Attitudes

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-08, 12:33 AM
awol707
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Attitudes

Today must of been my lucky day...

I live in a decently wealthy town; lots of BMWs, Mercedes, Lexus etc... Occasionally a Ferrari or Lambo will cruise around but very rarely.

Anyway, I am on my way to class and decide to stop at Whole Foods. As I am pulling into the parking lot, I see a car waiting to pull into a spot that's about to open up. I ignored the vehicle that is cautiously waiting, but something tempted me to look back. It was an Audi R8. I am a huge fan of the R8, so I recklessly parked my IS250 to catch the person getting out of it. This overly confident (wants people to think he has money) guy steps out of the vehicle. I instantly knew this fool had no game with the ladies, but anyway... I politely say, "Nice ride, first one I've seen around here. Care to show me it?" With his lips sealed, he glares at me then squints his eyes in a way that illustrates "That's nice," then he nods his head and continues walking. Not one word came out of this fools mouth. As he walks away slowly with his embarrassing swagger, I'm thinking to myself, "Money doesn't buy happiness."

To continue on... I walk into the store buy my Brown Rice, trust me I think this rice had more character then that guy did. Anyway, as I am leaving the store I decide to walk around and examine the R8 a little more. Before I had time to even blink twice an IS-F had pulled up and parked right next to the R8. I'm thinking to myself while laughing, "What's going on here...? This can't be happening." The guy gets out of the IS-F. He starts talking to me about the R8 asking questions like, "Beautiful car huh?" "I've been reading a lot about this car." Etc... Him and I chatted for a little bit, but rudely I ignored the IS-F. After a bit, I instantly changed the subject to his IS-F. Showed him my IS250 and then back over to his ride. I mentioned to him that I would trade my car in immediately for an IS-F, but I guess being a college student at the age of 20 creates a brick door that I have not yet received the key for. He continues to talk and mentions how he would kill to have a car like the IS250 at my age. I told him as much as I love the car it makes me sick to my stomach owning something like a Lexus at my age. People stereotype me etc... He countered my complaints and said some wise words.

After a little more conversation he offers to let me drive his IS-F around the block. I thought he was joking, but it turned out he was serious. I instantly took him up on the offer. I was intimated to not drive aggressively, so I was not able to experience the power, but the basic "town" drive was more than enough for me. All I gotta say is, all you IS-F owners are very lucky!

To conclude, I received a huge reality check tonight. I looked at myself like, "I hope I don't come off like that R8 owner did towards other people." I ran previous moments where people have asked me questions about my car, and they checked out. I was always warm-hearted and friendly with those people. I relieved myself a little bit when I answered those moments. I also questioned... Do I really need a car like this? As much as I love it... Is it worth it? I do the best to not let the car influence my character, and friends have told me that I do not ever bring it up, unless asked about it. I guess I am just having a hard time figuring out what I want to do... Do I want to trade it in? Iono... I am confused. Running into the R8 owner and the IS-F owner raised a lot of questions for me.

On a positive note. I hope all IS-F owners are friendly like this guy was. LOL! The car is beautiful, and experiencing the IS-F in real-life is completely different than in pictures.

Hope I didn't bore anyone.... I wanted to share my experience that I had this evening.

Thanks,
Awol
Old 02-29-08, 12:43 AM
DaWhole9
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Car enthusiasts are just that, they love to talk about cars....people that buy a car to make up for small ***** size dont ever get it. I know people with MILLIONS of dollars of cars....one friend has TWO Carrera GTs, Ford GT, Murci, Gallardo roadster, 2 997 GT3RS's, 997 GT2 (on order), F430, etc...and he is cooler than anything....he will just sit and talk to you for hours...here is his garage.....its only about half of his cars....
Old 02-29-08, 01:03 AM
knihc2008
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What the heck, + flat screen TV's every 10 feet lol
Old 02-29-08, 01:17 AM
hihi410
Lead Lap

i bet he likes to drive the ferrari and the RR....because he would have to move 4 cars just to get to the gallardo!

ok i am just being jealous thats all......i could sleep in that room all day.
Old 02-29-08, 01:25 AM
cspec
Lexus Champion

I don't think the R8 guy is really obliged to speak to you out of randomness. This could be anyone really. The next ISF owner could equally pull the same stunt.

