IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

weird problem when i brake...

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-07, 12:07 AM
250aznboi
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default weird problem when i brake...

when i am coming to a stop and i am applying the brakes... my steering wheel starts pulling to the left by it self. i've had this happen for quite a while and it scares the **** out of me when i am travelling at higher speeds. i have to grip the steering really tightly when i stop. It doesn't happen all the time though.. only sometimes =\.. i've taken it to the dealer and they said they cannot replicate the problem.. anybody have this problem or know what may be causing it? thanks
Old 11-29-07, 12:28 AM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

take it back to the dealer and have them check your alignment..... ?
Old 11-29-07, 05:14 AM
is250gurl
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

i was told by my dealer when i brought it to their attention that it's the way our car handles because of the low profile tires.
Old 11-29-07, 05:47 AM
shaolin
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Could be your tires... have you check your tire pressure lately? Also maybe you need to flip your front tires and rotate them from left to right since we can't rotate from front to back.

Also, I think some road condition will cost the car to pull to left or right when complete stop at intersection.
Old 11-29-07, 05:49 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I've never experienced that kind of problem.
Caliper hanging up?
Old 11-29-07, 05:59 AM
19psi
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

the irregularities in the roads will basically "trap" a wide low profile tire and cause it to pull one direction or another when braking at times. performance tires were designed for people who like to drive and pay attention to what is going on, so naturally they require more attention while driving.
of course you could have a brake caliper sticking. do you notice teh hot brake smell at all? is your left front wheel dirtier than your right front?
Old 11-29-07, 06:42 AM
RU514
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the same problem
Old 11-29-07, 07:04 AM
FiveOhNine
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 19psi
the irregularities in the roads will basically "trap" a wide low profile tire and cause it to pull one direction or another when braking at times. performance tires were designed for people who like to drive and pay attention to what is going on, so naturally they require more attention while driving.
of course you could have a brake caliper sticking. do you notice teh hot brake smell at all? is your left front wheel dirtier than your right front?
This is called tramlining, and it happens all the time when road irregularities are present, not just when braking.

TMK, Lexus doesn't outfit any IS (of any trim) with tires that would cause serious tramlining.
Old 11-29-07, 07:56 AM
ek9vboi
Lexus Champion

Might be a flat spot on your tire as well if you ever slammed the brake and skidded. Other then that, alignment or something with the brakes. Might be wrapped rotors.
Old 11-29-07, 08:10 AM
GoHuskers
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 111 Posts

I feel that sometimes in my AWD, usually when I stop to make a left turn. I believe that just because of the road surface and the low profile tires. No biggies.
Old 11-29-07, 10:28 AM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Received 30 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by 250aznboi
when i am coming to a stop and i am applying the brakes... my steering wheel starts pulling to the left by it self. i've had this happen for quite a while and it scares the **** out of me when i am travelling at higher speeds. i have to grip the steering really tightly when i stop. It doesn't happen all the time though.. only sometimes =\.. i've taken it to the dealer and they said they cannot replicate the problem.. anybody have this problem or know what may be causing it? thanks
Does this only happen when you apply the brakes, or does it happen while you're driving without braking?

Javier
Old 11-29-07, 10:45 AM
250aznboi
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by javyLSU
Does this only happen when you apply the brakes, or does it happen while you're driving without braking?

Javier
this only happens when i apply the brakes... i dont feel the car wanting to pull at any other time.

for the brake dust.. it seems to be even on both sides.
Old 11-29-07, 10:59 AM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Received 30 Likes on 14 Posts

^How many miles do you have on your car? If it only happens when you brake, you need to get the dealership (or anyone else with a micrometer) to check your rotor thickness. That's a common symptom of rotors that need resurfacing/replacement.

Javier
Old 11-29-07, 11:00 AM
Shoyuu
Lexus Test Driver

That's happened to me a few times also, but I always attributed that to the uneven surfaces. I'll have to mention that to my dealer at my 5k. Thanks for the suggestions
Old 11-29-07, 11:04 AM
viettho
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it happened to me as well, and it does that at the same place every time. So I assume it's the road causing it.

Quick Reply: weird problem when i brake...