IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Garmin GPS mounting question

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-08, 11:14 AM
LexusTexas
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Garmin GPS mounting question

Santa brought me a 750, which I love so far (and yes I'm still glad I didn't get the nav system). I want to have it wired to the fuse box rather than having the big plug stick up out of the center console cig lighter. It's going in the very bottom left hand corner of the windshield and I'll run the cord down the side of the dash for a clean install look.

Question - can I use the drivers side fuse box to install another 12v plug or do I need to go the passengers side? (I plan on mounting the Radio Shack 12v plug under the dash and plug the gps into it.)

Alternative
- Using a vent mount in the center vents. Is there a way to remove the vent faceplate and run the gps wire through the dash to the passenger fuse box?

Any other creative solutions?
Old 01-05-08, 01:50 PM
mikes rx
I use "..." ....... a lot

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LexusTexas

Any other creative solutions?
Yes...use the garmin friction mount, place it in the center of the dash, and only use the DC adapter when needed. I have the 650, and can get an solid 3 and maybe 4 hours on a full charge.
Old 01-05-08, 01:56 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm going to mount mine like someone here posted.

Old 01-05-08, 02:56 PM
LexusTexas
Rookie

I really like to have it sitting up in the windshield so I can see all the surrounding streets and where they go with just a slight glance away from the road. Down by the ashtray would take some valuable time away from watching the road. Plus, the ash tray lid would always be open and the plug sticking up, not a clean look.

I may just end up using mikes suggestion and only have the cord running to the plug when it needs a charge. I asked Garmin, and they said that the permanent disk mount that glues to the dash can be removed with some goo-gone. I can get it in a better position mounted on the dash than having the circle mark on the window.
Old 01-05-08, 05:29 PM
mikes rx

I may just end up using mikes suggestion and only have the cord running to the plug when it needs a charge. I asked Garmin, and they said that the permanent disk mount that glues to the dash can be removed with some goo-gone. I can get it in a better position mounted on the dash than having the circle mark on the window.
NO!!!!!!!!!!, do NOT apply that circle disk. Spend the $40 and get the friction mount. It works GREAT, plus it can be transported from one vehicle to another whenever you want.

I'm willing to bet that that circle will leave a mark one way or another (either via sun fade over time or some glue residue left)
Old 01-05-08, 06:15 PM
IronPhoenX
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Joeb427
I'm going to mount mine like someone here posted.

That's my pic. I rarely have to look at my GPS since it has text-to-speech. The only times I have to look at it are when there's complicated intersections or when I get a phone call. It's also easy to reach in that position.
Old 01-05-08, 07:50 PM
aequitas3
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Be careful with mounting it, I know that certain places around the country people are smashing windshield to steal the GPS units...
Old 01-05-08, 08:27 PM
z4frosik
Pole Position

good thread i was wondering the same questions to myself, It somewhat of a bother to keep taking it off the window holder when ever i leave my car, in the even some one would see it and want to take it :[ .. but yea im looking for a creative spot.
Old 01-06-08, 11:20 AM
aequitas3
Driver

Originally Posted by z4frosik
good thread i was wondering the same questions to myself, It somewhat of a bother to keep taking it off the window holder when ever i leave my car, in the even some one would see it and want to take it :[ .. but yea im looking for a creative spot.
Yeah, I'd be very careful - especially since you're in NY..
Old 01-06-08, 01:14 PM
LexusTexas
Rookie

Well I decided to pony up $40 for the Garmin friction mount. It's stuffed it up in the very left hand corner dash/window as far as it'll go and I have to admit it's not as noticable as I thought it would be. I was concerned that it would look like I had a huge bean bag sitting on the dash, but since it's black, matches the black interior and up in the corner, you really can't see it from the outside. Looks like a keeper. Now I just need to have to have get a 12v plug installed off the fuse box.
Old 01-06-08, 01:58 PM
istundra
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Question - can I use the drivers side fuse box to install another 12v plug or do I need to go the passengers side? (I plan on mounting the Radio Shack 12v plug under the dash and plug the gps into it.)

Alternative
- Using a vent mount in the center vents. Is there a way to remove the vent faceplate and run the gps wire through the dash to the passenger fuse box?
What do you mean by "Fuse Box"?

I hope you are not thinking of jamming a wire into one of the fuses for power...

Pls TaP the Cig Lighter. Don't fcorce into Fuse Box.

These are not Hondas! On some Hondas, you can actually use a spade connector to access the accessory 12V... but on Lexus.. it doesn't exist.
Old 01-06-08, 02:02 PM
mikes rx

Originally Posted by istundra
What do you mean by "Fuse Box"?

I hope you are not thinking of jamming a wire into one of the fuses for power...

Pls TaP the Cig Lighter. Don't fcorce into Fuse Box.

These are not Hondas! On some Hondas, you can actually use a spade connector to access the accessory 12V... but on Lexus.. it doesn't exist.
There's a difference between "forcing into a Fuse Box" and using an Add-a-fuse.
Old 01-06-08, 02:37 PM
LexusTexas
Rookie

I'm going to take it to a local stereo installer and have them "connect" it to the fuse box with an add-on. Is the best solution to tap into the cigarette lighter, and is that under the passenger side?
Old 01-06-08, 05:43 PM
twkid84
Pole Position

i currently plug the antenna into the air vent, i know it's bad for my car but i am too lazy and i want a simplified look.
Old 01-06-08, 06:30 PM
istundra
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm going to take it to a local stereo installer and have them "connect" it to the fuse box with an add-on. Is the best solution to tap into the cigarette lighter, and is that under the passenger side?
I personally feel that taping the cigarette lighter is the best way to go.... It also looks much cleaner too. Imagine a lexus tech seeing that in your fuse box.

Quick Reply: Garmin GPS mounting question