IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Hit and Run While Parked

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-08, 09:54 AM
subliiime
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hit and Run While Parked

So yesterday I went with some friends to Balboa Park to check out some museums. I parked in the parking lot well away from any other cars, but when I got back, the parking lot was PACKED. This usually causes some concern for me but I thought, nah my car is going to be fine. However, I come back to my car only to see this:

LexusIS350

Some turkey made an attempt to park his or her car next to me and just totally swiped the rear side of my car. There was a constant rain coming down so I know its kind of difficult to see, but that is the white paint from the other persons car all streaked up onto my car. No note left.

From what I can tell, there aren't any dents, just a whole bunch of streaks and scratches from the rear side bumper up to just below the gas tank. I'm going to take it in to a Lexus dealership though and have them do a more thorough assessment of the damages. I have insurance and the deductible is $500, but I'm not sure if the damages will be above that...that's where you CL guys come in...

Anybody else have any similar experiences? Maybe not the whole hit and run part, but paint streaks from another car? I looked at it closely and it seems that the white paint comes off without scratches at some points, but not so much at others. I'm hoping this can all be buffed away, but with my luck, there's going to be major scratches both on the bumper piece especially, and on the other piece above the bumper.

I'm just so pissed...
Old 01-28-08, 10:02 AM
Rollin'ES3
Lexus Test Driver

Sorry to hear that this happened. People can be very careless nowadays.

It seems as if it can be removed by buffing and polishing. It doesn't look like the your paint is chipped off, just there paint rubbed onto yours.

I would try polishing it and buffing it myself. Hopefully that works out, if it does not and you need further body work, then I would take it up with the insurance and have a Lexus certified body shop take care of it.
Old 01-28-08, 10:12 AM
Drunkebuda
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ouchhhh that sucks...yesterday some turd almost hit me god damm. He was in a mini van good thing my friends were in the car. They saw him trying to back out and he could not back out for ****. He was about 1 inch away from hitting my car. My friend jumped out of the sunroof and yell stop. He then tried to reback it up and still almost hit me. I can back and i left that spot asap cuz he could not drive. That looks like it would buff out and some good paint shop can get it fix for about 200-300 dollars. Dont take it up with the insurance i because from what i know with hit and run it is one strike on you due to the fact that they cant get money from the person who hit you. Also try to see if the museum have cameras or some street near by it could be caught on tape :P Hope you the best of luck
Old 01-28-08, 11:04 AM
CRB
Lead Lap

Yeah, as Rollin' said you won't know what if any real damage was done until you get all that other cars paint off of there. You might be surprised how nicely something like that cleans up. Paint transfers like that are kind of like door dings and, honestly, most people (unfortunately) aren't going to think twice about doing that and walking away.
Old 01-28-08, 12:06 PM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Make sure to document your damage on the "What Damage Ha sYOur Gen2 Sustained" post!!

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=285480
Old 01-28-08, 04:12 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Rollin'RX3
Sorry to hear that this happened. People can be very careless nowadays.

It seems as if it can be removed by buffing and polishing. It doesn't look like the your paint is chipped off, just there paint rubbed onto yours.

I would try polishing it and buffing it myself. Hopefully that works out, if it does not and you need further body work, then I would take it up with the insurance and have a Lexus certified body shop take care of it.
agreed! try to buff it out and im sure you wont notice anything. Good luck!
Old 01-28-08, 09:01 PM
iialcii
Lexus Champion

ouch. thats my biggest concern too when parking my car. always far away and out in the open, and what you know when i return. a car right next to mine. wtf seriously all theses spaces and you pick that one. Sorry to hear of your misfortune. It doesnt look that bad. take it to a detailer, you might be able to buff it out. if not a repaint of the side. if your doing thru insurance just get it redone at a good shop who can color match. good luck. Im extra careful in the city. place is a bumper car stadium
Old 01-28-08, 09:29 PM
NeverSatisfied
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by subliiime
Some turkey made an attempt to park his or her car next to me and just totally swiped the rear side of my car. There was a constant rain coming down so I know its kind of difficult to see, but that is the white paint from the other persons car all streaked up onto my car. No note left.
subliiime, welcome to the club! Your story mirrors mine in EVERY way; hit and run, no note, done by a white car. I posted pics in the "what damage has your IS suffered" (it's on the last page).

Looks like you've got some damage on the body panel as well. Can't tell if its just scuffed or scuffed, scratched & dented. Body panels cost a fortune to fix. If your bumper is scuffed, you probably need a new one. Don't think they can sand & re-finish plastic (?).

In my accident, no metal was hit, only the bumper and the very expensive parking sensor. The headlight washer cover flew off as well. The insurance adjustor came up with a $1067 total. I looked at his appraisal, and he put down "bumper hole access cover". Um, no. It's a headlight washer cover & unit! According to the body shop, the cost is going up.

I went through my insurance, and they considered it collision, not comprehensive, but, my rates won't go up, because my car was parked & unattended. They consider comprehensive vandalism. What's the difference if someone keys your car and leaves, or hits your car and leaves? Pretty similar, but whatever.

Remember, karma!
Old 01-29-08, 09:31 AM
subliiime
Rookie

Hey, thanks for the comments and feedback everyone..! It's kinda nice to know there are other people out there that are feeling the same pain as I am. Made me feel a little bit better actually..

Anyways, so after careful eyeballing and inspecting, and 2nd and 3rd and 4th opinions I've concluded that there is no real body damage or dents from the "event". Just a bunch of long scratches that I'll hopefully be able to buff off. I'm going to go ahead and invest in a high powered buffing machine this weekend and get to work on it. I've been told that after a few rounds of waxing and buffing, I shouldn't be able to notice any of the scratches (hopefully). If that doesn't go well, I'll go ahead and take it up with my insurance..

Gosh..brand new 2008 IS350...haven't even had it for 4 weeks and something like this happens. I'm going to have to start parking this thing even further away from everybody else now...

Anybody know where I can get those little orange traffic cones that I can put up around my car whenever I park?
Old 01-30-08, 03:39 PM
CeoStatus0
Pole Position

It was $700 (no cost to me) to repaint my rear bumper when I got rear ended
Old 01-30-08, 05:17 PM
burton159
Driver

ouch that sucks sorry man that must really suck ppl dont got the .... to MAN up and leave a note !! only thing is to buff it out and hoopefully itll come out CLEAN !!
Old 01-30-08, 05:31 PM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Received 30 Likes on 14 Posts

Apparently whoever hit me has made their way to Arizona...

Sorry to hear about your accident. Post some close up pics of the damage and we'll see if maybe that can be buffed out.

Javier
Old 01-30-08, 05:37 PM
burton159
Driver

that hurts my eyes !! in a way they better be in AZ lol id hunt them down ish !!

Originally Posted by javyLSU
Apparently whoever hit me has made their way to Arizona...

Sorry to hear about your accident. Post some close up pics of the damage and we'll see if maybe that can be buffed out.

Javier