IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

1 year celebration

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-08, 05:53 AM
Pnuge88
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Default 1 year celebration

well its been a year since i got my car and i thought i'd share a snap shot of my car.. still waiting for some things to come in and then i'll do a little photo shoot and post some better picturess

just another stock looking car

Last edited by Pnuge88; 03-02-08 at 08:00 PM.
Old 02-04-08, 06:56 AM
carlos
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can you post some close-ups of the headlights? Did you remove the amber reflector or replace it with something else?

It's looking good.
Old 02-04-08, 07:06 AM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, I want to know how you got that unsightly amber reflector to be either removed or not noticable? That makes the car look so much better.
Old 02-04-08, 07:23 AM
Pnuge88
Lexus Champion

i just took out the amber reflector when i blacked out the housings. it looks ALOT better! and sorry i dont have any close up pics. this is actually the only picture i have of my car now cause i rebooted my computer. again until my cars done which who knows when then i'll get some nice pictures posted up. pretty much my cheap route isn't that cheap but the goal is keeping the OEM stock look.. just a few touchups to make it stand out from the plain stock ones

Last edited by Pnuge88; 02-14-08 at 11:01 PM.
Old 02-04-08, 08:17 AM
Seize
Loves Snickerdoodles!

Received 68 Likes on 53 Posts

1 year of ownership and no mods yet? That's just wrong
Old 02-04-08, 09:10 AM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by M1sTa801
i just took out the amber reflector when i blacked out the housings. it looks ALOT better! and sorry i dont have any close up pics. this is actually the only picture i have of my car now cause i rebooted my computer. again until my cars done which who knows when then i'll get some nice pictures posted up. pretty much my cheap route isn't that cheap but the goal is keeping the OEM stock look.. im going to customize the rear GFX lip, OEM trunk spoiler and the stock side skirts.. then probably painting my stock rims.. considering this car is sexy as it is stock.. some touch ups will make it stand out.. i guess you could call this thread a teaser? lol :P
So you must of had to heat up the headlight assembly and then opened it up to remove? Was that a difficult process?
Old 02-04-08, 11:43 AM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

happy b-day!
Old 02-04-08, 04:04 PM
xerxes717
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian231
So you must of had to heat up the headlight assembly and then opened it up to remove? Was that a difficult process?
+1. I'd like to know as well, the blacked out housing is sick.
Can you let us know how you took the housing apart and how you blacked it out please? TIA.
Old 03-02-08, 06:35 PM
Pnuge88
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by xerxes717
+1. I'd like to know as well, the blacked out housing is sick.
Can you let us know how you took the housing apart and how you blacked it out please? TIA.
i used a blowdryer to melt the sealant around the headlights and pryed it open. then i sanded the inner housings down then painted then sanded then painted then sanded then painted with a couple more layers and put everthing back together. took me a couple hours.
Old 03-02-08, 07:58 PM
xerxes717
Driver

i used a blowdryer to melt the sealant around the headlights and pryed it open. then i sanded the inner housings down then painted then sanded then painted then sanded then painted with a couple more layers and put everthing back together. took me a couple hours.
Thanks I'm actually more interested in the painting process than taking the assembly apart. Maybe I'm just daft, but I don't understand how the painting process worked. Did you spray the inside of the housing? It's obviously not opaque black, how'd you do that. The way it come out just looks incredible. I would really appreciate it if you could take/post some close-up pictures and some from the front. Thanks mate!
Old 03-02-08, 08:02 PM
ISmy350JDM
Pole Position

looken good
Old 03-02-08, 08:05 PM
Pnuge88
Lexus Champion

that chrome housing piece is removeable after you open up your headlights.. you sand that inner housing down (wet sanded) i didnt even use primer although i should have.. but after i wetsanded it i did a couple coats. sanded it again.. couple more coats.. sanded it again (2000 gritz sandpaper) and spray painted it again a couple layers till it was dry! then reassemble everything back together without the amber which i used tape to cover that chrome piece you see so i didnt paint it and thats how it turned out like that.. it would look alot better if i did this again.. i think its too blacked out but it still looks sick non the less
Old 03-02-08, 08:17 PM
Hartawan
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well its the cleanest looking stock car...
Old 03-02-08, 08:24 PM
xerxes717
Driver

that chrome housing piece is removeable after you open up your headlights.. you sand that inner housing down (wet sanded) i didnt even use primer although i should have.. but after i wetsanded it i did a couple coats. sanded it again.. couple more coats.. sanded it again (2000 gritz sandpaper) and spray painted it again a couple layers till it was dry! then reassemble everything back together without the amber which i used tape to cover that chrome piece you see so i didnt paint it and thats how it turned out like that.. it would look alot better if i did this again.. i think its too blacked out but it still looks sick non the less
Aaah i see now. I didn't realize there was a chrome piece in there
That's the only part you painted it looks like.

Again, if you can take a couple pics sometime, that would be awesome
Old 03-02-08, 08:28 PM
Pnuge88
Lexus Champion

i'll take a another pic someday lol i actually love how it turned out.. the LEDs for my DRL now kinda makes a halo ring relected around the blacked out part so it looks pretty bad *** during the evening. lol

Quick Reply: 1 year celebration