IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

IS 250 stick or clutch noise??

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-07, 08:46 PM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts
Default IS 250 stick or clutch noise??

I picked up my car clocked at 11 ODO 2 days ago. I now have about 330miles on it. with the windows up, I recently noticed (300 miles or so) when leaving at 1st gear, the stick or clutch would rattle and sounds like something (screw like) is lose in there. it would also do it when i shift to 2nd (but lighter noise). I already made an app. on monday but I just want to know what is/might be happening? anyone knows what I am talking about?
any help will be appreciated!!
Old 12-29-07, 09:16 PM
isam250
Pole Position

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts

have the same problem. dont know what to do wit it either dealership dont fix nuthinggg
Old 12-29-07, 09:28 PM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts

damn that svcks! I thought it was just my clutch lose because of the new car. anyone else with the 6 speed experienced this or not?? It gets annoying when the windows are up with the radio off, sounds like a beat up civic rattling, a 30k civic that is all I can say is they better find something wrong/lose that they are going to fix cause i paid wayyyyy too much for this to happen within the first 300 miles
Old 12-29-07, 10:02 PM
CRB
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Suggestion: roll down the windows and turn on the stereo. A lot of people have made this observation, the noise not the suggestion.
Old 12-29-07, 11:04 PM
Recluse
Pole Position

Sounds like you have the "jar of marbles" noise. I have it too, even after warranty clutch replacement. Do a search for posts under my user name and you can read all about it.

I was (and am) as upset about it as you appear to be, and it has really spoiled the enjoyment of the car.
Old 12-29-07, 11:34 PM
arksun
Driver

That sucks. I don't have any kinds of problems with my 6MT so far (or at least I haven't been paying attention). Hope it gets fixed for you.
Old 12-30-07, 11:28 AM
chuckler
Driver

i have it too. it kinda bugged me at first but i'm use to it now.
Old 12-31-07, 07:07 AM
Shoafb
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep, normal.... or at least for this car.... normal.....

I went with the argument that my buddies 15k Focus was much quiter, they still didn't do anything so after a little more then a year of putting up with it I traded back for a AT.

I remeber one member was able to get car replaced.... I can't remember who though.

Your best bet is to let them know if they can't fix it you intend to lemon law it. Do it now why the miles are low, maybe they can swap you out for a AT, I couldn't be happpier now.
Old 12-31-07, 07:43 AM
andoy
Driver

I'm aware of this "jar of marble" sound however i don't hear it on my car. My only main gripe is the fact that the clutch shudders during engagement on first gear. I have to be extremely careful when balancing the clutch on first gear to avoid the shuddering effect. other than that, my 6mt is flawless.
Old 12-31-07, 09:16 AM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

mine clicks when shifting from 1st to 2nd.....
Old 12-31-07, 09:20 AM
kiddolay
Rookie

Default Tsib

There is a TSIB for the Engine Rattling Noise at Cold Start. Check out FAQLEXUS. I have a 6MT also and I have an appointment for the 3rd so I cannot say for sure this will fix the problem. From another post, people have said the problem was fixed and they also noticed an increase in performance.

While you are at FAQLEXUS, check out the TSIBs for Brake Dust and Brake Squeal issues. In addition, they have the TSIBs out for the aux line input producing engine noise and rear view mirror vibrating if the sunroof is down. They got a bunch more but I found those 5 issues to be applicable in my case.
Old 12-31-07, 10:41 PM
Recluse
Pole Position

Originally Posted by kiddolay
There is a TSIB for the Engine Rattling Noise at Cold Start. Check out FAQLEXUS. I have a 6MT also and I have an appointment for the 3rd so I cannot say for sure this will fix the problem.
I kept a log for an entire month (then transferred it to a spreadsheet, which I turned over to the district service manager when I got my warranty clutch replacement), and in my case, it is definitely a problem that only occurs when the car is warmed up. When it is cold, my clutch is actually smooth and quiet. Which is just another reason that the noise bugs me so much.......
Old 01-02-08, 09:18 AM
kiddolay
Rookie

I also notice that and I will complain today when I take it in. I know one of the mechanics and he said they have worked on that problem on a lot of the cars already. I will post again after my car is "repaired" to see if the problem was actually fixed.
Old 01-02-08, 10:51 AM
Recluse
Pole Position

Originally Posted by kiddolay
I also notice that and I will complain today when I take it in. I know one of the mechanics and he said they have worked on that problem on a lot of the cars already. I will post again after my car is "repaired" to see if the problem was actually fixed.
Good luck, and I look forward to hearing what they fixed, and how everything turned out.
Old 01-02-08, 02:48 PM
06-IS250
Pole Position

I have a MT too and I have something similar i guess. When i shift down from 3rd to 2nd (lots of hills where i live), sometimes it makes a noise. sometimes it does, sometimes it doesnt, most of the time it does. I took it in, said everything is normal, so whatever. It doesnt bother me anymore, i always have the music blasting anyways.

and the clutch shuddering, yea, i have that too. if you arent careful with first gear, maaaaaad shuddering happens. THATS annoying.

Quick Reply: IS 250 stick or clutch noise??