Ever know why stereotypes start?
Old 02-29-08, 02:01 AM
ba-b4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Ever consider you might look like a young punk that is out to key his ride? i'd be suspicious of you too and give you THE SQUINT! lol j/k there are all sorts out there if you intercepted some dude stepping out of an accord they might ignore you too so dont think too much about it.
Old 02-29-08, 03:17 AM
2slow
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Maybe you should catch him on the road sometime and show him what Lexus is made of (Expensive Toyota Parts). Anyways, he's probably full of himself, and he hates his life.

Or maybe cause you are in another racial group then he was?
Old 02-29-08, 07:07 AM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by awol707
Today must of been my lucky day...

I live in a decently wealthy town; lots of BMWs, Mercedes, Lexus etc... Occasionally a Ferrari or Lambo will cruise around but very rarely.

Anyway, I am on my way to class and decide to stop at Whole Foods. As I am pulling into the parking lot, I see a car waiting to pull into a spot that's about to open up. I ignored the vehicle that is cautiously waiting, but something tempted me to look back. It was an Audi R8. I am a huge fan of the R8, so I recklessly parked my IS250 to catch the person getting out of it. This overly confident (wants people to think he has money) guy steps out of the vehicle. I instantly knew this fool had no game with the ladies, but anyway... I politely say, "Nice ride, first one I've seen around here. Care to show me it?" With his lips sealed, he glares at me then squints his eyes in a way that illustrates "That's nice," then he nods his head and continues walking. Not one word came out of this fools mouth. As he walks away slowly with his embarrassing swagger, I'm thinking to myself, "Money doesn't buy happiness."

To continue on... I walk into the store buy my Brown Rice, trust me I think this rice had more character then that guy did. Anyway, as I am leaving the store I decide to walk around and examine the R8 a little more. Before I had time to even blink twice an IS-F had pulled up and parked right next to the R8. I'm thinking to myself while laughing, "What's going on here...? This can't be happening." The guy gets out of the IS-F. He starts talking to me about the R8 asking questions like, "Beautiful car huh?" "I've been reading a lot about this car." Etc... Him and I chatted for a little bit, but rudely I ignored the IS-F. After a bit, I instantly changed the subject to his IS-F. Showed him my IS250 and then back over to his ride. I mentioned to him that I would trade my car in immediately for an IS-F, but I guess being a college student at the age of 20 creates a brick door that I have not yet received the key for. He continues to talk and mentions how he would kill to have a car like the IS250 at my age. I told him as much as I love the car it makes me sick to my stomach owning something like a Lexus at my age. People stereotype me etc... He countered my complaints and said some wise words.

After a little more conversation he offers to let me drive his IS-F around the block. I thought he was joking, but it turned out he was serious. I instantly took him up on the offer. I was intimated to not drive aggressively, so I was not able to experience the power, but the basic "town" drive was more than enough for me. All I gotta say is, all you IS-F owners are very lucky!

To conclude, I received a huge reality check tonight. I looked at myself like, "I hope I don't come off like that R8 owner did towards other people." I ran previous moments where people have asked me questions about my car, and they checked out. I was always warm-hearted and friendly with those people. I relieved myself a little bit when I answered those moments. I also questioned... Do I really need a car like this? As much as I love it... Is it worth it? I do the best to not let the car influence my character, and friends have told me that I do not ever bring it up, unless asked about it. I guess I am just having a hard time figuring out what I want to do... Do I want to trade it in? Iono... I am confused. Running into the R8 owner and the IS-F owner raised a lot of questions for me.

