IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

changes to the IS350

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-08, 03:03 PM
SilverBull
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default changes to the IS350

Someone posted here asking about potential ISx50 changes that would make the car better. I think about this because I am 90% ready to sell mine for a few reasons. The main one is the inability to change the hp of the car. The ECU and Engine Management system are so encrypted that I can't make changes to anything easily. Plus, there is a Turbo and SC out but for the price it is absurd to only get 50 hp. The suspension is also pretty tame for a sports sedan. It is for those main reasons I am selling my car to buy an Acura NSX. I don't use my rear seats enough to justify them. Plus, who here hasn't ever wanted a NSX?
Old 03-17-08, 03:10 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Well... first n foremost, why did you goto a lexus dealer in the first place if you wanted a 'sports car'?
Old 03-17-08, 03:19 PM
gsrthomas
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are a few people on here that sold their IS350's and purchased an NSX. Do a search.

I guess the IS is kind of boring to drive since even IS350 guys are switching to something more fun to drive.

I'm even thinking about getting a 2009 STI which is a really fun car to drive.

Lexus cars aren't really mod friendly. When I get my STI I will do just a ECU tune right when I get it since the stock tune is crap. I will get 45hp with just a tune.. and after few thousand miles I will get a Stage 2 (upgraded down pipe) done with a protune and will be running close to 400hp which is 100% reliable and capable to run in the 12's. This will cost me $1500 to get the car running in the 12's. And If I want to track it I will get some sways and go hunting for some porsches.

Last edited by gsrthomas; 03-17-08 at 03:28 PM.
Old 03-17-08, 03:19 PM
SilverBull
Advanced

I didn't want a sports car 1.5 years ago. I wanted a sports sedan. I also bought it a little fast considering what had happened during that month. I was looking for a fun weekend car. This happened to fit at the time. Over time I got frustrated with the limits of the car's engine. I started to question what more could be done to the car without changing everything about it. Then I hung out with a friend that had a 91' NSX. I loved it. It was older but still had nice looks for the year it was built. It handled great and had loads of potential in the engine. My friend was gettind done a turbo kit from Factor X racing. He currently gets close to 500hp at the wheel.

I love the way it looks. I still like my IS350 but everyone has one these days. It is dependable and looks good but it is an automatic and I pretty much have to change the engine for more power. I also haven't used the back seat as often as I thought I would considering I have two kids.
Old 03-17-08, 03:30 PM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by llamaboiz
Well... first n foremost, why did you goto a lexus dealer in the first place if you wanted a 'sports car'?
ha!
Old 03-18-08, 12:36 AM
Kayo
Rookie

1) I would change some understeer/road feel. The car is way to jumpy. Without translating what is going on.

2) Snow switch. Keep having to turn it on and off, while the power is kept on.

3) Same with heated, constantly on, long after the passenger is way gone.

Oh well... Still love the car,

Kayo
Old 03-18-08, 04:12 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SilverBull
I didn't want a sports car 1.5 years ago. I wanted a sports sedan. I also bought it a little fast considering what had happened during that month. I was looking for a fun weekend car. This happened to fit at the time. Over time I got frustrated with the limits of the car's engine. I started to question what more could be done to the car without changing everything about it. Then I hung out with a friend that had a 91' NSX. I loved it. It was older but still had nice looks for the year it was built. It handled great and had loads of potential in the engine. My friend was gettind done a turbo kit from Factor X racing. He currently gets close to 500hp at the wheel.

I love the way it looks. I still like my IS350 but everyone has one these days. It is dependable and looks good but it is an automatic and I pretty much have to change the engine for more power. I also haven't used the back seat as often as I thought I would considering I have two kids.

Good points.... I myself have grown bored of cars and changed/upgraded in as little as 4 months, so I think it's reasonable to want "more power." Who doesn't?

I have two kids also, they've never been in it yet the space is there if ever needed plus driving clients to lunch, meetings, etc. As far as the IS goes, wouldn't change a thing, does exactly what Lexus designed it to do....
Old 03-18-08, 04:34 AM
k_dizzle
Pole Position

Who the heck buys a LEXUS and expects its to be MOD friendly? COMMON SENSE people!!
Old 03-18-08, 07:46 AM
Irishfan
Driver

If I were you, I'd stop looking for a jack-of-all-trades, no-compromise car. They don't exist.

Keep the IS, and pick up a mod-friendly car, maybe a used S2K. From what I understand, they're pretty easy to get 300+ whp out of?
Old 03-18-08, 07:49 AM
Badman Forever
Lead Lap

i heard quite a few is350 peeps switched out to the is-f. have you considered that?

btw, there is one member here that made his is350 get into the 12.8's w/ n-a mods. perhaps you could consult w/ him before you make your final decision.
Old 03-18-08, 07:50 AM
uschardcor
Lexus Test Driver

someone who's research consisted of looking at the IS300.
Old 03-18-08, 08:12 AM
Tmirk
Pole Position

The big question is have you really pushed this car. Really found out its limits? Or are you a tinkerer by nature, and need something to modify?

It may not feel fun.... but it performs and it performs a lot better than almost everyone gives it credit for.
Old 03-18-08, 08:25 AM
Lama
Driver

My $.02

I've been driving a 2008 Corvette the last few days, rental, business.

So, this is a performance car, not the best one, but a good representation of a performance car. It has massive horsepower. It can light the wheels up at will, pulls like a freight train, gets to 150mph in a blink of the eye, and makes such wonderful V8 noises.

Bad? Crappy interior products, steering 10 times more vague than the IS, some of the worst switchology I have ever seen, noisy, and of course the "Disco Stu" appeal of the Vette.

So I get back in my IS350. Nice interior, great switches, quiet, smooth, plenty of power, good gas mileage for the amount of power, looks good, and sounds great with the Tanabe.

So I am left with the feeling the IS is a great car. It costs way less than many "performance" cars, has some class at the valet stand, and it does what I want. I also like the Japanese version of "upscale", which is very sophisticated, IMHO.

Overall, the IS is not a do everything for everyone car, but it is a very appealing vehicle.
Old 03-18-08, 09:30 AM
sirCharles
Lead Lap

Default Great Daily Driver

NSX? must have made wrong purchase to start off with. Like other have said, get a big sports car, exotic or something with a lot of HP. Everyone here may differ slightly as to the VALUE they place on the IS.

The IS350 has been a nearly perfect daily driver for me. I mean every freakin day...LOL. peace of mind and very respected out there.

Safe, Practical, cool daily driver. I do not expect a lot more and would never consider adding SC or turbo to this IS350...No way because I use this car as daily driver.