaner, depends on the dealer and availability.
Agree

We all make a choice and the OP made the right one.
Old 03-31-08, 12:55 PM
ecr527
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you were uncomfortable having your wife ride to the dealership with the tow truck driver, then that's your choice, and for you, was the right one. On the other hand, like the others said, even if Lexus sent a courtesy shuttle over to pick up your wife, it would still be a stranger.

I don't know if Lexus farms out their towing service (although I'm pretty sure JM Lexus in this area has their own tow trucks), but I've had my old car towed before and rode along with the tow truck driver. I don't think Lexus has any more legal liability than anyone that rides the courtesy shuttle.

You can't expect everything. It's a complementary service provided by Lexus as a perk to owning one for crying out loud.
Old 03-31-08, 01:56 PM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ecr527
If you were uncomfortable having your wife ride to the dealership with the tow truck driver, then that's your choice, and for you, was the right one. On the other hand, like the others said, even if Lexus sent a courtesy shuttle over to pick up your wife, it would still be a stranger.

I don't know if Lexus farms out their towing service (although I'm pretty sure JM Lexus in this area has their own tow trucks), but I've had my old car towed before and rode along with the tow truck driver. I don't think Lexus has any more legal liability than anyone that rides the courtesy shuttle.

You can't expect everything. It's a complementary service provided by Lexus as a perk to owning one for crying out loud.
I guess you would have no problem sending your daughter or wife with a stranger even in a circumstance where it could be avoided? IMO, safety is best policy. The OP was just concerned and stated his opinion which is absolutely fine. The underlying theme, I would never gamble with puting anyone at risk when it could be avoided. That is not to say that all shuttle, cab, to-truck and other transport drivers are shady, dishonest, or invoke worrisome thought, but a 50 mile journey to the Lexus dealer with a complete stranger is a bit much IMO.
Old 03-31-08, 02:07 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

The OP shouldn't expect Lexus to deliver a loaner 50 miles away to her either.
No way Lexus is at fault with their policy on this matter.

Quick Reply: Lexus Roadside Assist is asking for trouble