IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Problems with a dealership what do i do?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-08, 04:52 PM
360LexusEs
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problems with a dealership what do i do?

Hi everyone i am EXTREMELY displeased.

This is what happened keep in mind this is the letter I have written to rallye lexus of Glen Cove NY

I purchased a Certified Pre-Owned 2007 Lexus IS 250 AWD for $32,872.86 on 11/21/2007 with 12,590 Miles on the odometer. I was told that due to the holidays they would need a week for the prep job which would correct any imperfections with the car which was fine with me. Upon receipt of the car on November 28th 2007, I Noticed a gash in the glove compartment, on the middle console plastic there was a scratch, the plastic paneling on the floor near the door was all scratched up (at all 4 doors) there was a scratch in the back seats leather, the leather on the driver side seat had an inch of cracked and dried out leather on the left side of the seat, the windshield had a nick in it that had begun to spread, I had 3 new tires and ONE CLEARLY USED TIRE, the bumper had four indents in it from what was obviously someone hitting into the back of it, and the dashboard on the passenger side was faded. Sounds like a great way to spend 32k doesn’t it? Ok fine, the sales manager Anthony Costanzo apologized, and after review of the problems assured that everything would be fixed, he told me give him a call and he would make an appointment for everything to be fixed. I called him the following week, and an appointment was made for 12/10/2007 or the week of 12/10/2007. Everything went smoothly, I dropped my car off and was given a loaner. The car was kept for a few days to make the necessary repairs. Upon receipt of the car, the windshield crack was not completely fixed, or replaced for that matter (which it should have been, I wasn’t under the impression I was buying a car with a small spider like crack in it.) it was simply filled in, the Manager Anthony Costanzo told me that is all they can do. Ok, next, upon inspection of the bumper, what a surprise the work wasn’t done. Add injury to insult, now I have a scratch on my rear passenger side door and the rubber on my right rear tire is cracking as if someone hit it against a curb. After inspecting the tires, it appears that instead of replacing the one tire that was NOT new, they replaced the 3 NEW tires with 3 USED tires. Now, since I cannot prove that the 3 tires were replaced with the used ones that were originally on the car, I will not even bother fighting it. In addition, the plastic paneling on the floor was not fixed/replaced. Anthony apologizes once again for the inconvenience and tells me to give him a call next week and he will set up another appointment. I made another appointment and my car was dropped off on 12/26/2007 to have everything fixed. Today, upon receipt of my car the four indents in the bumper were fixed, but the bumpers paint now looked grainy, and had what appeared to be a glob of paint on the top right side of the bumper. Once again, now for the THIRD time, a prep job that should have been done right back on November 21-28th was not corrected by January 2,2008. I have been driving loaner cars more than my own car. Your service technicians (or whoever is in charge for that matter of inspecting these vehicles before they are given to the customer) are very unprofessional and reflect poorly on your dealership. As a Freeport Resident, I could have chosen the Rockville Centre, or Massapequa locations to purchase a vehicle, but I chose Rallye Lexus of Glen Cove primarily because a friend of mine has experienced great service through your dealership for the past 7 years (although he admitted he did not have a prep job as horrible as this). This past month has been very disappointing, if this is how minor issues are addressed how would a major issue be handled? Now on January 3, 2007 I come to pick up the car for the FOURTH time and now the check engine light is on, and the traction control light!!!!!!!!!!! This is ridiculous!

I am going to contact the bank to report these problems I have been driving the damn loaner car more than my own car which is RIDICULOUS. Issues that I can see within 2 minutes of my arrival are not taken care of by the time i get there, besides contacting the bank any other recourse? I already put down 5 grand in cash on the car. Any insight would be very appreciated
Old 01-03-08, 04:57 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Wow!
That's a real horror story.
All you can do is continue to use their loaners and keep bothering them till they get it right.
That tire thing scares me about that dealership.

I don't think the bank can or will do anything,tho.
Old 01-03-08, 04:58 PM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

$32,872.86 for that kind of service? yikes!

You should have them to refund you $$$ and get a new one.....

Call the corporate office about your horror story....they will act faster than the dealer.....

Last edited by kickin8; 01-03-08 at 05:06 PM.
Old 01-03-08, 05:03 PM
LexRexBlue
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You should get your money back. How could that mess be considered a certified preowned Lexus! Also, that's too much money. I didn't pay that much for a brand new 2008 IS 250 AWD with navigation that I ordered in late Nov.
Old 01-03-08, 05:23 PM
360LexusEs
Driver

Yes it has been a horror, a huge headache, how would i go about getting the number to the lexus headquarters? Also when I say I paid 32k that was with taxes, and all that other stuff I paid 29750 not that thats great but I am also located in NY not sure if that makes a difference.
Old 01-03-08, 05:26 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by LexRexBlue
You should get your money back. How could that mess be considered a certified preowned Lexus! Also, that's too much money. I didn't pay that much for a brand new 2008 IS 250 AWD with navigation that I ordered in late Nov.
C'mon!
You paid less than $32,800 for an '08 AWD with NAV?An AWD with only the NAV option invoice is that much.No car just comes in with just NAV.
Old 01-03-08, 05:27 PM
LuckySeven
Rookie

Sorry to hear that bro, I mean, usually Rallye Lexus has one of the greatest services. I got my car from there and serviced from them. Never had a problem from them. GL!
Old 01-03-08, 05:32 PM
Old Oiler
Pole Position

One of us will get the corporate number for you. I'll check out my paperwork.

