Question!!! oil filter!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-07, 08:54 AM
t.is350.h
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question!!! oil filter!!!

Hi guys,
I was wondering, if any of you guy buy oil filter kit from irontoad.com. I was looking at there website, but I did not see their address or telephone; therefore, I want to ask you guys first before doing something crazy.
thanks guy....
Old 11-08-07, 10:59 AM
llhelix
Rookie

Looks like they have an info page: http://www.irontoad.com/l_info.htm

If you wanted a trusted source, you could always buy from Sewell Lexus at www.lexus-parts.com and use the 10% discount code CL911M. Comes out to about $4.87 for the Oil Filter Kit.
Old 11-08-07, 11:03 AM
t.is350.h
Lexus Test Driver

thanks for the info........
Old 11-08-07, 01:33 PM
since5oh
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

i bought my filters from them. didn't have a problem.
Old 11-08-07, 01:50 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts

OR

Stop by your Local Toyota Dealership.. They should have the same part# in stock...
Old 11-08-07, 01:56 PM
mikeho
Lead Lap

I agree. You're really only saving $5 by going to the dealership. I bought mine from the dealer for $9.59 after tax. Are you really willing to save $5 and potentially risk damaging your engine by using an unknown part?

Even in my research for HID kits, there are warnings all over about fakes and substandard parts that can cause damage. Personally, I wouldn't want to risk it for a car that isn't inexpensive.

If Sewell Lexus is trustworthy, then get it there. I don't trust a website that says the shipping weight is 0.00 lbs, even if the oil filter kit is really light. http://www.irontoad.com/Merchant2/me...Store_Code=LSC
Old 11-08-07, 02:10 PM
llhelix
Rookie

Yeah you actually don't save any money buying online IF you only buy one filter cuz of shipping charges. I bought a couple filters and some other parts at the same time from Sewell to consolidate shipping. That's the only way you'll be saving money on these filters.
Old 11-08-07, 02:13 PM
t.is350.h
Lexus Test Driver

I did pay a visit to two dealers, but they don't know what to look for. I even brought in the oil filter box (with part number on it) that I bought from lexus, but they still can locate the part.

Originally Posted by Joe Z
OR

Stop by your Local Toyota Dealership.. They should have the same part# in stock...

I think you miss understanding my question. Are they ligit? That is my question. May be my english is so bad. I don't want pay and then just wait....and then find out that they took my money and never send the parts.

Only 5 dollars? 5/per. oil filter.
how can an oem oil filter can damage my engine?

Originally Posted by mikeho
I agree. You're really only saving $5 by going to the dealership. I bought mine from the dealer for $9.59 after tax. Are you really willing to save $5 and potentially risk damaging your engine by using an unknown part?

If Sewell Lexus is trustworthy, then get it there. I don't trust a website that says the shipping weight is 0.00 lbs, even if the oil filter kit is really light. http://www.irontoad.com/Merchant2/me...Store_Code=LSC
Thanks for the sewel info....
Old 11-08-07, 02:14 PM
t.is350.h
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by since5oh
i bought my filters from them. didn't have a problem.
You did? sewel or irontoad?
Old 11-08-07, 02:16 PM
t.is350.h
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by llhelix

I guess, I didn't even look....shame on me....
Old 11-08-07, 03:23 PM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

two oil filters for ten bucks.

http://www.l-tunedparts.com/product/?id=2533
Old 11-08-07, 03:24 PM
mikeho
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by t.is350.h
Only 5 dollars? 5/per. oil filter.
how can an oem oil filter can damage my engine?
I totally understand your question. I don't know if they're legit, but why take the chance? You don't know if it's an OEM part. They claim it is, but you don't know. OEM = Original Equipment Manufacturer, which basically means that they claim that Toyota made the part. What if they didn't?

Like I said, why take the chance? If you buy it from the dealership, you know it's a genuine part. If you don't, you run the risk of getting some faulty fake part which won't filter your oil as it should or introduces contaminants to your engine. That would either cause engine wear to accelerate or destroy your engine completely. $5/filter. If you change every 5K miles, then that's $100 in 100K miles. Compare that to probably $10K if you kill your engine. I'd rather pay the $100.
Old 11-08-07, 03:29 PM
mikeho
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by llhelix
Another thing that strikes me as odd is that they claim that they sell genuine Lexus parts versus factory Lexus parts. What's the difference?? The factory parts is what they're going to put into your car anyway when they first build it.

You can diss me or knock me down as much as you want, but in the end, all I'm trying to do is point out the fact that there are little discrepancies on these sites that put red flags in my head.

Tell you what. They claim to have been around since 1969. The 2IS is only two years old. No one has hit 50K miles yet (at least not anyone who we have proof of), so any damage done by a bad filter is not likely seen anytime soon. Go ask the 1IS forum or any of the older car forums and see if any of the owners have bought from them before. If they do and swear by them, then I would trust them.

All I'm trying to do is be a good, honest CL member, looking out for the best of others here. We're all trying to help each other, right?
Old 11-08-07, 04:04 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by mikeho
We don't use canister filters; the filter housing is built into the engine (don't know what that's called).
What our car uses, where you just replace the paper filter element, is called a canister filter. What is pictured on the L-Tuned site is called a spin-on filter.
Old 11-08-07, 04:43 PM
t.is350.h
Lexus Test Driver

mikeho....I'm not trying to diss, knock you...I'm the one who's asking the question. Any input would be very helpful to me. I appreciate your suggestion, but dude you need to relax.

I remembered someone talk about this website a while back, I don't remember if that person bought something from there, that's y I post this topic.

Quick Reply: Question!!! oil filter!!!