On a positive note. I hope all IS-F owners are friendly like this guy was. LOL! The car is beautiful, and experiencing the IS-F in real-life is completely different than in pictures.

Hope I didn't bore anyone.... I wanted to share my experience that I had this evening.

Thanks,
Awol
We'll,

If you were inquisative and polite, that is all that matters. I always speak to other IS owners etc. Don't let this guy bring you down. He was probably was in a hurry to get back to maintaining his developing "Booger Collection!!!" You attract more bee's with honey. I just thought I would add that tidbit because I recently heard that phrase again although, it sounds cliche!!
Old 02-29-08, 07:49 AM
sirkfc
Lexus Test Driver

I don't know. I think the "care to show me it" comment crossed the line a little. The guy just wants to go do his shopping. I wonder if you had stopped at "nice car, first one I've seen around here", he might have just said, "thanks, I like it." or something like that.

Not that anybody ever cares to ask about my IS350, but I'd be a little cautious if some stranger approaches me in a parking lot and asks me to show him my car. Who knows what kind of scammers are out there...

The IS-F guy definitely went way beyond normal in letting you go for a spin in his car.

Overall I didn't see anything wrong with what you did or said, but I'd cut the R8 guy some slack and give him the benefit of the doubt.
Old 02-29-08, 08:14 AM
FiveOhNine
Lexus Champion

It's been my experience that the Audi crowd is pretty laid back....don't let one rotten apple.....
Old 02-29-08, 09:16 AM
sincityIS
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Jesus, What does your friend do for a living. What he has in cars dwarfs what my house cost, lol.
Old 02-29-08, 09:38 AM
DaWhole9
Pole Position

Originally Posted by sincityIS
Jesus, What does your friend do for a living. What he has in cars dwarfs what my house cost, lol.
Mortgage industry...lol...Like I said, thats only about HALF of the cars....but back to the original poster...

Some guys buy cars because they are into cars...some guys are posers and buy a car just because he wants people to know he has money. Its just like a guy leasing an AMG, but rents a crappy apartment.....Its because he wants OTHERS to think he is cool. I know guys who have bought Porsche GT2's and NEVER touch a racetrack....and thats a HORRIBLE street car....why? So they can say they spent $200k on a car...if they got it cool...I am in the entertainment biz and its so funny peoples reaction when they see me pull up in a lowly Lexus....but when I quickly inform them that I can blow the doors off of their posermobiles....they quickly change their tune....
Old 02-29-08, 11:47 AM
Shoganai
Lexus Test Driver

Man what a nice IS-F owner... I don't let anybody drive my car let alone a stranger I just met in a parking lot. I talk to ppl who stop me and inquire on my ride but I never dis anybody thinking i'm the shiiiiiits... cuz there is a million other car enthusiast w/ better cars than mine.
Old 02-29-08, 11:57 AM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by sirkfc
I don't know. I think the "care to show me it" comment crossed the line a little. The guy just wants to go do his shopping. I wonder if you had stopped at "nice car, first one I've seen around here", he might have just said, "thanks, I like it." or something like that.

Not that anybody ever cares to ask about my IS350, but I'd be a little cautious if some stranger approaches me in a parking lot and asks me to show him my car. Who knows what kind of scammers are out there...
I agree, but it is nice meeting a fellow car enthusiast.

Originally Posted by sirkfc
The IS-F guy definitely went way beyond normal in letting you go for a spin in his car.
Now this is crazy, letting a total stranger drive your car? I have a hard enough time letting someone valet my car

Last edited by INHOCJP; 02-29-08 at 12:08 PM.
Old 02-29-08, 12:06 PM
Little E
Lexus Champion

Maybe the Audi guy didn't know English? haha..I doubt it. Anyway, the world is full of people with sticks up their butts. This Audi guy probably hasn't gotten laid in a while. LOL

Quick Reply: Attitudes