Reject the car until it is right. Also, if it's not correct per Lexus Corporate once they get involved, start working with your bank to get this right.

I would not take custody of the car until it is right.

Hopefully this is just a onetime issue with some heads that will roll and you'll be taken care of.

Cheers,
Old Oiler
Old 01-03-08, 05:38 PM
warhol
Driver School Candidate

didn't you see the condition of the car before you decided to buy it? i don't know what options were on your car but i think you could have bought a new 07 for a little bit more than what you paid.
Old 01-03-08, 05:39 PM
360LexusEs
Driver

^^^^ thank you Oiler I can't express how much I appreciate that, I almost feel like I don't want the car anymore, I purchased the car for the long haul 6-10 years, and if I'm having these issues early on I am scared to deal with the potential repairs after my 3 year warranty is up THANK GOD for this forum seriously.

[QUOTE]didn't you see the condition of the car before you decided to buy it? i don't know what options were on your car but i think you could have bought a new 07 for a little bit more than what you paid./QUOTE]

Of course I saw the condition of the car before I bought it, they assured me everything would be fixed before i picked it up, it was a prep job, all this should have been corrected BEFORE i picked the car up, before that phone call was made for me to come there and i have been there FOUR TIMES!!! Now there are issues with this car I didn't have BEFORE I dropped it off, check engine light and traction control lights are on all they were supposed to do is fix a scratch THEY caused, and 4 indents in the bumper that should have been corrected back in November!!!! There's no excuse for this, if I did this in my profession I would be out of a job. I have to now make a 5th trip to this place!

Last edited by 360LexusEs; 01-03-08 at 05:42 PM.
Old 01-03-08, 05:43 PM
BCP43002
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't see how that car could qualify as a CPO according to the Lexus web site let alone having a CEL:

Certified Pre-Owned vehicles are the perfect choice for those who prefer not to purchase new or used. With rigorous inspections and an excellent warranty, CPO vehicles are as close to new as you can get. The following guidelines apply to most Lexus CPO programs:

- Only late-model vehicles with low mileage that are in exceptional condition can qualify.
- Vehicles must exceed, meet or be reconditioned to pass stringent inspection standards.
- All the perks and benefits of a Lexus-backed warranty are provided.
- You'll receive the same Lexus premium ownership experience, with the superior level of respect and integrity that new-car buyers enjoy.
Each Lexus Certified Pre-Owned Vehicle is specifically chosen by a Lexus dealer and their team of experts. Next, Lexus-trained technicians perform a meticulous inspection. Only those models that meet the highest standards are then given a Lexus-backed, three-year/100,000-total-vehicle-mile warranty that begins on your date of purchase.

As the new buyer of a CPO vehicle, you are entitled to the privileges of Lexus ownership such as Assistance [1], a complimentary loaner car and Trip Interruption services. Find out more about this Stellar Coverage
The Lexus Customer Assistance Center:
Phone: 1-800-255-3987
Old 01-03-08, 05:59 PM
tshek
Pole Position

oh my.. you shouldn't buy that car when you saw these problems even they promise you to fix it. You should ask them to fix them before buying it.

But anyway, call the Cooperate office ASAP to tell them the story. Call them with an angry voice.. sometime too nice to other is only hurting yourself. In your case, they are taking advantage of you all the way.

Last edited by tshek; 01-03-08 at 06:05 PM.
Old 01-03-08, 06:04 PM
360LexusEs
Driver

[QUOTE]I don't see how that car could qualify as a CPO according to the Lexus web site let alone having a CEL/QUOTE]

Your the second person that has said this the first person that told me was another dealer, but after explaining that the car already had 12,500 miles on it, and I drive on average 24k a year he saw where it made sense, because a non cpo car I believe comes standard with a 4 year 50k warranty, after two years I would have been out of that warranty.
Old 01-03-08, 06:06 PM
Old Oiler
Pole Position

Hey guys, we don't know the full story of his purchase and we all know that there are STILL some Lexus salesmen out there that are still short in the honesty area.

I'm guessing that he went in to Lexus as an educated Lexus buyer, didn't we all?

Did any of you go in there not knowing "jack" and say, "That's a great deal, I'll take your word for it!".

To be honest, I don't know what qualifies as a "Certified Pre-owned Lexus", but with only 12K miles I'd say that's a start unless the car has been in a major wreck and they (Lexus) are not forthcoming about it.

It doesn't matter what he paid for it if he's happy (assuming the car gets corrected) he came in to this forum for advice, not insults for what he paid.

Cheers,
Old Oiler
Old 01-03-08, 06:08 PM
warhol
Driver School Candidate

the thing is you signed and took delivery of the vehicle on a "promise" that all these imperfections would be fixed. now it's kinda hard for you to get them to do anything. i hope you have their promise in writing.

Quick Reply: Problems with a dealership what do i do?