IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

2IS insurance costs (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-05, 07:59 AM
krs71
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went to website of other insurance companies to get some quotes, everyone is breaking the 1000/6month barrier for this car...........that is just absurd.......
Old 12-13-05, 10:46 AM
dmacneill
Rookie

Well, my insurance situation seems quite good. I have a IS250 RWD on order, scheduled to come in by the end of February. I just talked with my insurance agent, and the IS250 was in their database. The premium for 6 months will be $438. I have my homeowners insurance with them also and have a good driving record, so this may enter into the premium amount. Anyway, I am pleased with that price.
Old 12-13-05, 10:48 AM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dmacneill
Well, my insurance situation seems quite good. I have a IS250 RWD on order, scheduled to come in by the end of February. I just talked with my insurance agent, and the IS250 was in their database. The premium for 6 months will be $438. I have my homeowners insurance with them also and have a good driving record, so this may enter into the premium amount. Anyway, I am pleased with that price.
Wow...mind if you share with us which company you're with and what kind of coverage you get?
Old 12-13-05, 11:06 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 189 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by XeroK00L
Wow...mind if you share with us which company you're with and what kind of coverage you get?
You really can't compare rates for S.Carolina with the Bay Area can you ?
Old 12-13-05, 11:09 AM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by AmethySC
Haha true. That's definitely an infinitely big variable.
Old 12-13-05, 01:36 PM
Cypren
Driver

When I got my IS350 it upped my insurance premium by about $800/yr -- I added it to the policy rather than replacing my old car. (Our total cost for three vehicles is $2200/yr now.) This is for 300/300 full coverage with a $1k deductible in SoCal, with both my wife and myself insured to drive it. I'm 25 with a spotless record, but poor credit -- and I'm insured with GEICO, so I'm sure that last factor is driving up my rate.
Old 12-13-05, 02:24 PM
06350is
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Cypren
When I got my IS350 it upped my insurance premium by about $800/yr -- I added it to the policy rather than replacing my old car. (Our total cost for three vehicles is $2200/yr now.) This is for 300/300 full coverage with a $1k deductible in SoCal, with both my wife and myself insured to drive it. I'm 25 with a spotless record, but poor credit -- and I'm insured with GEICO, so I'm sure that last factor is driving up my rate.
What kind of car did u have before the is350, i have a is350 on order i didnt get a quote yet for a insurence rate but im just hoping it dosnt cost much more then my Evolution was to insure
Old 12-13-05, 04:26 PM
codex57
Rominl Stalker

Originally Posted by cmusic
BTW Gieco wanted $1350/6 months, Progressive wanted $2450/6 months, and AIG wanted $4400/6 months for the same coverage on me.
For one car? That's insane! And you're in Kentucky too. Are you like a brand new 16 year old driver? Otherwise, I can't see how it could cost that much.

I live in one of the most expensive to insure places in Los Angeles, and thus, the country (the 00's), and my 2003 325ci (coupe) only costs about $600/6 months with 21st Century.
Old 12-13-05, 05:13 PM
cmusic
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by codex57
For one car? That's insane! And you're in Kentucky too. Are you like a brand new 16 year old driver? Otherwise, I can't see how it could cost that much.

I live in one of the most expensive to insure places in Los Angeles, and thus, the country (the 00's), and my 2003 325ci (coupe) only costs about $600/6 months with 21st Century.
I'm 34 now and have had the policy from Kentucky Farm Bureau Insurance (the biggest instate insurance company) since I was 16. My last claim was when I was 17. I have a perfect driving record. KFB insurance was $1120 a year, but that was for a Lexus SUV, probably the RX300. (Read my above post about the brainless agent that gave that quote.) I have 5 discounts taking between 3 and 30% off certain parts of my coverage.

Geico and AIG does not have agents in my area that I know of, so they were just high-balling the quotes to be safe. Progressive has a local agent but if I went with them I would not receive any discounts that I have now with KFB. I tried State Farm's website for a quote but they said my home address was not valid, so they would not give a quote.

I live in Eastern KY, think of the Beverly Hillbillies mixed with the brothers from the movie Deliverance. It's not that bad but my in area (There are plenty of intellegent people, but they don't get the publicity like the morons do.) but there are many non-insured drivers and an overabundance of lawyers willing to file any type of lawsuit as long as they get a big cut of the settlement. When you see three billboards advertising injury lawyers at a dangerous local intersection you know it is a bad area for driving.
Old 12-13-05, 05:37 PM
codex57
Rominl Stalker

Man, that's sucks. Still crazy. Your record is clean as far as insurance companies are concerned. I don't care if it's a 2006 LX470 or LS430. It still shouldn't be $1350/6 mo for you, let alone $4400/6 mo.

Least that $560 is pretty reasonable. Well, sorta. I doubt the IS350 will be much higher. Still, $560/6 mo sounds like Los Angeles prices. We've gotta have way more personal injury attorneys than in Kentucky. Guess they figure that anyone driving a luxury import would be a big fat target for the PI boys. Around my neck of the woods, every other car is a 3 series so an IS350 would just fly under the radar.

I always imagined a Lexus would only cost $2-300/6 mo to insure in areas like Kentucky. There's not too much car theft there right? Our car theft numbers are one reason why us big city folk pay such high insurance rates.
Old 12-13-05, 06:05 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

I think you guys are paying too much attention to other factors besides the most important one you should be which is risk.
Old 12-13-05, 06:29 PM
Morrissey
Driver

Well, I pretty much have minimal coverage. Not quite the state minimum, but it's still definitely not full coverage.

I bought a policy from Progressive Auto for $430/six months. It isn't that bad. It's enough insurance to cover the bulk of the car...just opted for high deductibles to make the insurance cheaper (gulp).

It would have been a lot lower than $430/six months, but I'm only 23 and I also have two speeding tickets on my record in the last 3 years, so that has a negative effect.

Overall, I'd go with Progressive. Other companies were quoting me around $850!!!
Old 12-13-05, 06:49 PM
06350is
Driver School Candidate

So whats everyone in NY with a loaded IS350 paying a year and whats your age and driving record like??
Old 12-13-05, 07:03 PM
codex57
Rominl Stalker

Originally Posted by kensteele
I think you guys are paying too much attention to other factors besides the most important one you should be which is risk.
He's got a clean record. That's the best type to compare cuz it should be a baseline. All insurance companies like people with nothing on their record cuz they're a good risk for them. It gets hard to compare prices if someone has 1 point, someone else has more, etc. cuz different insurance companies treat different point amounts different.

For example, my old insurance company let me have one moving violation on record without jacking up my rates. Others would jack it up immediately. If there's nothing, there's no way for insurance companies to differ in that situation.
Old 12-13-05, 07:50 PM
dmacneill
Rookie

Originally Posted by AmethySC
My insurance company is State Farm. I have 3 cars insured with them, with $250,000/$500,000 liability, $250 deductible for comprehensive, $500 deductible for collision, and the standard uninsured/underinsured insurance. According to Bankrate.com, South Carolina is ranked 30th and California 24th for the highest auto insurance premiums (New Jersey is ranked the highest).

Quick Reply: 2IS insurance costs (merged threads)