IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

IS350 atrocious in snow. PLEASE HELP

Old 02-24-15, 09:24 AM
xliftedx
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IS350 atrocious in snow. PLEASE HELP

So, first of all, I have searched these forums for related topics and didn't find much help. Other people complaining about the IS350 RWD in the snow were pretty much excused as bad drivers or not have snow tires.

I just bought an 06 IS350 and I have to say, IT IS HORRIBLE IN THE SNOW. Like beyond belief. I know it's a RWD in the snow it's not going to be perfect, but my 99 BMW 528i was RWD and not nearly as bad as the IS.

My biggest grievance is the stupid traction control. Literally if it starts to slip at all, it starts beeping at me and shuts off power to the engine. So when there's an inch of snow on the ground and I'm crossing a stop sign, Oh great wheels slipped. Now I have to wait 5 seconds to go anywhere. This is supposed to be a sports car... yet it completely shuts down as soon I start to slide. I just want to keep moving when this happens. I've tried turning off the traction control, but not only does it not help, but it turns itself off after about a minute.

This is also very annoying when going up a slight incline, because as soon as it starts to slip, I lose all momentum... This doesn't seem safe either considering if someone starts to slide out, they lose all capability of correcting themselves. Just shut done and hope you slide to safety...

Please help me if I am doing something wrong. This seems like horrible engineering for a car that is supposed to be performance based. I mean, isn't the whole point of having a RWD car so that you can slide????
Thanks

Edit: I figured I would post this here so other people might see it. After doing the pedal dance (06 obviously), I've noticed all the difference. I'm sure snow tires would help a lot too, but I've come to the conclusion that the traction control system on these cars was poorly designed. It's no wonder they changed it on the 07+ models. This morning I couldn't even get out of my curbside parking spot without doing the pedal dance. The fact that it just automatically gives up as soon as you slip renders the car useless in the snow (Funny that there is a "snow" function). After turning the traction off I got out fine. For me this isn't too big of a deal since I only have to deal with it 4 months out of the year, but I don't know if I would buy this car again knowing this. More annoying than anything, but the rest of the car makes up for it so whatever. My 2 cents. Thanks everyone for your input.

Last edited by xliftedx; 02-26-15 at 12:51 PM. Reason: Conclusion added
Old 02-24-15, 09:49 AM
LucianoLee
Driver

I have the same 06 IS350. Turn your traction control off
Old 02-24-15, 09:52 AM
xliftedx
Driver School Candidate

How do I turn it off? When I push the button, it still does the same thing, and it turns itself off after a few seconds.
Old 02-24-15, 09:56 AM
laobo979
Lead Lap

Received 66 Likes on 47 Posts

As many other thread state learn your car it comes down to driver. You'll need to do a pedal dance is what we call it for 06 IS. Google or YouTube that the only way to turn traction completey off for 06 models. 07-up you just hold traction for five sec and vsc go off with it. I live in the north east and we been pumbel with snow stroms day after days. My IS350 RWD with snow ties and pass those with awd and 4x4. Key to any rwd proper tires and know your car ablity.
Old 02-24-15, 09:57 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

What tires are you running on it? What tires did your 528i have?
Old 02-24-15, 10:02 AM
xliftedx
Driver School Candidate

They both have all seasons. I am going to look into snow tires for the Lexus, but more than anything, I'm just bugged that it shuts off power to the engine.. Does the pedal dance work with a foot parking brake?
Old 02-24-15, 10:06 AM
laobo979
Lead Lap

Received 66 Likes on 47 Posts

That how you use it with parking foot brake not hard to do.
Old 02-24-15, 10:07 AM
scott1256c
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This will probably tell you how to turn off traction control completely
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...ml#post8561211

There are threads here that talk about snow/RWD/tires/traction control. Not sure how hard you looked. I'm one of those that thinks traction control is terrible on ice or slick snow and I can't stand it. I turn it off pretty much every time I start the car. The only exception is in high idle and really slick streets, without trac, you can get in the situation where the rear wheels will be trying to drive the car while the front are trying to brake (with the brake partially engaged) when in high idle. you can either turn traction control back on and wait for the car to warm up or be prepared to shift it into neutral a lot.
Old 02-24-15, 10:18 AM
xliftedx
Driver School Candidate

Awesome. Thank you guys for the input. I'm going to try the pedal dance and probably get some snow tires. I definitely felt like I was doing something wrong and that there had to be something I could do to help the situation. I think I just need more practice with it too, since it is so different from my old car. Thanks again!
Old 02-24-15, 11:27 AM
Lex_Giorgio
Instructor

Received 106 Likes on 88 Posts

To turn the traction off, just HOLD the button for 3-5 seconds, no need for the pedal dance...

And get snow tires. I've driven ISx50's in Quebec's winter with Nokian winter tires and everything on (PWR ECT, Traction on) and the car drives fine.
Old 02-24-15, 11:36 AM
xliftedx
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by GeorgeR
To turn the traction off, just HOLD the button for 3-5 seconds, no need for the pedal dance...
Doesn't work with '06 models I guess. Not really sure what pushing it without holding it even does.
Old 02-24-15, 12:00 PM
DKIS350
Rookie

I have a set of Blizzak WS70s on my RWD 350. With the traction control completely off, its actually become quite the impressive snow beast. We keep getting pummeled out here in NY and I havent been stuck even once. I drive 80 miles round trip for work. Without snow tires, I doubt id get much further than the end of my driveway.
Old 02-24-15, 12:09 PM
joshv06
Driver School Candidate

You definitely need snow tires. I had an IS350 with Blizzak's and it performed well and I live in Toronto where there is plenty of snow. I now drive an ISF with snow tires and it works very well. Acceleration requires a light foot and patience, but braking and handling are just fine. Ditch the all seasons and get a set of dedicated winters because your life is worth more than the price of a set of tires. If money is an issue check online for a set of used wheels.
Old 02-25-15, 06:53 AM
XSilverJ
Driver School Candidate

Another vote.. snow tires, traction control off. Getting snowed in here in MA as well
Old 02-25-15, 08:16 AM
Noeh
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Adding some weight in the trunk can also help with traction

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: IS350 atrocious in snow. PLEASE HELP