IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Non-Nav to Nav Conversion (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-06, 04:50 PM
johnAboy
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Non-Nav to Nav Conversion (merged threads)

Hi all,

I'm new to the forum so I'm not sure if this is covered elsewhere, but I'm looking to install a stock nav/ML into my IS250awd that doesn't have a navigation system(just the digital stock unit).

Has anyone on here done that swap out? If so, how much did you pay for the actual nav unit as well as the installation? The nav is a great feature, but I also want to do this so that I can have the bluetooth function, and watch dvds on the screen.

This (besides some 19' rims) is the only major mod I want to do so any help in this is greatly appreciated. Thanks a million in advance for the replies
Old 09-06-06, 04:56 PM
silver250
Driver

from what i've seen on this forum so far, nobody has done it yet.........if yo wanted it that bad, how come you didnt buy the car with the nav/ml system?
Old 09-06-06, 05:00 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The ML system has a different speaker configuration. Just because it has 14 speakers, it doesn't mean that it's the stock 13 plus one.

You may be able to add the Nav later, but the ML system may be very difficult to configure.
Old 09-06-06, 05:03 PM
johnAboy
Driver

Originally Posted by silver250
if yo wanted it that bad, how come you didnt buy the car with the nav/ml system?
the one's they had left on the lot didn't have nav, and got a good deal on it

i figured i could always swap it out later, and it might even be cheaper
Old 09-06-06, 05:07 PM
johnAboy
Driver

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
The ML system has a different speaker configuration. Just because it has 14 speakers, it doesn't mean that it's the stock 13 plus one.

You may be able to add the Nav later, but the ML system may be very difficult to configure.
oh really?

i've read on here that you can only watch dvd's on the nav screem if you have the ML package. if that's the case i'll probably have to get a nav/dvd converter, right?

thanks for the quick replies guys! i'll keep searching for info, and post some on here if/when i find any
Old 09-06-06, 05:11 PM
silver250
Driver

its possible to watch dvd's without the ML/nav...........all you have to do is swap the cd changer to the ML's dvd changer.........there was this guy on the GS forum that got lucky at the dealer, to make a long story short, his cd changer broke and they ordered him a dvd changer by accident........then he persuaded the dealer to just give it to him and now he is able to watch dvds
Old 09-06-06, 05:20 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

its possible to watch dvd's without the ML/nav...........all you have to do is swap the cd changer to the ML's dvd changer.........

it's possible to watch movies without one, all you have to do is swap to get one.

I know what you mean, it's just funny how you said it.
Old 09-06-06, 06:08 PM
johnAboy
Driver

its possible to watch dvd's without the ML/nav...........all you have to do is swap the cd changer to the ML's dvd changer.........there was this guy on the GS forum that got lucky at the dealer, to make a long story short, his cd changer broke and they ordered him a dvd changer by accident........then he persuaded the dealer to just give it to him and now he is able to watch dvds
lucky guy!

so lexus makes a dvd changer?

Originally Posted by kensteele

it's possible to watch movies without one, all you have to do is swap to get one.

I know what you mean, it's just funny how you said it.
wait, what? lol, i'm a little confused now
Old 09-06-06, 07:16 PM
ABC
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

From the photos i've seen on here of the back of the NAV unit, it seems there are simply a few harnesses you would need to plug into it and the entire thing come sout as one piece... Seems rather simple to me if the wiring matches up.
Old 09-06-06, 08:08 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by johnAboy
Hi all,

I'm new to the forum so I'm not sure if this is covered elsewhere, but I'm looking to install a stock nav/ML into my IS250awd that doesn't have a navigation system(just the digital stock unit).

Has anyone on here done that swap out? If so, how much did you pay for the actual nav unit as well as the installation? The nav is a great feature, but I also want to do this so that I can have the bluetooth function, and watch dvds on the screen.

This (besides some 19' rims) is the only major mod I want to do so any help in this is greatly appreciated. Thanks a million in advance for the replies
The list price for the NAV brain alone is about $4k. Factor in the hi-res touch screen at about $3K and the ML components which are $3k (speakers and amp). It's a pricey decision.
Old 09-06-06, 08:27 PM
johnAboy
Driver

Originally Posted by MrMut
From the photos i've seen on here of the back of the NAV unit, it seems there are simply a few harnesses you would need to plug into it and the entire thing come sout as one piece... Seems rather simple to me if the wiring matches up.
see, that was the impression i was getting too

in the pictures of people who did wire cutting (so that they can play dvds/access their phonebook/input destinations while driving) i could see that there were 3 main plugs that connect the to the back of the nav unit. mind you that there are a bunch of little wires connected to each plug, but it seems as though it should be a relatively easy job for a tech to do.

unless i'm COMPLETELY off (which i very well could be)

Last edited by johnAboy; 09-06-06 at 08:31 PM.
Old 09-06-06, 08:31 PM
IS35O
Pole Position

Does anyone know where to order the dvd changer by itself?
Old 09-06-06, 09:22 PM
tqlla3k
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Probably better to wait and see if someone else can do it. It may not be that easy.

I know of 2 people who bought the parts to do it. But they never came back to give an update. So I think things went poorly
Old 09-07-06, 06:39 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

trade the vehicle in for one that has Nav/ML, going to be a lot easier and maybe cheaper than buying the actual units from the dealer and who knows how complicated the install might be, I really doubt its a straight swap
Old 09-07-06, 06:45 AM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
trade the vehicle in for one that has Nav/ML, going to be a lot easier and maybe cheaper than buying the actual units from the dealer and who knows how complicated the install might be, I really doubt its a straight swap
Agreed....

Quick Reply: Non-Nav to Nav Conversion (merged threads)