IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Transmission service....Has anyone done it yet?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-08, 07:20 PM
gsrthomas
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeremy
Isn't there a Transmission fliud filter on the 2IS? When I was on TIS last time it showed one. Could the transmission service be the replacement of this filter and the small amount of tranny fluid in the pan? If so that would explain the $99 charge.
Yes there is a Transmission Fluid Filter underneath the pan. If you unbolt the pan you should see the filter.
Old 01-06-08, 08:34 PM
andoy
Driver

Can anyone verify if this holds true for manual trannys?
Old 01-07-08, 02:51 AM
t0e
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

I didn't bother reading the entire comment list.

But, I think they will change your differential fluid, and never your tranny fluid.
Old 01-07-08, 06:24 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This has been discussed before, and it was decided that there isn't a way to drain / fill more than maybe 20% of the fluid at a time (only the fluid in the pan) since the system is completely sealed.
Old 01-07-08, 06:39 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Gernby
This has been discussed before, and it was decided that there isn't a way to drain / fill more than maybe 20% of the fluid at a time (only the fluid in the pan) since the system is completely sealed.
I would think you can purge all the fluid through the cooler line at the radiator and while pumping in new the fluid into a imput on the trans.I've done it on a '05 Explorer with a no dipstick sealed tranny changing over to Amsoil trans fluid.
Checking of the fluid is done at that imput.You just let the excess drip out and when it really slows or stops..it's full.Now I haven't checked the IS to see if it's the same type set up but there has to be a way to add and/or change all the fluid.Some shops have machines but I don't like the pressure those machines use.
It's a pain in the **** but it can be done.
Old 01-07-08, 09:44 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

The transmission's cooling system is permenantly sealed too. It isn't like the older designs where the hoses could be disconnected from the heat exhanger to pump fresh fluid through.
Old 01-07-08, 09:49 AM
gsrthomas
Lexus Champion

I remember a while back someone posted how to change the WS Fluid from the IS's auto tranny. This was a Lexus Procedure for Lexus Techs.

Can anyone post this again?
Old 01-07-08, 09:49 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Gernby
The transmission's cooling system is permenantly sealed too. It isn't like the older designs where the hoses could be disconnected from the heat exhanger to pump fresh fluid through.
Well,if that's the case,then the only thing is do a filter change with a 20% fluid exchange.Maybe just not worth the effort.
If Lexus says it's a no maintenance thing..it will be for me.I am changing the diff fluid to 80w90 Amsoil the end of the month.
Thanks,Gernby
Old 01-07-08, 09:50 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Here is another thread about it. Lobuxracer posted some good info there.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...n+fluid+sealed
Old 01-07-08, 09:59 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by gsrthomas
I remember a while back someone posted how to change the WS Fluid from the IS's auto tranny. This was a Lexus Procedure for Lexus Techs.

Can anyone post this again?
If you are referring to the info that Lobuxracer posted in the thread above, that was not a procedure for changing the fluid. It was the procedure for filling the transmission after certain repairs.
Old 01-07-08, 10:00 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Plain and simple the trans doesn't need fluid changes. Check for leaks when you change the motor oil. Don't waste your money and time changing the fluid. You can not use those fancy fluid changing machines unless they are flushed with the WS fluid. The proprietary OEM WS synthetic trans fluid is very expensive and is only sold by the gallon.

Koz
Old 01-07-08, 10:13 AM
gsrthomas
Lexus Champion

You can just drop the pan and use to procedure to fill it?

Also, the file name is called "Transmission_fluid_change" not just fill only?

There has to be a proper way to change the fluid. I don't buy that there isnt a way to change it.

Old 01-07-08, 10:22 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

$10 a quart.
Attached Thumbnails Transmission service....Has anyone done it yet?-fluidstoyotawstrans.jpg  
Old 01-07-08, 10:46 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

The problem is that the whole system contains about 8 liters of fluid, and the pan only holds about 1.5 liters. There isn't a way to completely drain the whole thing and refill it. Unless you want to drain 1.5 liters, fill it back up, drive it, drain 1.5 liters again, fill it back up, drive it ... repeat ... repeat ... repeat until you feel that you've changed a significant percentage ... just leave it alone.
Old 01-07-08, 01:39 PM
HKS350
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

What about the filter and the metal that will be in the bottom of the pan. I had planned on doing a fluid and filter change b/c of the way I drive. I wouldn't think the filter would be lifetime..?

Quick Reply: Transmission service....Has anyone done it yet?