IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

DIY JDM Style Side Mirrors with Turn Signal

Old 03-14-08, 03:36 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default DIY JDM Style Side Mirrors with Turn Signal **UPDATE Working Now post 2 has infor***

First I would like to Thank Joeb427 for showing me this! I have one side installed and need to tap into the wires but this should allow you to see what it takes to install. Took about an hour for the 1st side. Will do the drivers side tomorrow. I need to find out what wire to tap into if anyone has that info that would be great! Enjoy!

to remove the mirror i followed this thread for starters! Thanks for your help on this part!

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...6&postcount=43

remove the three screws as mentioned in the post above. follow that same process and it allows you to remove that UGLY cover!
Next Remove the door panel! (you may do this first if you want)

This cover pops off above so you can unscrew the handle. I did not remove the cables or anything attached. I set a box i had under the panel so it would rest.

Door switch i just pulled this up and it came out with ease. there is a screw that holds the door in place kind of behind the handle. long metal bracket that attaches it. Make sure you unplug the 2 connections and remove this. NOTE: after you reinstall you will have to do the window up/down to set it back up. This is okay and normal. a few full motions and its back to normal.

After this i just pulled the door panel from the bottom. there is about 10 clips that hold it in. give it a good pull! once i had them all out i pushed up from the bottom and it slid right off.

above this red box you will see this opening. there are 2 10mm bolts that i removed. next picture this is only 1 10mm bold (3 total hold the mirror in place)

I just removed the plastic stuff that is in place with like a heavy duty putty and then placed it back when done!

Now that i had the bolts loose i removed the mirror from the door to feed the wire!

Wire will run right threw the middle bolt that all the wires are coming from. there is a rubber seal on the bottom that i removed a little to help me feed the wire thru.
here is a pic of the wire thru the door!

I now removed the rubber gromet from the door to the car where all the wires are run to the door from the car. push in or pull both will work to remove. fishing the wire thru took some time! from here i wasnt able to get the wire to pass thru into the car? not sure what i was hitting so what i did from here is run the wire up the side and pushed it behind the rubber seal that sits between the front fender and the door jam(behind it allows you to pass thru into the engine bay)
a few pics of above info

Now i had the wire under the hood so i just installed everything back! Had no issues putting everything back!

Last edited by passnu2; 03-20-08 at 07:25 PM.
Old 03-14-08, 03:37 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

***UPDATE***

Lights are wired up and are working! Few notes! You MUST ground the wire to the car and you will see where I did in my pics below. if you ground to the turn signal wire it wont work, 2 out of the 4 leds light up. I tapped the wire as you will see in the pics below.

The Mirrors DO NOT auto fold like the JDM ones. Not an option with what i have done!

Lights flash when you Lock/UnLock the car along with all your other turn signals and they flash normal along with the other turns! (NO HYPER FLASH)

If you have questions PM me and i will do my best to help you! I went to my tech after hours to find these wires so this should help everyone out a lot!

Passenger (right) side the wire is red (see pic below) and we just tapped into and solder the wire and then electrical tape. The wire was put in that same harness so its hidden!

Driver (left) side the wire is green (see pic below) do the same as above! This wire is in the "power box" as my tech called it. You can see from the pic where its at. The connector is the last one so you have to unplug the 2 in front of it to reach the one we need.

I have a PDF file if you need it for the wire diagram that i can give to also help you out. I think the pics should help but more then happy. I need you to PM your email for me to send it. Its page 4 out of 5 pages. The rest do not apply to this DIY thread!

Ground on Driver (left) side...

Pic of the light on...sorry no video yet! (took some time to get it at the right time)

Light off...

Here is a pic of it installed.

Sorry i dont have a fancy camera!! forgive me for the poor quality pics!

Last edited by passnu2; 03-20-08 at 07:23 PM.
Old 03-14-08, 03:41 PM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

awwwww.....my eyes!

looking good tho....now you makes me reconsidering this....

thanks for sharing!
Old 03-14-08, 03:41 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Great info!
Where are you going to tap in?
Front signal lamp wire?
Old 03-14-08, 03:44 PM
lexboi250
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

YES!!! looks awesome, can't wait to put mine on, along with the kit. Pictures kinda blurry. I"m afraid to take out all those parts, i'll probably ask my mechanic to do it :S
Old 03-14-08, 03:45 PM
radicalrev
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

does it blink?? nice diy...
Old 03-14-08, 03:46 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by lexboi250
YES!!! looks awesome, can't wait to put mine on, along with the kit. Pictures kinda blurry. I"m afraid to take out all those parts, i'll probably ask my mechanic to do it :S
I'm with ya!
This install is going to my buddy at his body shop.
Old 03-14-08, 04:27 PM
iSuxeL
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does it fold yet??? OMG I wanted these for the longest but dont want to spend the money.
Old 03-14-08, 04:54 PM
stvn
Pole Position

looks good! auto-folding would also be a nice option
Old 03-14-08, 05:04 PM
Jenomic
Driver

looking pretty good.. better than i thought it would..

the pictures hurt my eyes tho.. haha

great job anyway!
Old 03-14-08, 05:23 PM
MIA IS250
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nice man!!! looking good!!!!! ebert and roper says 2 !!!!!!!
Old 03-14-08, 06:25 PM
BounceNY
Lexus Test Driver

I'm soo droolin'....

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but how much were these? and where'd ya get them?
Old 03-14-08, 06:26 PM
tfz_hebe89
Lexus Champion

wow..great mirrors!! how long did u take to install one side?

did u buy this from ebay?

hey, post pics/video with the turn signal on!!
Old 03-14-08, 06:35 PM
ExTrEmE99
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Looks good so far, but can you give us some input on the LEDs? Can we replace the led bulbs? (i know it would be illegal)
Old 03-14-08, 06:41 PM
WhatYaGot
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

I like.....looking forward to the completed project. Thanks for the DIY.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: DIY JDM Style Side Mirrors with Turn Signal